Weather from Seward to Russia

rpjsaj

If I recall correctly, the Mariner had 30 ft. waves last year on that cruise. While I do not believe this is typical, the seas are usually a bit rough in that area. Mariner does a good job handling the seas. . . still, if you tend towards seasickness, I'd take something to prevent becoming ill. In terms of the temperature -- I'll leave question for someone else (or, you could check some weather websites). Whatever the weather is outside, the inside will be comfortable.

We were on the Mariner on this segment last year--it was an exciting trip!!

The weather started out cool and rainy in Anchorage, Seward and Kodiac. When we got into the Aleutians we started getting warnings from the Captain about an upcoming storm. He changed course to hide the ship in the protection of the islands as long as he could but we eventually had to get out into the open sea. It was quite a storm--very high seas, lots of wind and lots of rocking and rolling for about a day and a half. The captain closed La Veranda and shut down the elevators and asked us to all please stay in our rooms for safety. Meals were served by room service who had to walk up and down the stairs to get the food to the cabins. The menu was reduced to ham or turkey sandwiches for a day or so, although they did set up a limited buffet in Compass Rose. When the storm was over we all got a certificate that said it was the worst storm the Mariner had ever encountered. But it wasn't over yet. Although the weather in Petropavlosk was cool but pleasant, as soon as we left there we hit thick fog that lasted a couple days. When we finally got to Japan, the captain was taken to the hospital due to exhaustion. He had stayed up through all the storm and fog to make sure the ship was safe. Fortunately, he was the only casualty and he recovered and got back on the ship a couple ports later. All the passengers came through fine with just a few cases of sea sickness. We're pretty experienced sailors, so we looked at the whole thing as a big adventure. I'm not sure everyone saw it that way. Anyway, although this was probably a rare occurance, you can expect the weather to be fairly cool (50's-60's) and probably rainy in places. Once you get to Japan, the weather warms up and the sun comes out.

On the other hand....we did the same trip in 2006 and had wonderful weather. Only light rain in Kodak with a little choppy seas for a couple of hours as we left. The weather was beautiful for the rest of the crossing with blue skies and calm seas. Our temperatures were very pleasant and I don't remember wearing jackets except in the early morning.

So....as with most places...it depends!

Archived