Any advise on not dressing like an American?

Knickerbocker

We still can't figure that one out. Honestly, who would you want in your bar, me quietly drinking a nice white wine, or Paris Hilton and Britney Spears without underwear and not paying their bill?

Viv

I guess if I were a merchant looking for business and Page One coverage on a tabloid, I'd have to say Paris and Brittney would be good customers...!!

On the other hand, if the Queen were there in lime green capris, it would be a good story for business as well!!

We were refused admittance to the Rainbow Room in NY several years ago since one person in our group had shoes on that looked like sneakers..(they were post-surgery shoes)..we were all dressed nicely but we still couldn't get in..!!

:eek:

Wear shoes that you find most comfortable to walk in, and clothes that suit you for the climate. I don't think you would be successful in trying to disguise the fact that you are tourists unless you're willing to go the whole route including hairstyles/eye glasses/body language/walking style and by the way a voice coach. There are other things that will defend you more reliably against thieves:

-If someone on the street says "hi" or "hello" don't let your eyes even flicker in their direction.

-If you must carry a purse, put it over your shoulder, then put a jacket on over it. Keep your hand on the strap at all times.

-Get one of those passport holder things that goes around your neck (that you can tuck under your shirt). Have your husband keep your credit cards and cash (except for nominal amounts) in that. Only carry what you need for the day. Have him go to a mens room to remove anything from it.

-Be wary of swarms of little kids heading your way. If any of them start to touch you, yell "NO" and get away from them.

-Be wary of moms with little kids that come up and try to hand you something. Don't engage.

-Be very wary on public transportation. If there is some kind of hubbub nearby with someone spilling something or falling, hold on extra tight to your stuff.

-Don't set your things down on a table or chair, keep them in your lap or between your feet with your foot on the strap.

But mainly, don't carry anything you can't afford to lose and remember they're just things - so don't worry about all this so much that you can't relax and have a good time!

I know it's been a while since you posted this advice. May I ask if this is your advice for the Eastern Caribbean. I'm headed there on my first cruise and I'm a little nervous about the ports. Thank you.

As for the rest of this thread, I can't understand why anybody would even try to disguise the fact that they are American. For me, it's a badge of honor, and I'm grateful to God for giving me blessing of being born in a land where freedom and opportunity are a birthright.

Merry Christmas!!!

I agree with you.

Personally, I think the OP named this thread incorrectly from what I can infer from the postings. I don't think it's dressing like an American that's the "problem" - after all, we're so diverse. Those from Miami dress differently than those from NYC, Dallas, LA or Connecticut. Right?

I think the issue is dressing like a "Tourist".....in Tourist Attire. White sneakers, windbreaker jackets, shorts on people who should be in pants, bum-bags and generally unfashionable, practical clothing. But also, I've seen some horribly dressed German tourists wearing dark socks w/ sandals and shorts - Chinese tourists with plaid pants and striped shirts - and British tourists in lots of double knit polyester. (i didn't even know they still made this stuff!) Living in NY near some popular tourist sites, I see some of the worst dressed people on a daily basis from all over world.

I'm proud to be American and proud to be a New Yorker. I'm a traveler, not a tourist and I don't wear silly tourist clothes. I'm chic at home so I'm chic when I travel and when I'm visiting western cities, I'm almost always taken as a local....until I speak. Of course, in a country where people are not caucasian, it's obvious that I'm not a local. :)

You know, when you really come to think of it, what is wrong with dressing like a tourist? A tourist is travelling and living out of a suitcase. A tourist is on vacation. A tourist doesn't expect to see anyone he/she knows. So a tourist lets his/her hair down and dresses with comfort in mind.

When I am downtown and I see tourists, it puts a smile on my face. Here I am going about my daily business, observing people who are just having a good time. It makes me feel a little like a tourist,too!!!!!

At home, we all dress differently, as Jane pointed out. So, as tourists, we also dress differently. But most of us are in our "tourist clothes". Most of us keep our really good clothes at home! Over the years, I have built up my "travel" wardrobe. Without sounding like a commercial, I can tell you that Chico has great travel clothes.

Once I travelled with a friend who must have brought suitcases of fabulous clothes. I was in my "travel gear". Believe me, I felt like a complete slob next to her! (and I am not such a slob!!!). Still I would never travel with all those clothes.

Jane, you seem to travel on business. That is different. You must dress appropriately for your meetings. You are not in a vacation state of mind.

Most important, I wear comfortable shoes. We walk until we drop and that is numero uno! I wear black SAS lace-ups that are not very sexy...but I can walk all day in them with absolutely no problem.

We usually travel in the spring or fall, so I wear layers during the day. My top layer is usually something soft that I can tie around my waist when I am warm. That is not very chic, but it is very practical and very comfortable. In the evening, for dinner, I will change into something more refined!

I don't know if this helps anyone, but I tried! Hope you all enjoy whatever you wear!

You know, when you really come to think of it, what is wrong with dressing like a tourist? A tourist is travelling and living out of a suitcase. A tourist is on vacation. A tourist doesn't expect to see anyone he/she knows. So a tourist lets his/her hair down and dresses with comfort in mind.

When I am downtown and I see tourists, it puts a smile on my face. Here I am going about my daily business, observing people who are just having a good time. It makes me feel a little like a tourist,too!!!!!

At home, we all dress differently, as Jane pointed out. So, as tourists, we also dress differently. But most of us are in our "tourist clothes". Most of us keep our really good clothes at home! Over the years, I have built up my "travel" wardrobe. Without sounding like a commercial, I can tell you that Chico has great travel clothes.

Once I travelled with a friend who must have brought suitcases of fabulous clothes. I was in my "travel gear". Believe me, I felt like a complete slob next to her! (and I am not such a slob!!!). Still I would never travel with all those clothes.

Jane, you seem to travel on business. That is different. You must dress appropriately for your meetings. You are not in a vacation state of mind.

Most important, I wear comfortable shoes. We walk until we drop and that is numero uno! I wear black SAS lace-ups that are not very sexy...but I can walk all day in them with absolutely no problem.

We usually travel in the spring or fall, so I wear layers during the day. My top layer is usually something soft that I can tie around my waist when I am warm. That is not very chic, but it is very practical and very comfortable. In the evening, for dinner, I will change into something more refined!

I don't know if this helps anyone, but I tried! Hope you all enjoy whatever you wear!

We were refused admittance to the Rainbow Room in NY several years ago since one person in our group had shoes on that looked like sneakers..(they were post-surgery shoes)..we were all dressed nicely but we still couldn't get in..!!

Really? I've been to the Rainbow Grille on several occaisions in jeans and have never been denied entry. One person's shoes did it for a whole group?

!

I dress nicely when I travel as I do when I am at home. My clothes are well fitting and comfortable and I do not understand why some find those two things mutually exclusive:confused:.

It does not take any more effort to look well dressed IMO and certainly takes no more room in a suitcase. Great separates and layers work everywhere. I also wear comfortable walking shoes in Europe but not athletic shoes as I do not care for the look. Nice flats or low heeled boots have served me well over many trips.

I live in FL, tourist central. I find it offensive how many choose to dress simply because the weather is warm. Being a tourist should not be equal to being a slob, but sadly, it often is, all in the name "comfort".

For goodnes sake regardless how I dress I will always look like a tourist.

I carry two neon signs around my neck that constantly say that I am a tourist.

The "neon signs" are my two cameras. I carry mine and I also carry the wife's.

Any one with half a mind knows anyone carrying 2 cameras around their neck is a tourist.

So why worry about how I dress when I have the cameras hanging from my neck.

I dress nicely when I travel as I do when I am at home. My clothes are well fitting and comfortable and I do not understand why some find those two things mutually exclusive:confused:.

It does not take any more effort to look well dressed IMO and certainly takes no more room in a suitcase. Great separates and layers work everywhere. I also wear comfortable walking shoes in Europe but not athletic shoes as I do not care for the look. Nice flats or low heeled boots have served me well over many trips.

I live in FL, tourist central. I find it offensive how many choose to dress simply because the weather is warm. Being a tourist should not be equal to being a slob, but sadly, it often is, all in the name "comfort".

To each of us, "comfortable" clothes conjures up a different picture. And don't forget some people dress better at home. Naturally, their "travel closthes" will also look better. It's relevant.

Gotta go!

I don't think this is what you meant but what you said was: simple = offensive. But than maybe that is exactly what you meant.

So - when I'm in Ft. Lauderdale my Iolani shirt, Lands End Shorts and Tevas are offensive and I'm a slob. By the way I no longer have to wear a suit and tie to work but I do generally wear slacks ad a starched shirt. I do wear a tux on formal nights on a cruise.

If simple = slob is really what you meant I guess I'll have to think of a few names to fling at you as well!:rolleyes:

I don't think this is what you meant but what you said was: simple = offensive. But than maybe that is exactly what you meant.

So - when I'm in Ft. Lauderdale my Iolani shirt, Lands End Shorts and Tevas are offensive and I'm a slob. By the way I no longer have to wear a suit and tie to work but I do generally wear slacks ad a starched shirt. I do wear a tux on formal nights on a cruise.

If simple = slob is really what you meant I guess I'll have to think of a few names to fling at you as well!:rolleyes:

Not speaking for Caviargal but I think the phrase

I find it offensive how many choose to dress simply because the weather is warm.
would be a headache for a language teacher to dissect. Like "eats shoots and leaves" perhaps we need a comma after "dress" and it all becomes clearer? If that was caviargal's original meaning...

I find it offensive how many choose to dress simply because the weather is warm

You are taking her use of the word 'simply' out of context.

Take the word 'simply' out of the sentence and read it like this:

I find it offensive how many choose to dress because the weather is warm.

:eek:

I know it's been a while since you posted this advice. May I ask if this is your advice for the Eastern Caribbean. I'm headed there on my first cruise and I'm a little nervous about the ports. Thank you.

I was in Freeport and Nassua in March. Basically, very dressed down, capris for me, jeans short and shirt for DS. We took a taxi into Freeport. Yes, I was pestered to have my hair braided. Funny thing is it was only about 2 inches long. I think they ask everybody unless they are bald.:D We did a snorkel shore excursion in Nassua and then walked a short distance to some shops. Really, no problems.

Being a Central Florida resident and an avid theme park guest, I have to say I can almost always pick out the English tourist at a theme park. The women in their 30's and 40's with their families will be wearing a tank top with bright red shoulders and back when they have gotten burned from the sun. Now I am not picking on anyone, just wish they had worn sunscreen. Also, at the water parks, any men wearing speedos would be Europeans:eek: . I enjoy all of the interesting people who visit our State, provide assistance by taking their pictures, help them find there way to this or that ride. But when I am on vacation, I will look like a tourist, but be cautious and smart.

Really? I've been to the Rainbow Grille on several occaisions in jeans and have never been denied entry. One person's shoes did it for a whole group?

Yup, one person out of five of us...it wasn't really a big deal at the time as we were just going to have a drink before dinner (at another place)..

Even the website now...no jeans, no shorts, no sneakers!!

You are taking her use of the word 'simply' out of context.

Take the word 'simply' out of the sentence and read it like this:

I find it offensive how many choose to dress because the weather is warm.

Thank you BlueHerons, that is exactly what I meant.

Yup, one person out of five of us...it wasn't really a big deal at the time as we were just going to have a drink before dinner (at another place)..

Even the website now...no jeans, no shorts, no sneakers!!

Very interesting. Maybe because mine were so dressy I was allowed up? I was also wearing my fabulous faux fur!

I was in Freeport and Nassua in March. Basically, very dressed down, capris for me, jeans short and shirt for DS. We took a taxi into Freeport. Yes, I was pestered to have my hair braided. Funny thing is it was only about 2 inches long. I think they ask everybody unless they are bald.:D We did a snorkel shore excursion in Nassua and then walked a short distance to some shops. Really, no problems.

I think I'm going to have shirts or something made with "NO, I don't want my hair braided!" What do you think - is there a market for this, say on a cruise ship??????

Why does Sally Forth sound familiar? Is she a cartoon character?

We have been refused entry in several hotels. In Sorrento, the Exelsior Victoria (or whatever it is called) isn't even 5 star and they wouldn't let us in. In Capri, after hiking around the island, we arrived at the Quississana (sp?) and I was dying to see it...they wouldn't let us in! I think these doormen get a high from enacting their "power".

I was shopping yesterday...upscale stores...European "name" and expensive imports. Saw suits with capri length pants. Personally, I don't like the "cut-off" look, but they are out there for shoppers to buy.

Sally Forth IS a cartoon character but I always liked the phrase because it sounds like someone ready for an adventure.

Viv

You know, the other thing is that we (North Americans) have been so criticized by other cultures that we are starting to think there is something wrong with the way we are. Do Europeans coming to NA run out and buy North American looking clothes so they'll fit in? Are Europeans on some "Going to North America" travel board wondering where to buy fanny packs and capris? Are they deciding they should start wearing deodorant so they smell like us? Have Japanese tourists stopped wearing cameras around their necks and traveling in packs like kindergarten students? NO. Why? Because they have enough of a sense of identity that looking different is okay with them.

Viv

I meant that people in different cities have different modes of dress.

While I travel with my most basic clothes because they often do "double duty", I don't have a Chico's-Eddie Bauer-TravelSmith -kind of separate wardrobe.

Nope. Don't know where you got that idea.

My travel is for my own pleasure. I do a little domestic traveling for biz meetings (maybe once a year) but my international trips are just for me.

Agree that comfortable shoes are most important. But I won't give up good looks. My shoes have to be both good looking and comfortable. But that's just about everyday for me since I live in a city where I have to walk alot all the time.

Agree that comfortable shoes are most important. But I won't give up good looks. My shoes have to be both good looking and comfortable. But that's just about everyday for me since I live in a city where I have to walk alot all the time.

I couldn't agree more. I have foot problems, but I am very picky about shoes. For example, on our recent (Med) cruise, I took a couple pair of comfortable walking shoes, including some low-heeled black leather Ecco loafers and some Easy Spirit athletic-type shoes for scrambling over rocks and ruins.

I actually found the loafers to be much more comfortable and supportive to my feet for a full day's walking than the athletic shoes. In fact, I wore the athletic shoes only once.

Being a Central Florida resident and an avid theme park guest, I have to say I can almost always pick out the English tourist at a theme park. The women in their 30's and 40's with their families will be wearing a tank top with bright red shoulders and back when they have gotten burned from the sun. Now I am not picking on anyone, just wish they had worn sunscreen. Also, at the water parks, any men wearing speedos would be Europeans:eek: . I enjoy all of the interesting people who visit our State, provide assistance by taking their pictures, help them find there way to this or that ride. But when I am on vacation, I will look like a tourist, but be cautious and smart.

You are so right about Brits on holiday in Florida. Well, you must have heard the saying "mad dogs and Englishmen" it is so true.

I think it is because we are so deprived of sunshine in our country, many of us are so in a rush to get a tan we don't think of the consequences.

When I say we I mean as a nation in general (not me!) and the percentage who dress like Brits on tour and get sunburn is probably pretty low but we stand out a mile.

When I'm in Florida I can always spot my fellow Brits - they are the ones trying to cross the major roads on foot to get to the shopping malls, they will always try to walk to somewhere insight rather than drive even if there is no sidewalk!

There are stereotypes within every nation and it is fun to observe ;)

Archived