ALL about St. Petersburg, Russia

Hello all,

If you are interested in something in St. Petersburg, you can consult at me about in this topic.

But remember:

1. I'm not a member of any Tourist company.

2. I'm citizen of Rissia and Resident of St.Petersburg

3. I just want make interesting your visit to our country

4. I don't offer my services, just consult.

5. You are welcome!!!! :)

You can look few pics from my cruises:

Cruise St. Petersburg - Svir'stroy- Vytegra- Goritsy- Uglich- Myshkin- Yaroslavl'- Goritsy- Mandrogi- St. Petersburg on ms 'Valerian Kuibyshev' ('Валериан Куйбышев')

http://fotoplenka.ru/users/volkoff/344169/

St-Petersburg - Nizhniy Novgorod (don't remember all stops) on ms 'Turgenev' ('И. С. Тургенев')

http://fotoplenka.ru/users/volkoff/321772/

Cruise St. Petersburg- Valaam- St. Petersburg on ms 'Kabargin' ('Кабаргинъ')

http://photofile.ru/users/wolf_andrej/1373627/

http://photofile.ru/users/wolf_andrej/1374204/

Good luck

If you are interested you can visit metro stations. I recommend you visit Oldest stations (I think it most beautiful) on Red line. Such stations as "Автово" ("Avtovo") (It's very beautiful station but now it's repairing and not beautiful), "Кировский завод" ("Kirovskiy zavod"), "Нарвская" ("Narvskaya"). We have "closed" stations. I know that tourists like it very much. You can drive few stations on Green line. It'll be interesting for you.

But don't try do it in morning (from 08 to 10 o'clock) and in the evening (17 to 19 o'clock). It's very big truffik and a lot of people.

Remember that all photos in metro is resticted. Penalty for this is 100 rub. (may be more). But you can take a picture careful.

Be careful with pickpockets.

Good luck.

I recomend you visit: Pushkin (Ekaterina's palace, amber room), Petrodvorets/Peterhof, City Sightseen excursion, walk in the center (Palace's square, St.Petr& Paul fortress) and...

If you'll have 5-6 hours free you can visit Kronshtadt (city of naval base)...

I reccomend to take a Private car and do this route: Center of STP-> Kronshtadt (dam, city, forts...)-> trip from Kronshtadt to Lomonosov by ferry-> Lomonosov-> Peterhof/Petrodvorets-> Strelna (president's residence)-> City...

At the Night: City

Next day: Pushkin-> Gatchina...

You can take city tours in the center: metro "Gostiniy Dvor". There is a lot of tours. I reccomend you "Davranov" company. :)

few words about trade centers.

1. "МЕГА" ("MEGA")

There is a lot of small shops and big ones like "IKEA" and so on. You can buy there Food, furniture, all for Village and garden, technics, clothes and so on. There you can eat cheap and fast. Run here you can from metro station "Улица Дыбенко" ("ulitsa Dybenko") on free bus to MEGA...

MEGA is far from center.

2. You can visit "ОКЕЙ" ("OKEY").

It's trade center. Here you can buy clothes, small technics and food...

There is a lot of "ОКЕЙ" in STP. For example I recommend visit on "Электросила" ("Electrosila") metro station. When you up from station drive to the left 300 meters and "ОКЕЙ" will be on the left.

2nd "ОКЕЙ" with "Карусель" ("Karusel'") is on one place on "Московская" ("Moskovskaya") metro station. Drive to the Airport "Pulkovo" direction on each transport. You'll see this big trade centers.

In this plase located "Castorama" - all for repair and building.

3. "Карусель" ("Karusel'") Same as "Окей". See previous.

4. "Лента" ("Lenta") & "Масштаб" ("Mashtab"). It's located in a few bus stops after "ОКЕЙ" with "Карусель" ("Karusel'") on Moskovskaya station. (I recommend visit it.

"Масштаб" ("Mashtab") - it's a little MEGA...

Cheap eat:

1. In each BIG trade centers you can eat cheap in place called "Ресторанный дворик" ("Restoranniy dvorik") it mean Restoran's yard.

There is big choice.

In "ОКЕЙ", "Лента" ("Lenta"), "Castorama" - there is no "Ресторанный дворик" ("Restoranniy dvorik") but there is present one Fast-food from list:

I recommend you to taste: "Чайная ложка" ("Chaynaya lozhka"), "Крошка картошка" ("Kroshka kartoshka")!!!!, "Теремок" ("Teremok")...

Don't eat in "Елки Палки" ("Elki Palki"). There is good offer to eat but not fresh... :(

If you are interested you can visit metro stations. I recommend you visit Oldest stations (I think it most beautiful) on Red line. Such stations as "Автово" ("Avtovo") (It's very beautiful station but now it's repairing and not beautiful), "Кировский завод" ("Kirovskiy zavod"), "Нарвская" ("Narvskaya"). We have "closed" stations. I know that tourists like it very much. You can drive few stations on Green line. It'll be interesting for you.

But don't try do it in morning (from 08 to 10 o'clock) and in the evening (17 to 19 o'clock). It's very big truffik and a lot of people.

Remember that all photos in metro is resticted. Penalty for this is 100 rub. (may be more). But you can take a picture careful.

Be careful with pickpockets.

Good luck.

I want add:

All Access available and easy. Some stations have Escalators but some stations you should come by steps.

There is no problem to aceess to station. You should buy token (it costs 17 rub.) and put it on entrance. After this come to Escalator and you are on station. You can drive the whole day and you sholdn't pay something extra...

Most of stations are deep because they was planned as air-raid shelter.

Thank you for your tips.

One question...on one of our days we will be at the Hermitage for the morning, then we are to eat lunch near there. Would you have a place to recommend that would serve good pierogies (spelling??), even the old-fashioned traditional potato and cheese ones, or others with kapusta or fruit?

My mouth is watering and waiting....

Thanks.

Our cruise only allows us one day in STP. I would love to see the Amber Room, because I've been fascinated by the story for years. But if we go to see it, will we be able to see much else in the city? Most tours that I've looked at put it on a day by itself.

Thanks so much for your helpful advice. It really helps to get advice from someone who is local!

Thank you for your tips.

Would you have a place to recommend that would serve good pierogies (spelling??), even the old-fashioned traditional potato and cheese ones, or others with kapusta or fruit?

My mouth is watering and waiting....

Thanks.

Hi,

Spelling is - "Пироги". I recommend you visit "Штолле" (http://www.stolle.ru/eng/main.html ). I like it very much. Sometimes I visit this place. :)

You should taste all... :) :) :)

I think that nearest place will be Stolle on Konyshenniy.

Our cruise only allows us one day in STP. I would love to see the Amber Room, because I've been fascinated by the story for years. But if we go to see it, will we be able to see much else in the city? Most tours that I've looked at put it on a day by itself.

Thanks so much for your helpful advice. It really helps to get advice from someone who is local!

Hi, of course you cal see something in city but not a lot.

There is some troubles because If you'll take tour - it'll take 5-6 hrs (not less but more). But if you'll take small car with guide - it'll be more faster but if it's not organized tour there can be problem to visit Amber Room bacause big queue to Amber Room .

And remember that on Mondays - Amber Room have day off :(

Volkoff..we will be in St. Petersburg next year during the White Nights..are there special events that take place during that time that we should see?

Thank you!

Sherry

Hi,

There are a lot of events during this period. unfortunately I don't know about your Period of visit our city. So I can't help you now. If you'll tell me dates I can try to help you...

For example: 27 May - is a city Day... (birthday)... :)

Just wanted to say "Hi". I am CruiseGirl from cruiznik.ru .:D

Hi, nice to hear you here... :)

Today my last visit this site. I'll be unavailable before 17.06.08. (Going to Carnival Freedom)...

You can collect your questions in this topic. After my return I'll try help you all...

Good luck.

Hi,

Please can you recommend a restaurant for dinner - which is better - 1913 or Chekhov Restaurant please?

I'm sorry but I know nothing about your Restaurants because it orients on foreign tourists... :(

But I can recommend you best restaurant (by my mind) "Kilikia"...

http://en.restoran.ru/spb/detailed/restaurants/kilikia/

Sometimes I visit it... :)

Hi,

Spelling is - "Пироги". I recommend you visit "Штолле" (http://www.stolle.ru/eng/main.html ). I like it very much. Sometimes I visit this place. :)

You should taste all... :) :) :)

I think that nearest place will be Stolle on Konyshenniy.

Thank you, Volkoff, for your taking your time to help us get more out of your great country. It is very much appreciated.

I don't live there anymore, but if something needed while OP is taking his wonderfull Med cruise I can find out from my friends, who live or visit St. Pete often enough to be able to help. :)

Good luck with your cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

Taxis in St. Petersburg:

There is no problem to find taxi. You can stop it anywhere...

If you are interested to order it you can try this (I use this companies):

"New yellow taxi" ("Новое жёлтое такси") (cars: ford Focus 2 & 3) tel. +7 812 600 8888

"Taxi Lux" ("Такси Люкс") (cars: Hyundai Sonata) tel. +7 812 333 3233

http://www.yell.ru/spb/index.php?company&ri=2130 (sorry in Russian)

Hello! I will be visiting St. Petersburg on July 22-23. Can you tell me what the weather will be like? I'm trying to figure out what to pack for my Baltic cruise.

Oh and is Catherine's Palace open at night?

Hello,

The weather in St. Petersburg is unpredictable. It can be cold or hot. Of course it should be hot but… For example last week and today it’s cold and rain… L

Don’t forget pack warm clothes and take you umbrella.

Catherine's Palace closed at night. Aleksandrovskiy garden (where Catherine's Palace located) is closed from 22:00 to 06:00 every day…

At night you can walk in city…

Oh and is Catherine's Palace open at night?

You should check and see if your cruise line offers an evening tour to Catherine's Palace. Princess and a few others do, it's called an Imperial Evening in Russia, or something similar. It sounds lovely. This will be the only ship excursion I take, but it should be worth it, as the Denrus tour I'm taking during the day does not stop at Catherine's Palace.

Taxis in St. Petersburg:

There is no problem to find taxi. You can stop it anywhere...

If you are interested to order it you can try this (I use this companies):

"New yellow taxi" ("Новое жёлтое такси") (cars: ford Focus 2 & 3) tel. +7 812 600 8888

"Taxi Lux" ("Такси Люкс") (cars: Hyundai Sonata) tel. +7 812 333 3233

http://www.yell.ru/spb/index.php?company&ri=2130 (sorry in Russian)

Dear Volkov:

I'm memorizing the cyrillic alphabet for my 3 days in St. Petersburg - beginning on 05July / we have our Russian visas already.

Is it possible to higher a cab for a few hours (I wonder the cost?)...for our last day?

I want to visit Political History Museum, Smolny district, Moscow square, etc....we'd like to see a little of more recent Russian history (I've seen many castles/cathedrals in my day)..

Have to get a couple Lenin statue photos too...

Hello,

Now I called to "New yellow taxi" and they said - 550 rub. per 1 hour. You can hire taxi for time that you want. There is no problem.

You can call to taxi, I think dispetcher can speak English (I hope)

Good luck.

Vokoff--do you know if the Russian House is a good restaurant? Also we are to be docked at the Lieutenant Schmitt Embankment--where is that located? Thanks.

we ate there a few years ago on a cruise tour ...the food was terrible.

Maybe if there are no cruise ship tours eating there at the same time it would be different.

Archived