Aquarium of the Pacific...

Is this aquarium worth visiting? We have the whole day once we disembark our cruise and thought it would be neat to do. I am an aquarium brat though as I was a marine science major in college and have been to several that were rather disappointing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where is that located ?? I've not been to any aquariums on the west coast.

If you're asking about the Aquarium of the Pacific, it's in Long Beach & based on Google Maps it's a 1.4 mile, 28 minute walk from the Long Beach Cruise Terminal where Carnival ships embark/disembark ships & a few other cruise lines such as Princess may spend the day for a port of call when in-transit.

Where is that located ?? I've not been to any aquariums on the west coast.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is in Monterey, about an hour or so south of San Francisco. The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach is OK - but having visited Monterey first, our experience was a bit like eating Californian Sushi after you've had your senses awoken in Tokyo... But as I mentioned, family and friends from Blighty enjoyed it and so who are we to argue?

Monterey (city and area) is gorgeous. Think https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Cypress.

But it is too far for a day trip from Los Angeles if you have a ship to catch that evening.

Visit The Bay Area (San Francisco, Monterey, San Jose, Berkeley, etc.) for a few days when you can and check out the Monterey Aquarium then. :)

Thank you all! Yeah, I knew where Aquarium of the pacific was and I think we will stick with that. Planning on going once we get off the ship since we will have the rest of the day. Figured we could go there for a few hours or so and then travel up the coast before heading back to our hotel in LA Cannot wait!! :)

Thank you all! Yeah, I knew where Aquarium of the pacific was and I think we will stick with that. Planning on going once we get off the ship since we will have the rest of the day. Figured we could go there for a few hours or so and then travel up the coast before heading back to our hotel in LA Cannot wait!! :)

You can search online for AOP discounts & here's a list of some listed on their website.

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/visit/discounts

Edited by Astro Flyer

If you're asking about the Aquarium of the Pacific, it's in Long Beach & based on Google Maps it's a 1.4 mile, 28 minute walk from the Long Beach Cruise Terminal where Carnival ships embark/disembark ships & a few other cruise lines such as Princess may spend the day for a port of call when in-transit.

Both the Aquarium and the port (Queen Mary stop) are along the free Long Beach Passport bus route.

Both the Aquarium and the port (Queen Mary stop) are along the free Long Beach Passport bus route.

Good to know although according to Google Maps the bus takes a longer route & it only saves 10 minutes. It's a better option for anyone with mobility issues but we'd want to burn off a few calories by walking. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is in Monterey, about an hour or so south of San Francisco. The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach is OK - but having visited Monterey first, our experience was a bit like eating Californian Sushi after you've had your senses awoken in Tokyo... But as I mentioned, family and friends from Blighty enjoyed it and so who are we to argue?

If you can make it to Monterey in an hour, I am not riding with you!! It is a solid 2 hours.