Towel Animals

MarinaDCA

I know some people think these are stupid and/or a waste of time. Thats fine, but its a cruise ship thing I was really looking forward to.

Is it OK to ask the cabin steward for one of these? Should I think about tipping a bit extra at the beginning if I plan to be high maintenance with the towel animal? (Though I really only need one to coo over and photograph).

Just a small little something I don't want to miss.

(No, there's no children traveling with us, its just me who loves these little things :D)

I know some people think these are stupid and/or a waste of time. Thats fine, but its a cruise ship thing I was really looking forward to.

Is it OK to ask the cabin steward for one of these? Should I think about tipping a bit extra at the beginning if I plan to be high maintenance with the towel animal? (Though I really only need one to coo over and photograph).

(No, there's no children traveling with us, its just me who loves these little things :D)

We have only had a few over all our cruises with Princess.

I don't think its a big deal to ask "Stewart" at all.

Some don't have a clue how to make them though. ;)

Since you are not traveling with kids ask. I wish I did on our first cruise without the kids. On this one with the kids we got them every night without asking. It doesn't hurt to tip the making hands a little extra;)

2508181930101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Why don't you just Google "making towel animals" & learn how to do it yourself and this way you don't have to bother the cabin steward who is busy doing his almost impossible job. Ask him for a few extra towels & fill your cabin with them.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/618261/how_to_make_a_cruise_ship_towel_animal_aka_towel_origami/

Why don't you just Google "making towel animals" & learn how to do it yourself and this way you don't have to bother the cabin steward who is busy doing his almost impossible job. Ask him for a few extra towels & fill your cabin with them.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/618261/how_to_make_a_cruise_ship_towel_animal_aka_towel_origami/

Thanks for the link. Now I can have the fellas at home and in my cabin:D:)

My cabin steward owes me for all the time I spend cleaning up my cabin.

It embarrasses me for him to see the cabin messy:eek:

Dont be afraid to ask the steward to make some for you...He/she may not do it every night but some....Princess is one of those cruiselines that doesnt do the "towel animal" thing, but some of the cabin stewards do know how to do it....

Well I could do that.... but what I was really hoping for was a towel animal on my very first cruise, which is why I asked here instead of just going to google and looking up how to do it myself ;)

I know lots of people think they are worthless and a waste of time... but to others it is something to look forward to.

Thank you all the replies and especially the pictures!! I loved it, you husband did what I would do :D

Towel animals tickle the crap out of me so when I fax'd my request in for eggcrates on the bed, I asked for them. We had the very best "Stewart" (Jessie on the Grand) who made them for me 6 out of 7 nights. I certainly was not expecting them every night but was very happy when I did get them. Doesn't hurt to ask! We did leave an extra tip.

My DH thought I was nuts. He attempted to make one for me as a joke when I left the room one time. He'd better stick with his day job.

I think they should have sessions for how to make towel animals! All I know how to make is a swan.
Excellent idea. Then, those who want towel animals can make their own.

Never could figure out why RCI had these seminars, they dont make towel animals either...:confused:
They used to. I've had RCL stewards go into my drawers and through my things to find something to "dress up" the towel animal on a couple of different RCL cruises.

To the OP, yes, you should definitely tip extra since your steward might then have to explain to other passengers why they didn't make up their cabin in a timely way and were making animals instead.

Excellent idea. Then, those who want towel animals can make their own.

They used to. I've had RCL stewards go into my drawers and through my things to find something to "dress up" the towel animal on a couple of different RCL cruises.

To the OP, yes, you should definitely tip extra since your steward might then have to explain to other passengers why they didn't make up their cabin in a timely way and were making animals instead.

Thanks for the friendly response there! :rolleyes:

I will be sure to tip extra as I am asking for extra, but I hardly think they would have no time to make up an entire other room because they make me ONE towel animal during my week long stay.

There are room stewards on Princess who know how to make the Towel Animals. On our Emerald 2008 TA, our room steward, Marlon when he first introduced himself on the 1st day, told us to watch out for his towel animal demo in the Piazza. I said I had heard that Princess does not provide the towel animals ( never had one on our 5 previous Princess cruises to this point ). He said that they usually will make them for children if the room steward knows how. So we did not expect any but he did make a few for us and his other guests. Not every day like on Carnival and NCL but it was a nice surprise to walk in our room and occasionally see one.

BTW: Marlon has worked on Princess for over 17 years so don't know where he learned how. He was very good.

I will be sure to tip extra as I am asking for extra, but I hardly think they would have no time to make up an entire other room because they make me ONE towel animal during my week long stay.
Once you've had stewards going through your personal possessions in closed drawers and pulling out and using your things without your permission, you'd feel a bit differently about towel animals. Yes, I'm biased but I think I've got a pretty valid reason to feel this way. It's happened more than once to me which is why I'm so glad Princess doesn't do it.

You know how Princess has seminars/workshops on napkin folding? I think they should have sessions for how to make towel animals! All I know how to make is a swan.

It is not easy with towels. I tried once and it is very hard with towels. Much easier with t-shirts. Room stewards used to do that but I guess some guests complained about room stewards touching their personal clothing. In the 90's, our room steward made some beautiful animals for our boys. The room steward only used shirts we had left out on chairs... never went through our closet or drawers. The animals look cute with sunglasses so leave a pair out for them to use. LOL:D

Once you've had stewards going through your personal possessions in closed drawers and pulling out and using your things without your permission, you'd feel a bit differently about towel animals. Yes, I'm biased but I think I've got a pretty valid reason to feel this way. It's happened more than once to me which is why I'm so glad Princess doesn't do it.

That's fine with me if you don't like them. I don't mind my things being used as props (unless we're talking my unmentionables, if they go through that....well thats a chat I need to have to someone in charge!!) and its clear from my question that I DO like them.

However I asked this question because this is my first cruise ever and I *want* one. So was asking if I could get one. Not whether Google has instructions for making them or if I would have the opportunity to make my own. of course I could learn to make my own... I realize its an option...

Its not for everyone, but some responses have made me wish I never asked the question to begin with, as some of the responses have seemed mean spirited to me. Guess that is why I lurked so long here before joining in, most people are good but there are a few....well....

I think they got many complaints about that so I don't think they do that any more on any of the cruiselines. That's why they went to using towels.

Ours never did go through our things but I understand how you feel if yours did.

Ask and ye shall receive. Our steward on the Dawn made 4 of them for me when I asked. We were on a 10 day and I was thrilled to get 4. I'm sure he made them when he had a few extra minutes and didn't mind at all and in fact was happy that I asked. I did tip him extra with a note saying how much I loved them.

While I don't want my "unmentionables" gone thru and used I wouldn't have a problem with a hair pin or glasses or hat or something. I never felt like my drawers had been gone thru.

I hope you have a wonderful first cruise.

Its not for everyone, but some responses have made me wish I never asked the question to begin with, as some of the responses have seemed mean spirited to me. Guess that is why I lurked so long here before joining in, most people are good but there are a few....well....

Don't feel bad! I just think it's different strokes for... well you know. We started cruising with Disney so we got into the towel animal spirit right from the beginning. I do think they are fun and whimsical!

When we first cruised on Princess I was sort of surprised when we didn't get them the first time around, but I still loved Princess so it wasn't a deal breaker. When we do get them now on Princess as we did on our most recent cruise on the Diamond this summer, it sort of feels like a special treat because we aren't really expecting them.

I'm sure if you just let your steward know that you would love a towel animal there will be no problem at all getting one of those little critters left on your bed one evening. We are all kids at heart sometimes and it's all in fun.

However I asked this question because this is my first cruise ever and I *want* one. So was asking if I could get one. quote]

It will not hurt to ask. The worst that can happen is for him/her to say no. Even if he/she personally does not know to make one, there may be others who know how so he/she may ask someone to make one for you.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Archived