Rome Hotels

dgcruises

I have read a number of posts and am considering some hotels mentioned. We will be staying 3 nights in late Sept 2017.

Most hotels state double or 2 singles, the pictures tend to be confusing as some show what look like large King beds and some appear almost to be small standard 54 inch double beds.

Does anyone have experience with the bed size for a double in Rome hotels and also whether the following are good choices.

Hotel Delle Nazoni, Via Poli

Albergo Santa Chiara Rome, Via Santa Chiara

Hotel Pantheon, Via Dei Pistini

If anyone has any other recommendations in the Pantheon/ Trevi area please provide.

Online photos are notoriously undependable -- images can be stretched unintentionally (to fit the space) or intentionally (to make rooms appear larger).

My experience in Rome has been that double beds are actual double beds. Sometimes a "large double bed" in the description could mean a queen. King size beds are rare and usually only found in American-style hotels (in deluxe rooms).

Of course, sometimes a "double bed" is really two twins pushed together and covered by a single coverlet or duvet....

If it's important to you, I'd double check directly with the hotel.

As to hotels, I stayed in the Albergo Santa Chiara just about a year ago and really enjoyed it. Over the years I've tried a lot of different hotels in Rome, especially around the Pantheon. The location there is my favorite. (I've also stayed at the Spanish Steps, at Termini station, and near the Forum.)

When I stayed at the hotel, my room was very recently and nicely renovated -- new curtains and bedding, fluffy towels -- but small. In fairness, I travel solo and most of the rooms I've had as singles ARE very small in Europe. I believe the standard doubles are a fair size though.

If you want to look at other hotels in the area, the Albergo Cesari, though not as close to the Pantheon, is nicely located in between the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain in a very pleasant area, especially in the evenings.

Thanks cruisemom,

What are your thoughts on the Spanish Steps area. I saw a hotel there, the Garibaldi Suites which looks appealing and on contact they say the bed is large like a king.

We decided to rent an apartment for 3 days this June for our stay in Rome. The cost is way better than a Hotel and more room. Our Rental contact answers all our questions within 12 hours. Easy for payments also. Just make sure to read the reviews, they say more than what the renter offers in the description. The pictures and reviews confirm the bed size and space shown on the page. Our apartment is larger than we need but for half the cost of a hotel room. We found it through Home Away. We did the same when we went to Paris 3 years ago, only 3 nights and rented an apartment. Super easy and way better than a Hotel, more room and privacy. Just an idea!!

The Spanish Steps area is fine, it's just a bit further away from the absolute center, i.e., for visiting many of the historic sites). The several streets that run from the bottom of the steps are chock-full of very high-end designer shops (not really for me but nice window-shopping). There are some good restaurants in the area but not as much of a "piazza outdoor living" vibe as in the area(s) around the Pantheon.

Thanks cruisemom,

What are your thoughts on the Spanish Steps area. I saw a hotel there, the Garibaldi Suites which looks appealing and on contact they say the bed is large like a king.

I would call it more Via Condotti area - the Spanish Steps are up 2 blocks and across a block or two. As cruisemom said, lots of places to eat and window shop. Not much for sightseeing. Traffic is horrendous in this area - I recommend walking instead of trying to do a taxi. YOu're going to have to walk a tad to get to the Centro Storico. But, you can go over to the Spagna Metro station and catch a Metro to Colosseo to get to the Colosseum/Forum area. Given pricing for there vs. the Pantheon area, I'd go to the Pantheon area. I stayed at the Grand Hotel della Minerva once and loved being in that area. I stayed up above the Spanish Steps at company hotels on Via Veneto - I walked down through the Spanish Steps area all the time to get to the Centro Storico.

If you want to look at other hotels in the area, the Albergo Cesari, though not as close to the Pantheon, is nicely located in between the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain in a very pleasant area, especially in the evenings.

We stayed at the Albergo Cesari for three nights in the fall of 2014 and really enjoyed it. The location was fantastic. Just minutes from the Pantheon. We walked everywhere we wanted to go, from the Vatican to the Colosseum. The hotel is older, and the furniture is too, but the staff were great and the rooftop terrace was a wonderful place for breakfast, as well as for drinks in the evening.

We had a "Classic Double Bed" room; the room itself was quite large, the bathroom was enormous, and I don't recall any issues with the size of the bed.