Anchorage and Seward questions

bunduo

Just booked my sister and I on the June 19th cruise on the Ryndam. I was wondering:

What is a good place to stay in Anchorage?

Did you go by train or motorcoach from Anchorage to Seward? Did you do it on your own or did you buy a transfer through the cruiseline? Should you reserve in advance or can you arrange for transport when you arrive?

What is the port like in Seward? What is there to do in Seward? Is it complete chaos like the Port of Miami or Port Everglades?

Please feel free to add anything that you think might be of help.

Thanks in advance. -Matt

Just booked my sister and I on the June 19th cruise on the Ryndam. I was wondering:

What is a good place to stay in Anchorage?

Did you go by train or motorcoach from Anchorage to Seward? Did you do it on your own or did you buy a transfer through the cruiseline? Should you reserve in advance or can you arrange for transport when you arrive?

What is the port like in Seward? What is there to do in Seward? Is it complete chaos like the Port of Miami or Port Everglades?

Please feel free to add anything that you think might be of help.

Thanks in advance. -Matt

I stayed at Captain Cook and was very pleased with the hotel. You can travel by either train or motorcoach to Seward. The train trip had gorgeous scenary! I booked my train through Alaska RR verses the cruise line and saved some money. I did reserve this in advance and booked it via the internet.

Seward is a wonderful town and there is tons to do. You may even consider spending a night here before or after your cruise. I loved seeing Exit Glacier. Other people have taken boat trips in the area. Mitch Seavey (winner of 2004 Iditarod race) has a place near there that you can see Iditarod dogs and take a wheeled dog sled ride - I wish I had done this. Budget Queen will give you lots of advice here.

The port area is very different than FLL and Miami. Seward is a small town and there was only one ship in Seward the day I embarked. The check-in area is not as elaborate as in FLL or Miami and can be chaoic when a bus or train drops hundreds of passengers off at one time but otherwise, it is a nice place to embark. I only was able to spend a day in Seward and wish I would have spent more time there.

Here are some pics of Captain Cook hotel, train ride through Alaska RR and some pics of Seward:

seward

http://www.sewardak.org Request the visitor guide. The rail is superior for scenery. The bus is always my last choice, I have driven the Seward Highway many times. The depot is downtown Anchorage for independent booked passengers- $59 about?? Cruise contracted rail picks up at the airport and runs about $90. Seward is DEFINATELY worth a visit- I too strongly advise at least one overnight. Consider a day cruise to Kenai Fjords- you will NOT have the opportunity for as varied, close up viewing of wildlife nor as close up glacier viewing. Just superior all the way around compared to cruise ship sailing. In Anchorage- HOPEFULLY you are spending time there? Excellent adventures in this city, car rental allows far more touring options however, otherwise- select your lodging CAREFULLY around your desired activies. http://www.anchorage.net again-request their visitor guide.

Coral, awesome pics! We booked the Voyager Hotel yesterday. Tripadvisor gave it rave reviews. I called the Hotel yesterday and spoke with Kelly who couldn't have been more helpful. I forgot to ask her how far the train depot is from the hotel! The Voyager is across the street from the Captain Cook. Coral or Budget Queen, how far was the hotel to the train depot? How did you get there at 6am?

Budget Queen - thanks for links. We'll have a day in Anchorage and most of the day in Seward! Yeah!!! After I'm done posting this message, I'm going to request the visitor's quide you suggested. I am going to reserve spots on the train today. Will they send you confirmation? Is it an e-ticket or do they send paper?

As usual, Cruise Critic is the best one stop shop for answers! Thanks a bunch.

I had the hotel call me a taxi in the morning. The taxi ride felt like 5 minutes and was very inexpensive. I would recommend packing some water or juice and some granola bars/snacks for the train ride. I don't remember receiving written verification of my rr tickets - I just printed a receipt from the website.

There is a very good restaurant near the hotel - it is called Glacier Brewhouse: http://www.glacierbrewhouse.com/

I was really impressed with the food/service here.

The Hawthorne Suites, 3*, $79 before 6/1, with breakfast provides free shuttle van to train station, we were told to be there at 5:30am. The train should be $59 one way from Anc to Seward and leaves at 6:45, arrives at Seward at 11:05am. Nice trip on train. We have ridden bus, driven and rode train. Kenai Fjords Tour has 6hr tour at 11:30 and will pick you up at train station, store your luggage and get you back about 5:30. Assuming your ship is leaving at 8-9, you should have time to look around. Don't wait too long to book 6hr tour. On our Sept trip, we waited and it was sold out on our departure day, and we had to go a day ahead from Homer to take the Kenai tour.

Seward is nice small town, Exit Glacier is nice two hr visit as is Seavy Dog Kennels and tour. Plenty to see there if you decide against the 6 hr tour. If you take the boat tour, take precautions, it can be rough out there.

John, thanks for the information and advice. Very much appreciated. I was wondering what to do with the luggage but you answered my question! So it is recommended to be at the train station at 530am? Did you book the Kenai Fjords online? Thanks again!

I have booked the Kenai Fjords trips and Alaska RR always online. Never any problems. I would be at the depot in Anchorage an hour ahead, just so you aren't rushed. You pick up your tickets at the depot and your luggage goes on a baggage car.

We booked AA on line for the trip to Seward. No problem. Luggage loading was breeze as they had plenty of people there. They had only expected 75 people and got additional 200 so they ran out of breakfasts on trip down. Good thing we had Continental breakfast at hotel plus food and water with us. We did not book Kenai Fjords Tours online, but tried two days ahead to book from Homer and it was full. (They had told me on phone way ahead that they would have two boats if necessary, which they did not do, thus they were full.) So we took tour as walkons on our way back from Homer to Anch. So upon arrival in Seward, we went straight to Summit and spent easy afternoon getting organized and resting up from our 8 day land travels.

Seward is definately worth the trip...it gives you a good feel for life in a fishing town, although it also caters to tourists, so there are lots of small shops, hotels, restaurants, etc. I prefer the train as you go spectacularly close to a glacier and see parts of the Kenai not seen from the road. I usually prefer trains to roads anyway, as they give you a glimpse into the real life of people...the reality of their backyards as opposed to the facade of their front yards :) Glacial Blue, Anchorage

Sherry,

We have stayed there for about 5 nights on two different trips when we were arriving in Anc or getting ready to leave for flights or for ship at Seward. There rates for 3* with expanded breakfast are pretty good for relatively new property, with suites, for time BEFORE June 1st or AFTER Aug 30th!! I think the lowest rates I found here for AAA, AARP, Mgr's Spec, etc, was $79-89, with breakfast and free shuttle. On this last trip, we stayed at BnB for two of our three nights in Anc, staying at Hawthorne on last night due to close to train station and the shuttle. For the months between those dates, the rates double!! I guess because they can. We have also used Puffin Inns when we had to find a place at 9pm on Sat night after driving back from denali. Got a $99 rate for moderate, with a large corner room.

Thank you John! We are arriving in Anchorage Sept.4, Sept 5 and 6, Denali. Don't have a place yet. Sept. 7, Talkeetna Lodge. Sept 8 and 9, back in Anchorage. Train to Seward 10th, staying at the Windsong. Get on Holland's Ryndam for the cruise back to Vancouver Sunday Sept. 11

Archived