Liberty fails health inspection.

Thorncroft

I may be a little gullible, but when a company has 25 ships in a fleet, don't you think eventually some may fail?

I know NONE should fail, but I was just thinking with soo many ships, its bound to happen.

I may be a little gullible, but when a company has 25 ships in a fleet, don't you think eventually some may fail?

I know NONE should fail, but I was just thinking with soo many ships, its bound to happen.

Yes...But the amount of fails over the past 2 months is unheard of with the major lines. After the Triumph fail and beforer the Vista and Breeze failed inspections ...I did a quick analysis of the major US lines..... Carnivals Inspection average was just over 92%...Almost 3% lower than the next cruise lines average score. Remember they have 25 ships so a low score can more easily be absorbed in the average vs a line with 10 ships . I should point out a higher score can also have less impact as well..... Regardless....4 fails in a 2 month period is not common!! Also I'm not a Carnival hater....I pretty much cruise Carnival exclusively

Failing for filth and sanitation and food handling is disgusting and unacceptable any time.

Interesting to note that if one dishwasher wasn't running too hot, the automatic bromine and Ph tester in one hot tub wasn't off (mind you the levels were still in spec, the unit just needed calibration) and the espresso maker and coffee maker in the engine room was cleaner, the inspection would have easily been given a passing score.

Well, let me jump into another Carnival USPH thread. These four failures are unheard of, and frankly worrisome to me. I've read the reports, and I know from first hand experience what the inspections entail, and what the written infractions mean, and I can tell you that even given the egregious problems on Vista, characterizing these inspection failures as "filth" is way over the top.

Do you know of any restaurant in your area that has to obtain all their kitchen equipment from suppliers who will modify that equipment so that there are special screws to hold it together, since the USPH considers normal slotted and Phillips head screws to be "difficult to clean and not acceptable"? Do you know of any restaurant where the inspector will go around looking at every joint in the walls and ceilings, as well as counters and equipment, and if they can slide a credit card into the joint (less than a 1/16") it is not acceptable? If your restaurant had an old style dial telephone, where the transmitter and receiver covers (mouthpiece and earpiece) screwed on, would that be considered "not easily cleanable and unacceptable", as was the case here?

USPH inspectors have told be that even a ship with a failing grade is preferable to them for eating their own meals, over 90% of most land restaurants. In many cases, what is a failing grade to the USPH would rate an "A" on a local health inspection.

Now, having said that, what appears to me to be happening is that there have indeed been cut backs in staff at Carnival, but I won't say its onboard crew being cut back, but the corporate USPH compliance department. These folks, at most cruise lines, travel to all the ships in the fleet, at least annually, to conduct their own inspections and to conduct training. From the fact of repeated problems over several ships, it is clear that this is not happening. At the very least, after the first failure in November, there should have been instructions to all ships that could not be visited, regarding specific areas that the inspectors would be keying on. It appears from inspector remarks that shipboard management does not know what is required, and this shows a total failure of corporate culture with regards to ship sanitation.

Carnival is in big trouble, and USPH will be keying on them heavily over the next year. They need to do a top to bottom complete overhaul of their sanitation culture. It needs to be drilled into everyone onboard from the dishwasher to the Captain, that every action they take must be done with the USPH requirements in mind, and those actions must be done without conscious thought, it must be reflex action.

I'm sailing on the conquest in four months. The conquest has almost always scored above 90, with the exception of their last inspection over a year ago where they got an 89. It is my hope this is not the start of a downward trend for them. Looking forward to seeing the results of the next inspection, whenever it is.

and yes, the number of overall failures fleetwide is troubling to say the least.

There are probably a lot of restaurants in your home town. Wouldn't you avoid the ones that had bugs, human hair, and temperature control problems with the food?

There's brand loyalty and then there's blind optimism.

There are probably a lot of restaurants in your home town. Wouldn't you avoid the ones that had bugs, human hair, and temperature control problems with the food?

There's brand loyalty and then there's blind optimism.

And there's a lot of people I wouldn't get behind in a buffet line, no matter how clean the galley and food prep area is.

Not if those charged with responsibility for a ship are doing their jobs.

As for the "buffet line," I wouldn't eat at a ship's buffet that wasn't served by galley personnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My take on what a possible contributor to these recent failings could be too much growth too quickly. Carnival Corp is putting more and more ships into service and quite frankly, probably not enough quality staff to service each of these ships adequately. I don’t see this as Carnival “cutting back” but more of possibly Carnival growing too quickly and diluting their trained personnel too thin. We have seen this numerous times as rapid expansion dilutes the talent pool making it difficult to keep standards up. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carnival Corp has added 6 ships across all lines in the last 4 years. RCI has added 4 larger (more crew per ship) ships. Carnival cruises itself has added only 1 ship in the last 4 years, and the other lines under the Carnival Corp umbrella don't seem to be having problems with passing USPH inspections. They also don't tend to poach across sister lines. This is a failure of Carnival management, nothing else.

Going to the CDC website for cruise ship inspection failures I compared the 2 largest cruise lines results:

Carnival failures

Ship Date Score

Liberty 1/18 80

Breeze 12/17 77

Triumph 11/17 78

Paradise 6/17 83

Fascination 10/16 74

Legend 10/06 71

Pride 8/04 83

Victory 1/01 83

Sunshine 1/99 81

Fascination 6/97 74

Fantasy 3/90 78

Royal Caribbean failures

Adventure OTS 10/15 84

Majesty OTS 2/97 85

What is most disturbing to me is that Carnival has had 5 failures in the past 15 months vs 6 previous fails over more than 20 years. And the 5 recent fails are 2 1/2 times what Royal has ever had.

Going to the CDC website for cruise ship inspection failures I compared the 2 largest cruise lines results:

Carnival failures

Ship Date Score

Liberty 1/18 80

Breeze 12/17 77

Triumph 11/17 78

Paradise 6/17 83

Fascination 10/16 74

Legend 10/06 71

Pride 8/04 83

Victory 1/01 83

Sunshine 1/99 81

Fascination 6/97 74

Fantasy 3/90 78

Royal Caribbean failures

Adventure OTS 10/15 84

Majesty OTS 2/97 85

What is most disturbing to me is that Carnival has had 5 failures in the past 15 months vs 6 previous fails over more than 20 years. And the 5 recent fails are 2 1/2 times what Royal has ever had.

Bob...Yup my analysis showed the same thing. A very disturbing trend!! One positive...There has not been a norovirus breakout on any Carnival ship for the past 2 years.... But with sanitations issues, like on the recent reports, just a matter of time for these breakouts!

Bob...Yup my analysis showed the same thing. A very disturbing trend!! One positive...There has not been a norovirus breakout on any Carnival ship for the past 2 years.... But with sanitations issues, like on the recent reports, just a matter of time for these breakouts!

Very little correlation between USPH inspection scores and noro outbreaks. If you do your analysis the other way, the ships that don't have failing scores have noro outbreaks. The USPH inpsections focus on preventing food borne illnesses like salmonella, and e. coli, and inhalation illnesses like legionella. The CDC recognizes that the primary transmission vector for noro is poor personal hand hygiene, and while they (USPH) can regulate the gloving and hand washing of crew, there is no way to prevent passengers from infecting surfaces and passing noro on to others.

One thing that should be kept in mind, and I don't know the ship's schedules from years back, but a frequent cause of a failing score for a ship (though not a totally mitigating factor in my opinion) is when a ship has not called on US ports for a while (a season in Europe for example), and the crew falls out of the habit of meeting the USPH requirements, because they are required to meet EU's ShipSan requirements, for instance. The two systems, as examples, are similar, but not identical in how they consider things.

Don't worry about my dots and how I connect them. :rolleyes:

I won't as long as you don't make blanket assertions or hold someone responsible for something they have no control over.

You do realize that as Brand Ambassador, he only repeats what corporate allows him to. He does have a certain amount of discretion when it comes to simple questions and matters already made public, but he can't make statements regarding health issues unless he is given a directive to do so.

I won't as long as you don't make blanket assertions or hold someone responsible for something they have no control over.

You do realize that as Brand Ambassador, he only repeats what corporate allows him to. He does have a certain amount of discretion when it comes to simple questions and matters already made public, but he can't make statements regarding health issues unless he is given a directive to do so.

They don't even need him. They have their own page that they can launch annoucements from and answer questions. Big Daddy's days are numbered.