Taking wine aboard?

judeg

Will be heading out for our New England cruise on Carribbean Princess in a couple of days (hurrah!) and just wondered if someone could clarify if we would be allowed to take a bottle of wine each aboard on embarkation in New York? Or are they strict about taking it off you til the end of the cruise?:confused:

Priness permits you to bring as much wine and champagne aboard as you wish. However if you take it to a dining room they will charge you a $15 corkage fee.

Ooh good news thank you, will take a few more now!!!

Ooh good news thank you, will take a few more now!!!

Hi judeg

I took a bottle of champagne with me very well bubble-wrapped in my checked luggage and then bought a couple of bottles of red at the airport which I took as carry on. We had Princess air with direct transfers from Rome airport to the ship, so didn't have time to buy it in the embarkation port.

Just wondering - are you buying yours once over the pond or will you be packing it before you go? (if the latter, just thinking about your weight limits etc :D)

In a previous thread it was mentioned that if you bring the same wine that they sell you have a much better chance of not getting charged for corkage. Someone posted a pretty good size list of wines and champagne they sell aboard. You can look on Princess's site or search this forum over the last week to find the thread and get the list. Many of the wines we typically drink were on the list;)

Thanks for all the info everyone, now wondering if I can get my 'better half' to carry a crate of Sauvignon Blanc on now!!!!! Love the idea of pouring it in our cabin and carrying it to dinner- trouble is I might have drunk it by the time I get there!!!!

Going to buy it in NY so no problems with luggage allowance- if I was buying it over here though mmmm that would have been a tricky one- to take wine or extra clothes?!!!!!:eek:

If you purchase wine on board and have it delivered to your table there will be NO corkage charge. That would be cruel and unusual punishment. You can bring a glass of wine into the dining room. Many many people do it. You can bring wine and champagne with you aboard the ship in your checked luggage so it can go through security.

My group attended a Captains Circle cocktail party one night. It was wonderful. Drinks on the Captain - anything you liked. I enjoyed it. I carried my unfinished amaretto on the rocks into the 6PM seating. I didnt feel tacky at all. Who the heck even noticed.....

ENJOY YOUR WINE!

:)

I am not sure if carrying drinks into the dining room is allowed. Even if it is, it would be pushing ino the tacky area.

I'll have to disagree on both parts. Our tablemates carried drinks into the DR every evening, and no one even looked sideways at them. We assumed they had been in a lounge having a pre-dinner cocktail, and brought their drinks with them to dinner so they wouldn't be late and hold up the entire table.

Big bubbles, no troubles. :D

Last cruise on Mariner of the Seas, our tablemates would go to the Concierge Lounge (for Diamond members) for drinks before dinner. One night the wife hadn't finished her martini, but she wasn't allowed to take the glass from the lounge. A crew member put it in a paper coffee cup for her, which she then brought to dinner. We just laughed.

Last cruise on Mariner of the Seas, our tablemates would go to the Concierge Lounge (for Diamond members) for drinks before dinner. One night the wife hadn't finished her martini, but she wasn't allowed to take the glass from the lounge. A crew member put it in a paper coffee cup for her, which she then brought to dinner. We just laughed.

Now that's cheap.

I noticed RCL has changed their policy for Diamond members :D. I saw people leaving the lounge double fisted. Ridicoulous !

Archived