A monster has been created

papergypsy

We took our first ever cruise on the Zuiderdam to Alaska in June, and are now definitely hooked! We would like to think about another cruise for next year (or whenever the retirement funds will allow) but have a few questions.

• After sailing in an SS on a Vista class, is it difficult to go to a smaller ship and still be happy? How about going to a veranda or outside cabin? Is it hard to adjust?

• We had main upper dining, and totally enjoyed the experience. Is there an advantage to early dinner, other than just wanting to eat earlier?

• We are not excited about the Caribbean, and will not have the funds for Europe in the foreseeable future. Can anyone suggest another cruise that a couple of 60-something old farts would enjoy?

• Because we are not a party-hardy, foo-foo drink couple, we will be staying with HAL for future cruises. We found the HAL experience to be our perfect solution.

Be kind in your responses, remember that we are still new to all of this!

We took our first ever cruise on the Zuiderdam to Alaska in June, and are now definitely hooked! We would like to think about another cruise for next year (or whenever the retirement funds will allow) but have a few questions.

• After sailing in an SS on a Vista class, is it difficult to go to a smaller ship and still be happy? How about going to a veranda or outside cabin? Is it hard to adjust?

• We had main upper dining, and totally enjoyed the experience. Is there an advantage to early dinner, other than just wanting to eat earlier?

• We are not excited about the Caribbean, and will not have the funds for Europe in the foreseeable future. Can anyone suggest another cruise that a couple of 60-something old farts would enjoy?

• Because we are not a party-hardy, foo-foo drink couple, we will be staying with HAL for future cruises. We found the HAL experience to be our perfect solution.

Glad you enjoyed Zuiderdam and her amenities! If I had to give you advise, look into the 10-day Sea of Cortez cruises out of San Diego, CA. Smaller ship, less passengers, different type of experience but same service. Another good one is a Canada-New England cruise! Stay with the balcony, they've got you hooked!:)

Forgot a new one for 2010 - Roundtrip Bermuda out of New York on Veendam, an "S" class ship

I second the Canada/New England suggestion. Fabulous scenery and wonderful people.

We've been in suites, SS, and standard verandahs. No problem alternating among them. But the SS is really a nice size if they're available on your ship. The bathroom is worth the price of admission, IMO.

We were a bit disappointed in the Mexico cruise on the Oosterdam, but despite noro code red I really think it was because we LOVE Alaska! We're off to AK in September and again next May. We did enjoy the Prinsendam SS in Europe a lot, but the expensive flights (not to mention the expensive euro) make that trip one we won't repeat as often as we do Alaska. I have read good things about the Panama Canal trip--the RT Zuiderdam would give you that middle option between deluxe cabins and balcony.

We have done the 10 day Sea of Cortez three times and really liked it. Have also done NYC to Montreal and it was great too, but did it on Crystal. San Diego departures are really easy and that adds to the attraction.

Gary

Personally I prefer the R Class and S Class to the Vista Class. I think you would be happy on an R or S Class ship. You still get the great HAL service with friendly PAX (for the most part) and a very friendly staff from top to bottom.

Glad you enjoyed Zuiderdam and her amenities! If I had to give you advise, look into the 10-day Sea of Cortez cruises out of San Diego, CA. Smaller ship, less passengers, different type of experience but same service. Another good one is a Canada-New England cruise! Stay with the balcony, they've got you hooked!:)

Forgot a new one for 2010 - Roundtrip Bermuda out of New York on Veendam, an "S" class ship

I was about to mention Sea of Cortez as well! With as much as you liked the Vista class, I would maybe recommend the 4/24 Oosterdam departure. Same itin as Copper mentions, but on a sister to the ship you liked so much. Biggest difference between Zuiderdam and Oosterdam... Replace the majority of the red hues you saw with yellows and blues. (Oosterdam also does a longer riviera cruise that goes down as far as Acapulco and Santa Cruz Huatulco.

Or if you want Alaska in more depth, consider the Amsterdam 14 day that will include Homer, Kodiak and Anchorage plus stops in Glacier Bay AND Hubbard Glacier.

As far as accommodations, it's easy to get spoiled with the higher categories, but if you want to go with a lower category (maybe to spend more on excursions or go for a longer cruise) I would recommend booking the J or K staterooms on Main Deck of the Vista Class or one of the 2 F category rooms on Deck 4 (full floor to ceiling windows, no obstructions and reasonably midship!)

My DW and I transited the Panama Canal last January on ROTTERDAM with port calls in Columbia, Costa Rica, Guatamala and Mexico. We had a hoot! We loved walking on the prominade after dinner on formal nights, enjoying the warm tropical nights. This was also the first leg of the World Cruise and we too had late upper dinner. Our table mates really made the cruise! Many of these folks had been on several world cruises, one lady was on her 12th! Oh the stories and fun we had. We were always the last table to leave the dining room. I'd go on another Grand Voyage or at least a segment of one just to meet more of these fascinating folks.

Concerning ship size, we like the medium size R and S class ships. Generally easy to embark and disembark and it never seems crowded, a little more intimate atmosphere. They take the seas well, but like any ship, you may feel the seas.

John

John

We also love the SS SY cat. The verandah cabin on the S and R class ships is not as nice, but it is better than the standard verandah on the Vistas. So if we sail te smaller ships we take the verandah and if we sail the Vista class we choose the SY, except when we go for the Deluxe Suite!

I think Canada NE would be a good choice for you and Sea of Cortez.

Don't overlook the bargains to be found on repositioning cruises, when a ship is being moved from one area at the end of a season to another for the next season.

A couple of years ago, we sailed from Venice to Rio- 24 days, in the Rotterdam. For a balcony cabin, we paid something like $3000 each including airfare. It started as a standard Mediterranian cruise, then three ports in Africa and three in South America. Wonderful!

In three weeks, we are sailing from Seattle to Hong Kong. The ship, Volendam, has been cruising Alaska all summer, and is now moving to Asia and South Pacific for the winter, before returning to US in the spring. For the first segment, from Vancouver to Kobe, Japan, I believe the fares start at something like $800. Can't beat that!!

Karen in hot, muggy Arizona- oh, to be cruising!

In a post above, "DBA" made an interesting observation about specific cabins on the Vista Class ships.

"...Vista Class or one of the 2 F category rooms on Deck 4 (full floor to ceiling windows, no obstructions and reasonably midship!)"

Has anyone seen/put together a ship-by-ship list of cabins that have some unique feature like the full windows of these F cabins?

Personally I prefer the R Class and S Class to the Vista Class. I think you would be happy on an R or S Class ship. You still get the great HAL service with friendly PAX (for the most part) and a very friendly staff from top to bottom.

I agree. I think you'd be more likely to be unhappy going from a smaller ship to a larger one, myself. Going from Vista to R or S class should be easy.

However, going from a suite to a smaller cabin is a little tougher!!

:) Well, don't where you live so have no idea just how far you would have to travel to different departure ports.

However, Hawaii and the South Pacific are wonderful itineraries, Mexican

Riviera, South America is great, New England in the fall, and Bermuda

out of NYC or NJ are all possible.

Have never sailed with HAL as yet -- we are looking at them for Hawaii and South Pacific for Sept. '10. What puzzles me is why the cost of their

cruises are so much more $$$ than other lines for the same number of days and ports.

As far as cabin choice ------- Balcony (or we don't go !!!):D

The Cruisecritic site is a wonderful resource for all kinds of information.

Make a habit of reading as many boards as you can --- I have learned

a great deal on this site ---- whatever your decision -- have a great life.:cool:

We've been on several sizes of ships and several types of cabins and WE'RE 60-something old farts too! So I can address your questions in order.

1. Cabin size really isn't all that important. What is important are what YOUR needs are! IF you are on a longish cruise and WANT more cabin space- go for it; if finances are tight -get a smaller cabin, but GO on the cruise -you'll NEVER regret THAT part of it and say "Oh DEAR, I wish I'd never cruised to Hawaii or China or Europe"

2. SAme with SHIP size; it really doesn't matter. the smaller than vista; fewer people in the Lido lines ;)

3. Dining early CAN be a "Bad" thing if its a very port-intensive cruise & you feel TOO rushed. It can be a "good" thing if you prefer early program time for after dinner entertainment! Your choice!

4. Alaska; Midsummer is PERFECT for Alaska and relatively warm/sunny. What an EXCITING state!!!!!

5. We don't do "foo-Foo either -but a GREAT glass of wine is a TREAT! Try a "Henkel Split" a glass of iced champagne -THAT'S my favorite!

6. And you SOUND like the PERFECT cruisers to me!!!!

Our cruising story also began on a Zuiderdam .Alaskan cruise.We enjoyed our SY (same size as SS) cabin very much.

Our next cruise was an New England /Canada cruise in a verandah cabin,I actually was quite surprised with the size and found it very comfortable for our needs.We had a aft/stern/wakeview cabin and loved being able to enjoy the wake from our balcony,

We really enjoyed that second cruise (but Alaska will always hold a special place in my heart,you chose a great itinerary to get hooked on cruising:)) I wrote a review of our New England/Canada cruise you can find it under my thread posts it is entitled Eurodam Our story. It might help you decide.

We are looking at Bermuda for our next Hal cruise.

It's a wonderful problem to have trying to decide on which cruise to take.:)

I think you make a terrific monster.:D

This is a very cute post and totally agree on how special Alaska is.

We have sailed different sizes of ships and cabins ranging from obstructed view outside to mini suite. Never did the full suite. And we've been many different places including Caribbean, which we are not interested in for the destination.

In the Caribbean we choose a really nice ship and just enjoy the on board relaxation. Last Caribbean cruise was on Eurodam. We barely got off the ship one time.

The Caribbean cruises are inexpensive.

So VERY MANY thanks to ALL of you for taking the time to read my post and respond. You have given us some excellent ideas, and we are now armed for our "cruise travel fair" at the travel agent's office next Wednesday. We do regret that we did not put down our $100 for a future cruise while on the Zuiderdam, but we won't mis THAT opportunity again.

Having shared all of your info with DH, he is excited about DBA's post about the 14 day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam - yes, we could probably cruise to Alaska every year, we loved it that much. He is also excited about the New England - Canada cruise and the round trip to Hawaii.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future, you will see me posting that we booked another cruise for next year.

Thanks again - CC people are the BEST!!!!!

Canada/New Englad is a great choice so is the Panama Canal. If you haven't been to Hawaii and enjoy sea days that would be a nice cruise to try.

I have cruised in suites, OV cabins and inside cabins. Making the switch from one category to the other is easy for me. This Sat. I will be cruising in a balcony room, in Jan. a suite, and next Sept. an inside (fantastic deal we couln't pass up).

However, it might be harder for you. Try the balcony and see how you like it. If the smaller space and smaller bathroom doesn't bother you, then I suggest you save some money and book the balcony instead of the suite.

• Our first cruise was on the Volendam in a Veranda suite--R Class. Then we cruised the Med on the Rotterdam--R Class. To save money, we chose an Oceanview D which actually had more storage space than the Veranda. We then had a Oceanview DD on the Rotterdam which we didn't like---too small. We have since been on the Oosterdam in a Superior Verandah Suite---SS which does make it hard to go to a smaller size. But we love cruising so much that we tried an inside on the Ryndam and Statendam to save money so that we could cruise more. Only difference from Oceanview was one less storage closet and a shower in the bathroom. Only ships I would stick to Veranda would be the Noordam and the Zuiderdam---some of the Inside and the Oceanview are quite small.
  • I'm not a morning person so to make the early excursions, I prefer early upper. We have tried "As you Wish" and that was nice also.
  • Don't totally write off the Caribbean. There is a nice cruise out of Tampa and one out of Ft Lauderdale that goes to Key West, Guatemala, Belize and Mexico--not technically the Caribbean. We weren't excited about doing the Caribbean either. But we got a fabulous price to do this cruise at Christmas time. We liked it so much that we will do it again. There is also a 6 day repositioning cruise on the Zaandam next year that you might consider (SD to Vancouver). You could get a Veranda for a very reasonable price. And you could also consider the Veedam to Bermuda---bet there will be some good prices next year.
  • I agree with you that HAL is the perfect fit. We couldn't believe how nice everybody was (passengers) on board our first Alaskan cruise--guess I was thinking that all cruises were like those on the FUN ships.

Archived