Any advise on not dressing like an American?

Knickerbocker

If someone mistook me for Canadian, or Russian, or French...or...whatever...

I would correct them and proudly say "I'm American."

I'm not going to hide who I am.

and like others have said, if you are walking around marveling at the sights, taking pictures etc., everyone will know you are a tourist.

I was in a jewelry store in Switzerland in the early 90's and was fascinated at the "greeter" who would say hello to people entering the store in whatever language was appropriate. To me, we all looked the same (well, I could pick out the Germans because of their sandals and socks and too short shorts). :)

I actually found the loafers to be much more comfortable and supportive to my feet for a full day's walking than the athletic shoes. In fact, I wore the athletic shoes only once.

I love loafers. I have a pair of lug soled Gucci loafers. They've been making this same style loafer for men and women for probably 20 years. Mine are about 8 years old and have been all over the world with me. I've walked in rain, snow and many, many cities and they look as new as the day I bought them.

They're heavy...ie wintery...looking so I stop wearing them in about April. At that point I swtich to my Prada loafers which are thinner soled and more spring like in look, but also as comfortable. (those will probably go out of style soon....though every year I keep checking and they're still "au courant")

In hot climates/summer, I wear flat comfortable sandals. My favorites being a leather soled pair with very skinny multi straps over my instep. If it's rainy, I have a pair of rubber soled sandals that keep ground water off my feet because of the thicker soles.

I can easily walk for hours in any of these and look nice at the same time.

My sneakers are for the gym only.

I sported a santa hat on Christmas morning at Charles de Gaulle airport and quickly got a ride into Paris...cost less than a taxi!

My long black wool coat with fur trim around the cuffs and hood attracted all the homeless of Paris...I was approached all week long by somebody different each day. I confused them further with my "Istanbul Look" when they asked for money. It helped that my I had a little pocket book around my neck inside my coat...I just held up my hands to prove I had nothing...

Hey, I am proud to be American as much as the next person, but when you are nightclubbing with a group of U.S. Army and Marines...pay 50 Euro each to enter an underground nightclub...arrive and find out the patrons are mostly Middle Easterners smoking their hookas...and Saddam Hussein was just hung that morning...you kind of develop an Irish accent and demonstrate your Riverdance moves...that is until you realize they are all from Iran...then you tell the truth and you are delivered free champagne all night long...

My sister and I were told by her European friends that we needed to go more casual...they mostly wore jeans at night in the jazz clubs and bars and local restaurants. We held to our personal standards and remained snappy casual...

We were happy to see her Latin American friends arrive as they matched us by dressing up a bit more...

I concluded that wearing a nice coat can basicallly get you into anywhere...

Thanks for the information on this thread...I photocopied my passport and kept my money/jewelry in the hotel room safe.

Lastly, I only began to have fun in Paris once I decided to be myself...an American tourist on vacation...although I was probaby abhorred by some, I certainly entertained many! For what it is worth, the many were from all over the world...as they too were on vacation! New Year's Eve on the Champs D' Elysees was one large global gathering and for a few minutes in time, the world was peaceful, happy, ...and drunk with champagne!

Coka

Well..I spit my drink out reading your post!! It was wonderful!!

Overall...I don't think anyone give's a rats A$$ what you look like when you are visiting another place. It' s all in the name of diversity and accepting whatever is around you....

We can live wherever, wear our sensible walking shoes and outfits, be a traveler or a tourist and it really doesn't matter!!

Nations united, drunk with champagne and cultural diversity....that's a good thing!!!

Happy New Year!!

Pam

I sported a santa hat on Christmas morning at Charles de Gaulle airport and quickly got a ride into Paris...cost less than a taxi!

So who gave you the ride?

My long black wool coat with fur trim around the cuffs and hood attracted all the homeless of Paris...I was approached all week long by somebody different each day. I confused them further with my "Istanbul Look" when they asked for money. It helped that my I had a little pocket book around my neck inside my coat...I just held up my hands to prove I had nothing...

Interesting. In all my years of visits to Paris, only once was I stopped by a gypsy and asked for money.

Welcome home.

Glad to hear you had a good time!

Jane

Jkudzu, please, please don't be terrified! The vast majority of the people in the Caribbean, and all over the world are lovely. It is a joy to experience a new culture. The point I wanted to make in my post is that your best defense is to take some very simple precautions to limit your risk, as unfortunately, the places where tourist congregate are also where people who would like to take advantage of them congregate. If you're aware of some of the techniques that the "bad guys" use, you can avoid those circumstances and focus on the business at hand, which is to have a wonderful time exploring and experiencing new people and places.

Jane,

I got the ride from one the guys the airplane video warns you to NOT accept a ride from. He had dropped off some tourists...was heading back to the city to pick up another group tour...I accepted for 40 Euro. Taking a true taxi ride on the way back cost 60 Euro.

I had four separate incidents on the streets throughout the week. I guess my hat could not cover the "talk to me" stamp on my forehead. It usually happens to me so I am not surprised by this. The only one that concerned me was the woman who "poked" my arm after I shook my head no...my sister said the woman was putting a curse on me because I did not give her any money. Now that I think about it, I did get the 24 hour bout of food poisoning soon thereafter!

Coka

Jane,

I got the ride from one the guys the airplane video warns you to NOT accept a ride from. He had dropped off some tourists...was heading back to the city to pick up another group tour...I accepted for 40 Euro. Taking a true taxi ride on the way back cost 60 Euro.

I guess it depends where in Paris you're going to. My friends live in the 16th and the taxi always runs me between 34-38 Euros, both coming into Paris as well as going back to the airport. 60 Euro's....Yikes!

I had four separate incidents on the streets throughout the week. I guess my hat could not cover the "talk to me" stamp on my forehead. It usually happens to me so I am not surprised by this. The only one that concerned me was the woman who "poked" my arm after I shook my head no...my sister said the woman was putting a curse on me because I did not give her any money. Now that I think about it, I did get the 24 hour bout of food poisoning soon thereafter!

Coka

Oh dear! :(

Most people think I'm Parisian. I know this because I'm always spoken to in french first. So I guess the gypsies think so too. Maybe that's why I'm never bothered by them.

Sorry about the food poisoning! Hope you didn't eat on rue de Huganout in the 5th. That's tomaine alley!

Jkudzu, please, please don't be terrified! The vast majority of the people in the Caribbean, and all over the world are lovely. It is a joy to experience a new culture. The point I wanted to make in my post is that your best defense is to take some very simple precautions to limit your risk, as unfortunately, the places where tourist congregate are also where people who would like to take advantage of them congregate. If you're aware of some of the techniques that the "bad guys" use, you can avoid those circumstances and focus on the business at hand, which is to have a wonderful time exploring and experiencing new people and places.

Ok--I give. :o I'm from a small town in Virginia, what techinques do the bad guys use? Thanks so much for the encouragement and help.

Don't be scared!!! Just use common sense.

We once traveled with a couple who left their carry on bags and a camera on a bench outside one of the restaurants in St. Thomas so they could go have a peek in the stores...Lo and behold, 5 minutes later, their stuff was gone!!

There have also been scams in St. Maarten where they approach you, ask some questions and tell you that you have won some silly time share. Of course, you follow them to wherever and find out it's crap...you haven't won anything..and you sit in on one of the promos they sell.

Look smart and practice saying..'no thank you" a million times. Mostly people are trying to sell their wares...

I just returned from 10 days in England..some of which was spent in London, a surrounding villiage, and off/on a US air force base. It was easy to tell when I was on the base. The women wore "frumpy" clothes, did not bother to do hair/nails, looked rather dishevled at times, although neat and clean. Many of them looked like they threw on their husbands jackets and sweats. Sadly, some of these women were the wives of high ranking officers.

The contrast: In the villiage, or even in London, I noticed that women, even when going grocery shopping, looked tasteful, even in jeans. I saw nice, neat, jeans, pretty sweaters, simple makeup, pretty boots, etc. Or, I often saw shorter skirts with flats, nice tights/leggings, leather boots. Almost everyone I saw wore either nice boots and a pretty coat (even with jeans), or a smart hat/scarf ensemble, etc. I couldn't believe the difference.

I spent a lot of time shopping, and saw how even simple pieces could make one look beautiful and tasteful. I also noticed that a lot of women didn't wear much in terms of makeup, and few colored their hair. Everyone also walked everywhere, and had an attitude of confidence. I really believe how they dressed had something to do with it. Not many women were overweight, most were average build. I didn't see people eating aimlessly or carrying cell phones or beverages everywhere.

I also admit it's been a bit of a reverse culture shock in the fashion sense, since I've been back. We can all present ourselves better in public or dress nicer than we do, myself included! Menina

Menina, great post and I have the same thoughts whenever I travel internationally. Just given the size of the average woman's closet in Italy (and I have seen quite a few) they invest in pieces that work well for them and accesorize with care as they do not have a lot of room to store things.

Thanks for sharing:)

I found the same to be true in England and also realized how I could do the same thing here in the states. I also found some fashion bargains at the "charity stores". I'd heard once that a European man favors a woman who "ages" gracefully and this being caught up in "looking young" is an American phenomena. I saw elderly women looking gorgeous in their white hair and leather boots and minimalist makeup.

Menina, great post and I have the same thoughts whenever I travel internationally. Just given the size of the average woman's closet in Italy (and I have seen quite a few) they invest in pieces that work well for them and accesorize with care as they do not have a lot of room to store things.

Thanks for sharing:)

The European women seem to embrace their age, rather than become driven to disguise it. I have seen many gorgeous Italian (and French) women 50 and over who exude confidence and elegance and are just plain sexy.

I think our country is far more obsessed with perfection (look at the incredible market figures for diet companies and plastic surgery) while many of the women living in European countries simply live a healthier lifestyle all the way around and it really shows:)!

You mentioned not seeing many overweight people and this is another wake up call whenever I am overseas. They eat well, drink well and live well and maintain a healthy weight as a result.

Don't wear white eyelet, or nautical tshirts, or anything that is not fitted close to the body, or white sneakers.....wear dark colors, perfectly fitted clothing, and it helps to be thin with thin legs! Americans have so much to choose from and so many fabulous stores and so much money to spend, and yet the look is rarely there..........i guess the key is American women make comfort a priority and that usually means plenty of roomy clothing and spandex!

I think you are absolutely right.

Don't wear white eyelet, or nautical tshirts, or anything that is not fitted close to the body, or white sneakers.....wear dark colors, perfectly fitted clothing, and it helps to be thin with thin legs! Americans have so much to choose from and so many fabulous stores and so much money to spend, and yet the look is rarely there..........i guess the key is American women make comfort a priority and that usually means plenty of roomy clothing and spandex!

Archived