Westerdam 10-19 Activities

richwmn

Firstly, thank you rchwmn for going to the trouble to post the daily programs from your cruise. I wish daily programs from each ship were available for review. That way we would have more definite ideas what to expect when booking a cruise.

Compared to our first cruise with HAL about ten years ago, and even compared to a cruise three years ago, the onboard entertainment appears to be going downhill. We have saved the daily programs from all of our cruises, and the number of entries on the daily program has definitely diminished significantly. Although some activities have persisted, many have been replaced with new venues which are totally unappealing in my opinion.

do you have any menus you can post?

how was the cruise over all

thansk

dana

Other than the morning room service menu which I did post, I do not have any menus.

The cruise was great, the crew was terrific. I can not wait to get another cruise booked.

Rich

thanks so much!

I agree, it seems like they have really cut back on activities. I love how, especially during the daytime activities, almost every other event is a revenue, or potential revenue, generator. I guess they have to do what they have to do.

I'm just glad I've got a stack of books I've been dying to read and a great hubby to spend time with :)

Thank-you for the post. The resolution on these scans is very nice.

I'm interested in the enrichment series. Were you able to attend any of the lectures or cooking classes? If so, how did they go? Were they entertaining? Were they educational?

I'm not too interested in the 'tech' series. That is what I'm taking a vacation from. However, I am interested in learning new things. So, anything you can add about the on-board activities would be wonderful.

People ask frequently about the daily activities aboard the ship. I saved all the daily programs for the Westerdam cruise I just finished. I have scanned them and they can be found at

http://www.wa70.com/hal/westerdam-1019

Any questions, feel free to ask

Rich

Thx for the program Rich :-)

My question is did u attend any of the shows ? Did you also go to the Disco ? is so was it empty or lots of fun ?

sea ya

Eric

People ask frequently about the daily activities aboard the ship. I saved all the daily programs for the Westerdam cruise I just finished. I have scanned them and they can be found at

www.wa70.com/hal/westerdam-1019

Any questions, feel free to ask

Rich

thank you so much. I have been looking for this and you came through for me. I love you. Now, what did you take part in that you are happy and/or disappointed with. did you take part in anything that you had to pay extra for? what food stands out? did you earn any dam dollars? etc etc etc....

That was one of my two complaints on my recent Oosterdam cruise - not enough onboard activities. On my first couple of HAL cruises, the "problem" was too many activities and not enough time to do them all.

Roz

I will take a couple of minutes to try to answer your questions.

Thank-you for the post. The resolution on these scans is very nice.

I'm interested in the enrichment series. Were you able to attend any of the lectures or cooking classes? If so, how did they go? Were they entertaining? Were they educational?

I'm not too interested in the 'tech' series. That is what I'm taking a vacation from. However, I am interested in learning new things. So, anything you can add about the on-board activities would be wonderful.

I did not take part in any of the culinary activities, however each time I walked by the Queens Lounge when they were going on it looked like a smallish group was attending. I did go by the "techspert" during the first introductory period, but since he was there to push Microsoft answers only, I didn't bother to go by again as I would most likely be disruptive. I also met Nikki (party planner) later and she seemed very nice and knowledgeable. I was told the party planner would be changing in about 2 months so Nikki may no longer be aboard when you cruise.

Thx for the program Rich :-)

My question is did u attend any of the shows ? Did you also go to the Disco ? is so was it empty or lots of fun ?

sea ya

Eric

I watched part of the show done by the ships cast. It looked pretty good from my standpoint, but be aware that the cruise I was on was the first this cast had done. The cast boarded with us on the 19th after four(?) weeks of rehearsal in Seattle. I did not go to the disco.

thank you so much. I have been looking for this and you came through for me. I love you. Now, what did you take part in that you are happy and/or disappointed with. did you take part in anything that you had to pay extra for? what food stands out? did you earn any dam dollars? etc etc etc....

On all of my cruises I have taken part in the trivia contests, and I don't think I missed one this time. Some had prizes and some gave Dam Dollars. The Cruise staff did a wonderful job with the trivia, Cruise Director did on, Nikki (party planner) did one, and the two cruise staff ladies did the others. I also participated in several of the Sport events which had dam dollar prizes. They were generally well attended. I don't know if this is normal as this is the first I have done the sports events. As a result I earned many dam dollars.

A note on the Dam Dollars. Most of what you can buy with them have been the prizes given earlier for individual game wins (mugs, key chains, umbrellas, etc.) Be aware if you are a larger person, the largest t-shirt/sweatshirt they have is XLarge. If you need/want something larger you must buy it.

I am not a food junkie, so all the food was good. I had AYWD and didn't feel like sitting with different people each night, so all my meals were in the Lido. They had a good selection, and the servers were great.

Hope everyone has a great cruise.

Rich

I just cleaned up the presentation a little bit and added the activities on HMC in addition to the ships activities.

Note - We were there along with the Maasdam and there was a volleyball game between passengers of the two ships.

Rich

Hi Rich, I printed out the dailies and been studying them already. But I was wondering. I thought they showed movies in the queens lounge? I may need new glasses but I didn't see any on the dailies posted? I was wondering if they showed movies daily, how many times a day, was there popcorn? If you remember, what movies were being shown? they may not change before I go and I wouldn't want to rent them before I go.

Hi Rich, I printed out the dailies and been studying them already. But I was wondering. I thought they showed movies in the queens lounge? I may need new glasses but I didn't see any on the dailies posted? I was wondering if they showed movies daily, how many times a day, was there popcorn? If you remember, what movies were being shown? they may not change before I go and I wouldn't want to rent them before I go.

Sunday - embarkation - no movie in Queens Lounge

Monday - at Sea - Flawless - Michael Cain & Demi Moore - 7pm

Tuesday - Grand Turk - Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Harrison Ford - 10am

Wednesday - Tortola - The Incredible Hulk - Edward Norton - 3pm, 6pm

Thursday - St Martin - 21 - Jim Sturgess & Kevin Spacey - 12:30pm

Friday - at Sea - National Treasure 2 - Book of Secrets - Nicolas Cage - 11:30pm

Saturday - HMC - Iron Man - Robert Downey Jr, Gwyneth Paltrow - Noon & 7pm

These are shown in the Queens Lounge

There are also 2 movies each day shown starting on the even hours, with a movie channel showing another three movies in rotation. There were a couple of good movies there including Wizard of Oz and the original Sabrina (movie channel) but I don't remember the others.

Rich

Thanks for the info Richwmn. Is the Master Chef dinner the last sea night?

On our last night (10/1 panama canal cruise on Westerdam) they called it the Farewell Dinner. They did the baked Alaskas and the menu was good but none of the Master Chef items that I recall from an earlier HAL cruise.

Meal Times --

Breakfast

Continental Breakfast 6:00am - 11:00am Lido

Breakfast Buffet 6:00am - 10:30am Lido

Table Service 8:00am - 9:30am Vista Dining Room

Lunch

Full Buffet 11:30am - 2:00pm Lido

Deli, Salad, Wok bar 11:30am - 5:00pm Lido

Pizza & Pasta 11:30am - 1:00am Lido

Hamburgers, Hot Dogs 11:30am - 6:00pm Lido Midships Pool

Dinner

Open Dining 5:15pm - 9:00pm Vista Dining Room

Early Seating 5:45pm Vista Dining Room

Late Seating 8:00pm Vista Dining Room

casual alternative 5:30pm - 8:00pm Lido

Pinnacle Grill

dinner 5:30pm - 9:30pm Pinacle grill

All times subject to change based on port arrival and departure.

Thank-you for the new shots. They are very helpful.

Were you able to attend either of these events? They seem costly and I was wondering if they were worth it.

The Chef's table $129/person

Premium Wine Tasting $35/person

I know the dollar is weak and was wondering about these pp/costs.

hi

does anyone know the prices of the photos

thanks

The formal night sheet (one 8X10, 2 wallet, one other size?) was $39.95. Don't know the size of the casual shots because we got one free with a gift package from the in-laws--maybe $12-15?

Archived