One more travel insurance question

cactusrose

Based on your research, did you find any reason not to purchase the insurance offered directly through Princess itself?

Stacey, I thought the same thing. We have been taking the Princess insurance and the one time we had a claim it was paid promptly. Is there a reason why the upgraded Princess insurance is no longer good for you?

I have travel insurance with my visa card but it is certainly not as extensive as Princess. It primarily covers evenualities during the trip not anything prior such return of fees for concellation prior to the trip. The cost of full trip insurance (Princess or other) is a relatively small part of the cost of the cruise and for peace of mind I take it.

I have travel insurance with my visa card but it is certainly not as extensive as Princess. It primarily covers evenualities during the trip not anything prior such return of fees for concellation prior to the trip. The cost of full trip insurance (Princess or other) is a relatively small part of the cost of the cruise and for peace of mind I take it.

That is what I would expect would be the case with the OP's card.

Based on your research, did you find any reason not to purchase the insurance offered directly through Princess itself?

Stacey, I thought the same thing. We have been taking the Princess insurance and the one time we had a claim it was paid promptly. Is there a reason why the upgraded Princess insurance is no longer good for you?

Well . . . . I just find that the new 8% per person that Princess charges for cruise fares under $5K is too expensive for what you get. For approximately the same coverage with Travel Guard for me and my husband is about $412 less than with Princess. I have been discussing the coverage with Protecttrip dot com but before I buy through them I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with them.

Well . . . . I just find that the new 8% per person that Princess charges for cruise fares under $5K is too expensive for what you get. For approximately the same coverage with Travel Guard for me and my husband is about $412 less than with Princess. I have been discussing the coverage with Protecttrip dot com but before I buy through them I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with them.

Have you actually asked for a quote from Princess since the 8% turned out to be not very accurate for me? I have found Princess to normally be abou half the price of TravelGuard.

Have you actually asked for a quote from Princess since the 8% turned out to be not very accurate for me? I have found Princess to normally be abou half the price of TravelGuard.

Yes I did. Their quote was 8% of the cruise fare. Our cruise fare was $4350 per person. Can you give me an example of what you've been quoted. The amount of cruise fare and the premium Princess quoted you?

Thanks

Stacey

Ours covers trip cancellation. I guess you don't have the same type of card.

I often rely on insurance other then Princess's because Princess's language on pre-existing conditions is very vague and when I have called, I have not been able to get a clear answer. I also book my own air and my own hotel which is not covered by Princess's insurance.

The coverage I receive by companies such as Access America also provides a much greater medical coverage. Princess's coverage is minimal.

I have purchased Travel Guard insurance before (that's what we have for December) but through a site called trip insurance store dot com.

We have used this company for all 6 of our cruises and we are very pleased. You can call their toll free number, tell them the travel situation, and they will advise you on which policy may be better for you. They work with many different companies and they do not charge extra for the policies. If you already know what you want, use their website to get instant quotes from several different companies, compare them side by side and then make a decision. You can purchase right online. Very easy.

For example, we are traveling in December from Ohio and could run into weather delays or problems. Steve advised me to consider Travel Guard because their policy is better for weather delays, with shorter times for flight delays before the policy kicks in. Since the policies were all fairly close in price, we chose Travel Guard.

In the event that I need to make a claim, I can call trip insurance store's toll free number and they will walk me through the process. They also only use companies that they have a good working relationship with. And no, I have no affiliation with this company, and I actually learned about them from a post several years back here on cruise critic :) Thanks CC again for valuable information!

You do not have to purchase through Princess to get good insurance. There are many excellent travel insurance providers and it pays to shop around.

Whatever insurance program you choose BE SURE it includes emergency evacuation . . . ships tend to want to get ill passengers off and to a hospital ASAP . . . for your health, and also for liability protection for the ship. A helicopter evacuation can easily run $10-15K . . . to say nothing of the expense in a foreign hospital, and if your partner wants to stay with you while you are being treated . . .

Regards, Richard

insurance.jpg

Archived