Uk Mobile phoen users

doemichael

I have searched and there are a lot of threads about mobile/cell phones but I want to ask a question to uk users please.

My 2 children ( 19 + 21 ) are reluctant to leave their phones at home, when we go on holiday to europe they use them for texting. Have checked with the mobile companies and they have confirmed pricing for using phone in Europe which if the same onbard is ok. Does anyone know if they use their mobiles onboard is there extra charge or should they wait until they are ashore to use them ?

thanks

I have searched and there are a lot of threads about mobile/cell phones but I want to ask a question to uk users please.

My 2 children ( 19 + 21 ) are reluctant to leave their phones at home, when we go on holiday to europe they use them for texting. Have checked with the mobile companies and they have confirmed pricing for using phone in Europe which if the same onbard is ok. Does anyone know if they use their mobiles onboard is there extra charge or should they wait until they are ashore to use them ?

thanks

Gidday.

Eastern Europe uses same system as UK, so firstly, they should have not have any system incompatibility.

They should set up "international roaming" with thier provider.

Dependant upon the provider, FROM land based calls in will be charged at providers international rate.

When ON LAND in Europe, Calls IN whilst roaming will be charged at the UK providers rate PLUS the providers fee for re-directing.

Wow, this gets deeper :confused:

Onboard, and at sea, the INCOMING and OUTGOING provider is from the ships "TOWER" , and you pay for that at a VERY expensive rate.

So, basically, yes, best to take only SMS on board, and make/return calls at your UK partner rates when on shore.. SMS rates out from ship, depends upon the SHIP providers cost, and that will show on next months bill..

Cheers.

Phil

Onboard, and at sea, the INCOMING and OUTGOING provider is from the ships "TOWER" , and you pay for that at a VERY expensive rate.

So, basically, yes, best to take only SMS on board, and make/return calls at your UK partner rates when on shore.. SMS rates out from ship, depends upon the SHIP providers cost, and that will show on next months bill..

Cheers.

Phil

this is the bit I wanted to know, if the text while on the ship is it more expensie, so guess it its lol

thanks

May I ask which network they are on? This can make a HUGE difference to price.

If they are on FLEXT with T-mobile, then they can send PICTURE MESSAGES for free (20p will come out of their allowance each time) - text messages are charged at 40p (and are not out of the flext allowance).

receiving picture and text messages are free.

Receiving and making calls are EXPENSIVE.

VOICEMAIL is HUGELY EXPENSIVE and any time I go away I phone T-Mobile and ask for it to be completely disabled, so if someone calls it just rings. The person at the other end will hear a foreign ringtone, so if the phone isn't answered they will understand why!

I can't be as in depth with other phone companies, but I know Vodafone are doing a international roaming deal this year.

I hope that helps!

May I ask which network they are on? This can make a HUGE difference to price.

If they are on FLEXT with T-mobile, then they can send PICTURE MESSAGES for free (20p will come out of their allowance each time) - text messages are charged at 40p (and are not out of the flext allowance).

receiving picture and text messages are free.

Receiving and making calls are EXPENSIVE.

VOICEMAIL is HUGELY EXPENSIVE and any time I go away I phone T-Mobile and ask for it to be completely disabled, so if someone calls it just rings. The person at the other end will hear a foreign ringtone, so if the phone isn't answered they will understand why!

I can't be as in depth with other phone companies, but I know Vodafone are doing a international roaming deal this year.

I hope that helps!

They are both on o2 and according to their tarriff theyc an still use their free texts but 1 text in europes takes 4 of their free texts if that makes sense lol

My DD used her phone when we were in Spain in march and only cost her about £5 extra that month on her bill for a few calls she made. I think I have them convinced to turn them off when onboard lol

OP, when we were onboard the ship, my cell phone (Belgian though, not UK, and I have a triband cell phone) showed "Maritime" as provider. I wasn't able to send text messages, didn't receive any. I didn't try to call though.

Once on shore (Key West and Cozumel), we were able to call, but not always to send text messages, it really depended on which provider we had. (Turning off the cell phone and turning it back on sometimes makes you "change" provider, this is a trick we also use in for example Germany)

I have a company cell phone, so I don't pay for it, but I do receive a monthly overview of the costs. Calling home from Cozumel/ Key West wasn't that expensive (about 50 €ct per minute) but these are company rates, no idea how much it would be for a "private" phone.

you need to just ask yourself the question "Why do you see so many crew dash out to the payphones on the quayside ??" answer- because it is too damn expensive to use a mobile on/near the ship. If you use the phone ashore but are still near to the ship the signal can still go via the ship's system:eek:

If you use the phone ashore but are still near to the ship the signal can still go via the ship's system:eek:

Yes I had thought fo that one lol Guess will just have to get them to check what nextwork they are on OR try and get ehtme to leave them at home although do not think that will happen lol

Personally, I switch my phone off during the cruise and put it on for an hour or so in each port (so it gets a cheaper rate than the ship) in case anyone has texted dire news from home. Apart from this, it stays off 'cos I'm on holiday!! It really annoys me how over the last few years everyone on the ship walks round glued to the phone just like at home. Surely nothing is that important! If its bad news, it will catch up with you soon enough!! (Rant over:D)

Simon

Archived