Any advise on not dressing like an American?

Knickerbocker

My husband thinks that on our Scandinavian cruise this summer we should try not to dress like Americans. He thinks that will draw the attention of pick picketers, etc. My question is how do you not dress like an American when you are an American? Does this mean no jeans and sneakers (not that I would pack that kind of thing on a cruise anyway). What do you think this means? Can anyone help? Maybe someone from the UK could tell me what you think the stereotypical American dresses like? Should I bring skirts instead of shorts? I really have no idea. Normally I dress like a cross between Bannana Republic and the Gap. Help!

I'm an American who lived overseas for over thrity years in various parts of the world because of my husband's work. One of the things I noticed early on is that you can usually spot a tourist right away. It isn't about clothing either, although that was more noticeable in the late sixties than now. World clothing, maybe due to global business and travel, has become more "homogenized". Not in every respect, though.

Here are the dead giveaways. A tourist looks and acts like a tourist. You will be speaking English (or your native language, not the native language of the area.) You will have a camera. You will have a guidebook or a guide. You will be in a group of tourists and will be visiting tourist sites. You'll be posing for pictures in front of various famous landmarks. You'll be getting in and out of tourist buses. Tourists shop in places that sell souveniers...places the locals seldom shop. Then the tourist will have a tote bag of his souveniers. Locals don't do such things. You cannot "blend in." Even details as minute as mannerisms give you away.

It's just a general quantity of behavior that I call "tourist behavior" that sets people apart and is instantly noticeable. Hard as one may try, it is very difficult when one is a tourist in a foreign land NOT to look like a tourist.

Furthermore, you can't really know how the local population dresses until you get there and see how they dress and go to the stores where they shop.

I think the better way, if you are worried about pick pockets, is to stay alert as to who is around you. Don't wear flashy watches or jewelry. Keep your money and credit cards close...maybe not where pick pockets would think to find them. Some of the travel and luggage stores sell clothing "safes."

Another thing that does make me shudder is I do see American tourists who are very patriotic and they should be patriotic, but they go into another country and wear American flags on their T-shirts or printed on their tote bags or hats or something and that is one thing I would avoid at all costs especially now. The national flag is a matter of pride in every country and nationals of each country take intense pride in their own flag.

My husband thinks that on our Scandinavian cruise this summer we should try not to dress like Americans. He thinks that will draw the attention of pick picketers, etc. My question is how do you not dress like an American when you are an American? Does this mean no jeans and sneakers (not that I would pack that kind of thing on a cruise anyway). What do you think this means? Can anyone help? Maybe someone from the UK could tell me what you think the stereotypical American dresses like? Should I bring skirts instead of shorts? I really have no idea. Normally I dress like a cross between Bannana Republic and the Gap. Help!

I was at Cost Plus and found this really cool book. The title is Behave Yourself - The essential guide to international etiqette. It goes beyound clothes, it takes in how to conduct yourself and how to interact with the locals. Might try this website. www.InsidersGuide.com

When I go to Europe, I never wear jeans and or sneakers (unless I'm out for my morning run), don't take organized tours, eat in out of the tourist area restaurants, and dress in all black or neutral colors.

Don't dress like a billboard and you'll be fine.

I'm from the UK :D

Don't wear jeans or sneakers or baseball caps! Don't let your husband wear trousers that are short enough to show his socks! Don't let him wear a checked shirt tucked in his pants. Skirts instead of shorts would be great, skirts are popular in Europe. Banana Republic is fine, I think their stuff is quite European looking. DON"T wear a fanny pack :eek: !

I'm trying to think of anything else, will post back if I think of anything.

No flaming please, I was asked :) :p

NO WHITE TENNIE's. They stick out as AMERICAN, AMERICAN, AMERICAN. Find some loafers.

Our experiment three years ago at the Hard Rock Cafe in London proved the point. DH stated he could spot the Americans. 75% of the people who were American had white tennie's on. He got up and asked everybody he was so sure.

Have really traveled the world in the last 3 years. You very rarely see natives or tourists from any place other than the good old USA with white tennie's on. Just spent another week in Peru and Chile. The only white tennie's I saw were on hip hop teenagers (very expensive Nike's) or American tourists. I was really looking, as I wore my white tennie's one day. I felt really out of place.

My daughter spent a year studying in Spain. At the airport in Barcelona, 3 different people asked if she was an American athlete. The cab driver asked her the same thing.

She figured out it was her white tennis shoes and shorts that gave away her nationality, and being 5'9" made her a giant! She bought some sandals and skirts to wear the rest of the summer. She learned to never wear white tennis shoes, never jeans or short shorts and NEVER a fanny pack. Just the word fanny will put the Brits into fits of laughter:D

Agree. Eliminate the wearing of:

* Chunky sneakers

* Especially chunky sneakers with socks

* Especially chunky sneakers with socks and shorts:eek:

* Especially chunky sneakers with jeans

* Bum bags

* Especially do not refer to bum bags as fanny packs or you will be directed

to a ladies personal hygiene item in a drug store

* Baseball caps, esp with velcro back

* Jeans generally, unless worn stylishly with shirt/top and proper shoes/heels, applies for both men and women

* Obviously anything with the American flag on it - this would be most obvious indicator of one's nationality.

However, as a foreigner living in America - you guys are some of the most generous, philanthropic and kind people we've ever met, and so polite. Sure Americans get a bum rap in some European countries because of the current political climate, but be proud for all the wonderful attributes your culture possesses. There are many. ;)

I've traveled internationally quite a bit. About 6 years ago we spent a few weeks in Italy (DD - then 4 and I - then in my early 40s).

DD was in a "I want to wear a dress" phase, so I did not even pack her anything else. I had found some Polly Flinders linen-look dresses for her and she wore her favorite pair of shoes - black leather MaryJanes. I NEVER wear jeans (can't find a pair that fits me) and had bought a terrific pair of leather walking sandals for the trip.

At first it didn't sink in, but I discovered myself speaking German, alot! Just your general responses to cab drivers, shop keepers and the like. As it dawned on me that I was speaking in my broken German - I determined that it was because the cabbies, shop keepers, street vendors were addressing ME in German first.

But it figures - I was pegged as a tourist (these were after all very touristy places). Neither DD or I were Italian (you've got to see us! - odd red curly hair, very fair skin, etc.). And for the same reason probably not French or British either. And since we couldn't be American (no Nikes or Levis) - they must have decided we were German (not a bad guess since I'm 7/8th German heritage, DD is German/Slavic heritage).

Since then as I've traveled, I've let others greet me first. It's scary, if I dress 'American', I'll be addressed with a hello. If I'm dressed more normally (for me), I'll get a 'gutten abend' or the like!

Well, I agree with all the UK postings...

I love America and Americans so don't take my comments personally!!!

I think (and it does depend on your age...I am assuming you are under 50?? Generally jeans are not worn if you are over 65 in the UK)-

For women typically 'smart jeans' or similar with a pretty top and scarf - smart jacket and heeled boots - all in reasonably neutral colours is a good outfit. Regarding dresses - casual linen dresses again in neutral colours. No shorts.

For men, again, I think modern jeans are OK (not the pale blue faded straight leg baggy type!!) or dark chinos. NO white trainers - dark trainers at a push or boots/shoes are fine... smartish jacket. No shorts.

Think 'European chic' and then tone it down... Hope this helps...

I have to reiterate the 'Fanny pack' comment :D - Its a bit like saying that we eat fagg-ots for dinner :) (for those that don't know thats a meat dish!)

Personally, I think as soon as you open your mouth you will give the game away so I would'nt worry too much!! Americans have an aura of confidence and extrovertism (if thats a word) and that can be seen a mile off...

To put your mind at rest... I've heard that the Scandinavian countries have a low crime rate!!! Have fun...

Our experiment three years ago at the Hard Rock Cafe in London proved the point. DH stated he could spot the Americans.

I assumed only Americans would travel half way around the world to eat in a Hard Rock Cafe... plenty of great pubs, chippers, and ethnic restaurants in London, with wonderful food.

HeavySurf made a good point. I've seen plenty of locals wearing jeans and sneakers in many of the countries I've visited. It's not what you wear, necessarily...

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful. I will make sure my husband does not wear his sneakers or shorts. So, when it's really hot in London the men just tuff it out in slacks? I can just imagine the complaining I will hear. =o)

Usually when we travel we are mistaken for Canadian which I always take as a compliment.

I assumed only Americans would travel half way around the world to eat in a Hard Rock Cafe... plenty of great pubs, chippers, and ethnic restaurants in London, with wonderful food.

HeavySurf made a good point. I've seen plenty of locals wearing jeans and sneakers in many of the countries I've visited. It's not what you wear, necessarily...

I was there to get T shirts, DH was at the bar. And all over the world I eat in a lot of "Americanized" cafes. Pretty safe that you won't get sick and I am not a foodie. Mickey D's even delivers in Peru.

A lot of it IS what you wear. I was bothered MUCH more heavily by the street kids in Lima last week when I had on the tennie's than the day before or the day after when I had on loafers. And in SE Asia, you will be hounded mercilessly if the street kids/touts spot the tennies. Put on a pair of slacks, a pullover and loafers, travel the same routes and you will not be bothered nearly as bad.

The street kids in other countries KNOW that Americans are not prone to speaking more than English. Europeans OFTEN speak two or more languages. They also know that Americans are much more inclined to give street kids money or gifts than other tourists. So if you dont' LOOK like an American, even though you are recognized as a tourist, you probably won't be bothered as much.

Agree. Eliminate the wearing of:

* Chunky sneakers

* Especially chunky sneakers with socks

* Especially chunky sneakers with socks and shorts:eek:

* Especially chunky sneakers with jeans

* Bum bags

* Especially do not refer to bum bags as fanny packs or you will be directed

to a ladies personal hygiene item in a drug store

* Baseball caps, esp with velcro back

* Jeans generally, unless worn stylishly with shirt/top and proper shoes/heels, applies for both men and women

* Obviously anything with the American flag on it - this would be most obvious indicator of one's nationality.

However, as a foreigner living in America - you guys are some of the most generous, philanthropic and kind people we've ever met, and so polite. Sure Americans get a bum rap in some European countries because of the current political climate, but be proud for all the wonderful attributes your culture possesses. There are many. ;)

I have a similar experience... I had a class in college that was mostly Turkish exchange students. When I tried to be nice and speak in Turkish they always answered back in English. When I asked some of them why they always answered my Turkish questions in English they said it was because I was American so they just assumed I was always speaking English to them and never realized I was speaking Turkish.

I'm an American who lived overseas for over thrity years in various parts of the world because of my husband's work. One of the things I noticed early on is that you can usually spot a tourist right away. It isn't about clothing either, although that was more noticeable in the late sixties than now. World clothing, maybe due to global business and travel, has become more "homogenized". Not in every respect, though.

Here are the dead giveaways. A tourist looks and acts like a tourist. You will be speaking English (or your native language, not the native language of the area.) You will have a camera. You will have a guidebook or a guide. You will be in a group of tourists and will be visiting tourist sites. You'll be posing for pictures in front of various famous landmarks. You'll be getting in and out of tourist buses. Tourists shop in places that sell souveniers...places the locals seldom shop. Then the tourist will have a tote bag of his souveniers. Locals don't do such things. You cannot "blend in." Even details as minute as mannerisms give you away.

It's just a general quantity of behavior that I call "tourist behavior" that sets people apart and is instantly noticeable. Hard as one may try, it is very difficult when one is a tourist in a foreign land NOT to look like a tourist.

Furthermore, you can't really know how the local population dresses until you get there and see how they dress and go to the stores where they shop.

I think the better way, if you are worried about pick pockets, is to stay alert as to who is around you. Don't wear flashy watches or jewelry. Keep your money and credit cards close...maybe not where pick pockets would think to find them. Some of the travel and luggage stores sell clothing "safes."

Another thing that does make me shudder is I do see American tourists who are very patriotic and they should be patriotic, but they go into another country and wear American flags on their T-shirts or printed on their tote bags or hats or something and that is one thing I would avoid at all costs especially now. The national flag is a matter of pride in every country and nationals of each country take intense pride in their own flag.

Thank you. I couldn't have said it better. Stay alert is the key. Crime is everywhere..

For God's sakes people...you are a tourist!!! Is that so terrible? I live in a tourist area, maybe not as glamourous as foreign ports but albeit, it's a tourist area. Milk white people with their paper day beach passes pinned to their too tight swimsuits are a dead give away!! Toting bags of cheap trinkets is another. But in NJ a lot of our revenue is based on tourism!!

Go ahead...look like a tourist...YOU ARE!! And the place you are visiting will be all the happier for it!!

If you visit a place frequently, you will learn over time how to blend in and not feel like a tourist...but when all is said and done, you still are!

Enjoy your trip!!

I posted this a couple years ago but I'll repeat it. I was stuck in the Berlin airport a couple years ago for about 4 hours and had little to do but people-watch. I did a mental stroke-count on the athletic shoes (trainers) being worn by passers-by. I agree fully: stay away from solid white athletic shoes as those are worn exclusively by middle-aged Americans, especially women.

Adidas and Puma won out by far. These are German brands and I was in Germany, but they are popular throughout the world and Puma has been having a huge resurgance in the U.S. of late. Nike also had a strong following among Europeans. What I did NOT see was New Balance and Asics. If you're wearing those, you're an American. And definitely no shorts, no matter how hot and humid it is. And for those in their 40's and younger, jeans are definitely IN.

It has become much more difficult to spot Americans based on clothing because Europeans have been quick to adopt American trends and European trends are much quicker to jump to America.

The Original Poster stated that her husband is afraid of pickpockets. This is what I believe after many years living overseas. The kind of pickpocket who targets tourists will not be fooled that you are not tourists, no matter what you do. First, such thieves specialize in areas where tourists are most likely to congregate.

These miscreants have to know the signs of a tourist because their income depends on being right in who they target and who will be the easiest target. They have trained themselves to know who that is and they are much better at spotting tourists than the casual observer.

I still say that rather than trying to look like a local, do the easier thing. Make darned sure your money and credit cards are in a place pickpockets cannot access easily and quickly, because speed is the essential factor in their "work."

But one basic question, if I might. Are there pickpockets in the Scandinavian region? Maybe I'm way out of touch because I lived in third world nations for decades, but I had the idea that Scandinavia would be about as safe as any place you could ever visit, even safer than many cities in the U.S.

Wear shoes that you find most comfortable to walk in, and clothes that suit you for the climate. I don't think you would be successful in trying to disguise the fact that you are tourists unless you're willing to go the whole route including hairstyles/eye glasses/body language/walking style and by the way a voice coach. There are other things that will defend you more reliably against thieves:

-If someone on the street says "hi" or "hello" don't let your eyes even flicker in their direction.

-If you must carry a purse, put it over your shoulder, then put a jacket on over it. Keep your hand on the strap at all times.

-Get one of those passport holder things that goes around your neck (that you can tuck under your shirt). Have your husband keep your credit cards and cash (except for nominal amounts) in that. Only carry what you need for the day. Have him go to a mens room to remove anything from it.

-Be wary of swarms of little kids heading your way. If any of them start to touch you, yell "NO" and get away from them.

-Be wary of moms with little kids that come up and try to hand you something. Don't engage.

-Be very wary on public transportation. If there is some kind of hubbub nearby with someone spilling something or falling, hold on extra tight to your stuff.

-Don't set your things down on a table or chair, keep them in your lap or between your feet with your foot on the strap.

But mainly, don't carry anything you can't afford to lose and remember they're just things - so don't worry about all this so much that you can't relax and have a good time!

Being an Army brat we did several tours in Europe. From ages 13-16 we lived in Italy and I guess we just assimilated pretty well (other than my blonde hair!). The only trouble we experienced was my Grandmother who had come to visit who got mobbed by gypsy children in the Milan train station. They stole her money and passport which delayed her leaving for a while. However, I don't remember anything ever happening to mom, dad, brother, or myself. I just remember that by the time we left and returned to the states my wardrobe had transformed itself completely into Italian-style. Once I started school in the states it was me who stuck out like a sore thumb :(

Knickerbocker,

Try reading the posts on the baltic ports section. You can do a search forum uisng a keyword dress. Lots of great info there.

As an aside, I visited Sweden and Norway several years ago. I found them to be very safe. But as has been said, crime can happen anywhere, so just be aware.

Have a great trip

Archived