Cabana prices on Eurodam

AlohaJoy

Hello,

I sent an email inquiry about prices for 10 day cruise on Eurodam. I am a solo cruiser. This was the quote I received.

Lido - $299/full voyage

Retreat - $499/full voyage

Does that seem high? They also stated they rent by the cabana not how many people using cabana.

Thank you. I will take a pass on the cabana. I was placed in a Juliette balcony on deck 11 for my stateroom, and since I was near Retreat thought I would inquire. Oh well. I will take my chances with a spa package instead.

Thank you. I will take a pass on the cabana. I was placed in a Juliette balcony on deck 11 for my stateroom, and since I was near Retreat thought I would inquire. Oh well. I will take my chances with a spa package instead.

When you board the ship, you could check with the front desk to see if there are any available for individual days. If they are not completely sold out for the entire 10 days, you should be able to book a couple of days. We did that back in 2011, when we were on a very port-intensive Mediterranean cruise and were able to book just the two sea days. Unfortunately, the Retreat Cabana pricing has gone up recently - we used to get one for the week for $299, but this year the price has gone up to$399 for the week.:o

Just a note of caution to those interested in renting the Family Retreat Cabana on the Konigsdam. That cabana is MUCH smaller than its counterpart on any of the other ships that have Retreat Cabanas.

In the description, it says that the cabana holds four adult loungers but there is no way that you can put four loungers in that cabana and still move around or even get to each of the loungers. There are only two loungers and two chairs in the cabana (no table to eat your lunch at -- they have put more tables and chairs in the common area to make up for that).

Why HAL built a beautiful new ship and downsized the Family Retreat Cabana is beyond me. There is no discount for the smaller amount of real estate, either!

• 7 months later...
We will be on the Eurodam 18-dayer out of San Diego in November 2018.

Just booked a 2 person Retreat Cabana for the full 18 days for $699.

If it's the RT to Hawaii, I'll be one of your Cabana neighbors. :)

If it's the RT to Hawaii, I'll be one of your Cabana neighbors. :)

That's great. The part of cruising we enjoy the most is meeting new people. we will be in the center cabana overlooking the pool. look forward to meeting you.

Holland America is not renting cabanas for their health, as they say. It is a money making scheme to charge for a deck chair that used to be free.

igraf

Hello,

I sent an email inquiry about prices for 10 day cruise on Eurodam. I am a solo cruiser. This was the quote I received.

Lido - $299/full voyage

Does that seem high? They also stated they rent by the cabana not how many people using cabana.

Holland America is not renting cabanas for their health, as they say. It is a money making scheme to charge for a deck chair that used to be free.

igraf

Of course there are no other amenities or incentives to rent a cabana...come on, give all the facts, please.

Food and drink? One can get that just about anywhere on the ship.

At the end of the day a cabana is HAL charging for a deck chair.

igraf

Of course there are no other amenities or incentives to rent a cabana...come on, give all the facts, please.

Food and drink? One can get that just about anywhere on the ship.

At the end of the day a cabana is HAL charging for a deck chair.

igraf[/quote

I love posts like these that discourage people from renting a cabana so that we can get one every time we sail! I would list the complete story of what it is like to rent a cabana and why we will never sail without one but we need to keep this a bigger secret!

... Why HAL built a beautiful new ship and downsized the Family Retreat Cabana is beyond me...

It's really quite simple: HAL is a for-profit corporation which attempts to make as much money as it reasonably can, all for the good of its shareholders. As a CCL shareholder, I am grateful that HAL has found ways to increase its revenue by converting heretofore non-revenue areas of its ships into revenue generators.

igraf

It is my understanding that part of HAL's reason for creating the Cabana area was in response to complaints of many passengers that "free" deck chairs were not available because so many (inconsiderate) passengers "reserved" deck chairs (by placing towels or other personal items) and then used them for only a small portion of a day. Whether or not that is true, however, I am happy/grateful that HAL has found such a good revenue opportunity. Thanks, HAL! (y)(y)(y)

We have cruised to Alaska on HAL several times and almost never had a problem finding a quiet place to sit and watch the scenery. The only exception is the close up views of calving glaciers, and everyone is usually standing for that. I am pretty sure that i would not want to be enclosed by a cabana tent during glacier calving!

HAL even used to provide warm blankets for everyone but the blankets seem to be gone now, perhaps to entice cabana sales.

The Lido pool cabanas on the Signature Class ships are a sore point for me as that area provides nice overflow tables for the buffet on the the older ships. I am not inclined to sail on Signature Class ships for that reason.

igraf

The lido cabana on the Alaskan cruise was amazing. I would never sail Alaska without one. Nice area with blankets and reserved space that is enclosed. You could set up for the day and then wander in and out at your leisure

It is useful to consider the concept of privatized Lido buffet tables. All the pro-cabana arguments would apply: "I liked having it", "it solved the crowd problem for me", "good for the stockholders", and of course never mind how this makes the Lido buffet even more crowded for everyone else.

Hey, they all had their chance to pay for a private table, right?

igraf

It is my understanding that part of HAL's reason for creating the Cabana area was in response to complaints of many passengers that "free" deck chairs were not available because so many (inconsiderate) passengers "reserved" deck chairs (by placing towels or other personal items) and then used them for only a small portion of a day. Whether or not that is true, however, I am happy/grateful that HAL has found such a good revenue opportunity. Thanks, HAL! (y)(y)(y)

• 4 months later...

Hi, all! Question about the Lido Cabanas. for Alaska. We're on Nieuw Amsterdam in August, party of 5. If we did 2 cabanas on GB day, could we just open the partition and have the space for in/out viewing for 5 people? 3 adults and 2 teens? Thanks!

On 1/29/2018 at 3:25 PM, AlohaJoy said:

Hello,

Lido - $299/full voyage

That's correct pricing. We just had one on the Zuiderdam in late December on a 10 day cruise.  It's two people per cabana unless you get a family cabana, in which case it's four. They were pretty strict about enforcing the limit on the number of passengers. There were some unhappy people who thought that renting a cabana was like some sort of all-you-can-fit, clown car thing. If you have two people, you're fine. If you have more than that, go for the family cabana or rent multiples.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:41 AM, ithaca gal said:

I love posts like these that discourage people from renting a cabana so that we can get one every time we sail! I would list the complete story of what it is like to rent a cabana and why we will never sail without one but we need to keep this a bigger secret!

As I mentioned in my Live From thread, there were no robes and no slippers on the Zuiderdam in December. People should save their money and skip the cabanas. To add insult to injury, some days there were no chocolate covered strawberries - only frozen grapes. (Not even white chocolate covered, or caramel dipped frozen grapes. Just grapes. Frozen. On a stick. Our vacation was RUINED.) :classic_biggrin:

poohby-cabana-champagne_LUCiD.thumb.JPG.39f22078dfc340a250fa461045148b07.JPG

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

As I mentioned in my Live From thread, there were no robes and no slippers on the Zuiderdam in December. People should save their money and skip the cabanas. To add insult to injury, some days there were no chocolate covered strawberries - only frozen grapes. (Not even white chocolate covered, or caramel dipped frozen grapes. Just grapes. Frozen. On a stick. Our vacation was RUINED.) :classic_biggrin:

poohby-cabana-champagne_LUCiD.thumb.JPG.39f22078dfc340a250fa461045148b07.JPG

You are absolutely right, POA1!  Sometimes the cabana steward would accidentally wake me when he picked up the plates after delivering our lunch …… or cocktail …… or latte.  I thought about going down to Guest Services to mention this but I fell back to sleep.  Stupid cabanas!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I love the people who have never been in one, who come in and blast the cabanas and those (like us) who have booked cabanas. 

If more people would realize that it's just a deck chair, we could avoid price increases. (Did I mention the lack of robes and slippers?)  

• Like 1