Sales Tax in US Ports on soda / alcohol

esm54687

Hi,

I tried searching but there are a gazillion posts with the term "tax" "ports" "alcohol"..... so I was hoping someone could point me to a site or thread that has a complete list of US Ports that charge sales tax on drinks.... I've tried many different searches for this using Google but came up empty.

Happy Thanksgiving!

TIA

sent using Forums mobile app

Not sure about a real list, but definitely NYC, Texas, Alabama, and Florida. While in port that is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Edited by OohLookShinyThings

Not sure about a real list, but definitely NYC, Texas, Alabama, and Florida. While in port that is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Add California , Washington and Alaska. basically any tax that has added taxes on purchases is on the list.

Edited by Kamloops50

That's semi true Kamloops because Maine has a sales tax on food but the tax for alcohol is buried in the actual price and not itemized...... so how would that work?

I appreciate the replies!!

So far:

Alabama

Alaska

California

Florida

Loisianna

New York

Texas

Washington

Edited by esm54687

In Texas, there was a certain perimeter where the ship has sailed before they can serve liquor without tax. On last night before disembarkation on Texas port. all bars refrained from serving liquor starting at 7pm unless the passenger is willing to be charged with liquor tax.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

This is great info we are collecting. It's only a small amount per drink but it's helpful to know.

States that charge alcohol sales tax while in port:

Alabama

Alaska

California

Florida

Louisiana

New York

Texas*

Washington

*within state territorial waters

In Texas, there was a certain perimeter where the ship has sailed before they can serve liquor without tax. On last night before disembarkation on Texas port. all bars refrained from serving liquor starting at 7pm unless the passenger is willing to be charged with liquor tax.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

They don't serve you a drink unless you agree to pay the tax?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They don't serve you a drink unless you agree to pay the tax?

I was in Miami and rushed onboard to get a drink (I had the UBP) and was keen to try one! They got the drink but I had to sign for it, I wasn't really sure about the UBP at the time so I just signed it. They mentioned afterwards that there was a couple of dollars sales tax.

Any clue if taxes are charged while in port for Norwegian Sky?

Taxes are not based on ship but based on port they are in...... this is not a NCL (cruise line) charge but a city/county/state tax.

Edited by esm54687

Taxes are not based on ship but based on port they are in...... this is not a NCL (cruise line) charge but a city/county/state tax.
Actually the Sky is different, because the open bar offer is included in the price of the cruise, for everyone. When you get a drink that is covered by this offer, they don't swipe your card, so they can't collect taxes. (I haven't been on the Sky so please correct if I'm wrong.)

If you order a drink that is not included, then you have to pay for it and I guess you will pay Florida or Bahamas tax (if the ship is in Floridian or Bahamian territorial waters).

Actually the Sky is different, because the open bar offer is included in the price of the cruise, for everyone. When you get a drink that is covered by this offer, they don't swipe your card, so they can't collect taxes. (I haven't been on the Sky so please correct if I'm wrong.)

If you order a drink that is not included, then you have to pay for it and I guess you will pay Florida or Bahamas tax (if the ship is in Floridian or Bahamian territorial waters).

did not know about the Sky open bar thing... thank you

I was in Miami and rushed onboard to get a drink (I had the UBP) and was keen to try one! They got the drink but I had to sign for it, I wasn't really sure about the UBP at the time so I just signed it. They mentioned afterwards that there was a couple of dollars sales tax. Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Florida Sales Tax is 6% so the drink(s) you ordered had to have totaled $34.

Doesn't Texas also limit the brands that can be served? I seem to remember that happening to a few posters here.

Doesn't Texas also limit the brands that can be served? I seem to remember that happening to a few posters here.

Yes, when cruising from Houston there was a limited number of brands available until you got to international waters. They also sealed in room mini fridge until you are in international waters.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

They hand you a bill. Sign the bill to get your drink. There is no "agreeing". You are making a purchase.

I know this. I was questioning the one I quoted. They said you have to agree to it. I've never sailed from Texas and was asking if it's SOP there.

While in Texas waters sales are limited to alcohol that was purchased in Texas.

They also started applying state duty on imported alcohol to cruisers, rates are low but beware if you like miniatures :eek:

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/tax_rates.asp

I was on the Sky in August.

Short answer - unless you order something that isn't included, you will not be charged the sales tax. :D