Millennium 3/15/09 Sailing Canceled (Several merged threads)

Andy

Hi Everyone !

I'm sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news, but I have just been informed the 3-15-09 Millennium sailing has been canceled. I will post more information as it becomes available.

The compensation package is expected to be generous. I should have details on the compensation shortly. For those booked on this sailing, I hope you will be able to re-book on another Cruise soon !

Hi Everyone !

I also wanted to let those booked on this sailing know that Celebrity has set up a Special Help Desk for assistance.

The phone number is 1-888-281-9343.

Any details as to why?

Hi Firstplacechef !

It is a mechanical issue, and the ship is being Drydocked. I'm trying to post more details. Please check back in 10-15 minutes.

WOW...Andy, did you post this over on the roll call?

Its a cruise downunder:eek:....I am thinking there are going

to be ALOT of unhappy cruisers:(

WOW...Andy, did you post this over on the roll call?

Its a cruise downunder:eek:....I am thinking there are going

to be ALOT of unhappy cruisers:(

Hi Lois !

I posted on the Roll Call, and I linked them to this thread.

Hi Everyone !

Here are some bullet points on the compensation. Please be aware this information may not be 100% accurate. I urge those booked, to call Celebrity's Special Help Desk at 1-888-281-9343, for details, and assistance.

Also, please don't flame the messenger. I am simply trying to help those who are booked.

- A Full Refund of all monies paid to Celebrity for the 3/15/09 sailing.

- A Future Cruise credit in the amount of the Cruise fare paid, which may be used for sailings that depart on or before 3/30/10. The Future Cruise Credit cannot be used on Holiday or Celebrity Xpedition sailings.

- Up to $250.00 per person for Airline change fees - For those who did not purchase air through Celebrity.

- Refunds and Future Cruise Credits will be processed/sent automatically. It should take about 2 weeks.

I don't think anyone would flame you, you are just giving valuable information. Any more info about the problem? I assume its serious since they couldnt wait for the May drydock.

What is the expected return date?

Hi Everyone !

Here are some bullet points on the compensation. Please be aware this information may not be 100% accurate. I urge those booked, to call Celebrity's Special Help Desk at 1-888-281-9343, for details, and assistance.

Also, please don't flame the messenger. I am simply trying to help those who are booked.

- A Full Refund of all monies paid to Celebrity for the 3/15/09 sailing.

- A Future Cruise credit in the amount of the Cruise fare paid, which may be used for sailings that depart on or before 3/30/10. The Future Cruise Credit cannot be used on Holiday or Celebrity Xpedition sailings.

- Up to $250.00 per person for Airline change fees - For those who did not purchase air through Celebrity.

- Refunds and Future Cruise Credits will be processed/sent automatically. It should take about 2 weeks.

Thanks Andy!

An incredible hassle, however, Celebrity is handling very well. Seems like a pretty good deal overall!

Andy I just noticed that the March 29th sailing is also off the X site. We have some folks doing B2B2B have you heard anything about the March 29th sailing??

A month long drydock is really long. Must be a major issue.

Steve

It must have been pretty serious to justify the cancellation costs (to passengers) that Celebrity will incur as well as the disappointment many passengers must feel. The compensation seems pretty generous. Do other lines do the same in similar circumstances?

I was on the Millennium last Nov/Dec and on the night of the 6th December there was a complete electricity cut from around midnight until almost 7am. Perhaps something similar that needs to be put right!

Sue

Andy I just noticed that the March 29th sailing is also off the X site. We have some folks doing B2B2B have you heard anything about the March 29th sailing??

A month long drydock is really long. Must be a major issue.

Steve

Hi WNCruiser !

I asked the question, and at this point, the 3/15 sailing is the only sailing that is canceled. If I hear anything further, I will post it here.

Thanks Andy!

An incredible hassle, however, Celebrity is handling very well. Seems like a pretty good deal overall!

The compensation seems pretty generous. Do other lines do the same in similar circumstances?

Hi Pinot Noir & Cruiseyguy !

No doubt it's a disappointment for those booked, and I feel bad for the passengers. With that said, this is an extremely generous offer by Celebrity. Over the years, Celebrity has stepped up to the plate, when these types of situations happen. I feel they are doing what they can (and then some !) for their passengers.

Cruiseyguy : I've seen other lines cancel sailings. Typically, the compensation package is not nearly as good as what Celebrity offers.

Unfortunately, the compensation is of little comfort to those of us who are packed right now ready to embark on the trip of a lifetime. After we get over the shock and disappointment, the details that need to be attended to , etc maybe we can be grateful for Celebrity"s generosity, but for now I am mourning the loss.

SO, the Millie should be currently enroute from Sydney to Auckland... If she sails empty from there on the 15th it would be a 2 day voyage to the only drydock in these parts big enough to take her (Brisbane, Australia) and then depending on how long she's in drydock for, she could just motor down from Brisbane to Sydney in time for her March 29th voyage to NZ :D

Fingers crossed it all works out!

I wonder if it is the electrical generator or the engine problems. I have seen several posts about the ship losing electrical power. Hopefully Andy can find out some more info. I feel terrible for those on the cancelled sailing(s).

I'm booked on this cruise too, and of course it is terribly disappointing. We were told it was the propulsion system that is the problem. Andy, thank you for trying to keep everyone informed. We have to start e-mailing tour operators, hotels, shuttle transfers, etc. to cancel, so I have to get busy. I really had a hard time getting the time off work, and getting all my shifts covered, and now I have nowhere to go. If anyone hears of any great last minute deals, especially air-inclusive, please post it!

Yeah! They should take their billion dollar investment and put all M class ships in the junk yard.

Lets be realistic..

This is HORRIBLE. If my Med cruise in May gets cancelled I will go over the deep end.

But I booked it knowing the risk- which is these ships have a history of needing drydocking once every other year or so. So I played the odds.

My heart breaks for everyone that was scheduled for this sailing.

EDIT COMMENT- The post I was replying to was just removed.. so now mine is a bit out of context.. Sorry!

I, too, was scheduled on this cruise. I'm disappointed and have a lot of work cancelling tours, etc.. I would rather the cruise get canceled than something happen while out to sea or middle of cruise. Just another reminder to always buy trip insurance.

I, too, was scheduled on this cruise. I'm disappointed and have a lot of work cancelling tours, etc.. I would rather the cruise get canceled than something happen while out to sea or middle of cruise. Just another reminder to always buy trip insurance.

True, Aurora just had an issue with propulsion when it left Sydney a couple of days after Millennium last week. As a result, it's limped around to Auckland, skipping its scheduled ports on the way, and will still need to skip more at this stage. Having gotten on that cruise it can't be much pleasure to be going through that either (not that I'm suggesting there was any advance warning in that case).

Archived