Is this normal for HAL?

milokitty

We were on the Zaandam on Aug 7-14 and had a FABULOUS trip to Alaska. We went with our 2 kids (ages 10 and 13), who are growing like weeds and eat regularly (well, it seems like all the time). Unlike other cruises we've taken where food is abundant at all hours of the day and night, there was no food to be had after 8pm unless you ordered room service. The pizza/taco bar shut down shortly after 6pm, the Lido dining area closed at 8, and the ice cream station was in the Lido dining room, so it also closed down at 8pm. When we asked at the front desk, we were told if you wanted food after 8, call room service. We did that one night, but the next night there was no answer after calling for 1 1/2 hours.

Is HAL cutting back and saving money by cutting back on food availability, has it always been this way on this line, or do people who go to Alaska just want to eat less? :)

WHAT? No late night buffet in the Lido? Tell me it ain't so!

(We always do the late dinner, then have only ever had to wait a couple of hours till the late night buffet.... which meant we could make it through till morning without needing room service too often.)

My experience has been that the basic room service menu is available 24 hours a day. Don't know why they wouldn't answer.

Every evening there is a late night snack in the Lido (around 11 pm) and a different international cuisine is featured - Italian, Mexican, etc. Did your sailing not offer that?

Very odd, to say the least. I'm glad you enjoyed Alaska.

Roz

The Lido stops serving dinner at 8PM, but then reopens later for late night buffet service.

The daily program would show the hours for meals in the Lido. The ones I kept show the Lido serving dinner from 5:30 to 8:00, then late night snack (buffet) from 10:30 - midnight.

We were on the Zaandam on Aug 7-14 and had a FABULOUS trip to Alaska. We went with our 2 kids (ages 10 and 13), who are growing like weeds and eat regularly (well, it seems like all the time). Unlike other cruises we've taken where food is abundant at all hours of the day and night, there was no food to be had after 8pm unless you ordered room service. The pizza/taco bar shut down shortly after 6pm, the Lido dining area closed at 8, and the ice cream station was in the Lido dining room, so it also closed down at 8pm. When we asked at the front desk, we were told if you wanted food after 8, call room service. We did that one night, but the next night there was no answer after calling for 1 1/2 hours.

Is HAL cutting back and saving money by cutting back on food availability, has it always been this way on this line, or do people who go to Alaska just want to eat less? :)

For the most part what you say is true.

There is just too much waste to have a buffet open 24/7. Food spoils.

If room service didn't answer after 1/2 hour -- why didn't you either call the front desk or go and see them??

Also there is a late night snack usually starting around 10:30 -- check your daily program -- it is on ALL HAL ships.

We were never at a loss for food, but don't eat 24/7. We went to the 11-12pm late night buffet. Also In the Explorers lounge, the cafe ususally had baked goods between 9 - 11pm. We had growing 15 & 12 year olds with us. They ate everthing at Dinner in the Dining Room, sometimes even ordering two appetizers and deserts. Our dinner time was late at 8:00pm. This worked out very well.

We had a fabulous time! Loved the ship as much as loved seeing Alaska. Still missing the mints, and someone straighting out the room whenever we left. We are looking for more cruises on HAL now. When the kids go off to college. Watch out! HAL here we come!:D

Also In the Explorers lounge, the cafe ususally had baked goods between 9 - 11pm.

Explorers Lounge? Or do you mean Explorations Cafe? It's easy to confuse the two names.

Explorers Lounge has liquor, and those yummy chocolates. Explorations Cafe has specialty coffees and pastries.

Next cruise try grabbing a bag (or two, or three, or ...) of popcorn to keep in the cabin for just such emergencies.

We were on the Westerdam, Aug. 16th to the 23rd and tried to place an order with room service several times during the week. Our call was never answered by room service! Do they really have room service on Holland America? Whatever is going on with Holland america and room service, it needs to be fixed--we are elite with Princess and we have never had bad room service with Princess. Needless to say this was a big minus.

We were on the Westerdam, Aug. 16th to the 23rd and tried to place an order with room service several times during the week. Our call was never answered by room service! Do they really have room service on Holland America? Whatever is going on with Holland america and room service, it needs to be fixed--we are elite with Princess and we have never had bad room service with Princess. Needless to say this was a big minus.

When you complained to the pursers office about the room service problem what was their response?

Rich

My experience has been that the basic room service menu is available 24 hours a day. Don't know why they wouldn't answer.

Every evening there is a late night snack in the Lido (around 11 pm) and a different international cuisine is featured - Italian, Mexican, etc. Did your sailing not offer that?

Late night snack? Huh? What the....!!!!!

I just went through all of the Daily Programs from my Panama Canal cruise last January (I collect them) and I missed every late night snack! I guess it pays to study the stupid program! :eek:

I can't beleive I missed another opportunity to eat while onboard. Breakfast buffet on the Lido, snacks served on deck, lunch buffet on the Lido or tacos at the Terrace Grill after going ashore, cookies and ice cream from the Lido at 2, tea at 4, munchies in the Crow's Nest before dinner, pastries in the Explorations Cafe enroute dinner, and dinner in the dining room. Ohhhhh!

For what it's worth, the late night snacks I missed included: Italian, French, Spanish, Caribbean, Seafood, German, Dutch, Southwest, Mediterranean, Oriental, Canadian, Alaskan, Desert Extravaganza, and All American. Ohhhhhh!

OBTW, never had a problem with room service. They always answered and they were always prompt and they remembered our names and previous orders!

John

We were on the same cruise, and there was food every night in the Lido restaurant from 11pm till midnight. It was listed in the Daily Program.

And we usually had ice cream, too!!

We were stunned at the number of people in the Lido Restaurant at that hour of the night!!

Did you make it to the Dessert Extravaganza on Tuesday night?

the only HAL cruise we've been on where there was NO late night snack as well as NO late night ice cream was that world cruise in 2007 - they DID pass around trays of sandwiches or mini-pizzas, or a cold pork chop (I think) in three bars around 11PM.

I have never had any bad room service at HAL in over 700 days. they always deliver within 5 minutes before or after the promised time.

I ordered breakfast once on Princess and I am still waiting for it !

Late night snack? Huh? What the....!!!!!

I just went through all of the Daily Programs from my Panama Canal cruise last January (I collect them) and I missed every late night snack! I guess it pays to study the stupid program! :eek:

I can't beleive I missed another opportunity to eat while onboard. Breakfast buffet on the Lido, snacks served on deck, lunch buffet on the Lido or tacos at the Terrace Grill after going ashore, cookies and ice cream from the Lido at 2, tea at 4, munchies in the Crow's Nest before dinner, pastries in the Explorations Cafe enroute dinner, and dinner in the dining room. Ohhhhh!

For what it's worth, the late night snacks I missed included: Italian, French, Spanish, Caribbean, Seafood, German, Dutch, Southwest, Mediterranean, Oriental, Canadian, Alaskan, Desert Extravaganza, and All American. Ohhhhhh!

OBTW, never had a problem with room service. They always answered and they were always prompt and they remembered our names and previous orders!

John

Between breakfast,lunch,tea, munchies in the Crow's nest and then dinner, I can't think about the late night menu!!

I will admit on some of my sailings it took room service awhile to answer the phone. But this was mainly when everyone was returning from port and trying to order. I know one time I did an order at 2:30 a.m. and room service called my cabin before arriving.

We did not go to any of the late night snacks, just couldn't eat any more! Our son went a couple of nights and enjoyed them. Went to afternoon tea twice and just had to give up because if we had tea we had to have less food for dinner. I guess it's an age thing!:(

Archived