Newport - how long are mansion tours?

sweetannie

Will be in Newport on Saturday, October 3, was just wondering how many of the historic mansions (Breakers, Marble House, etc) can we do in one day? I have seen where it takes about 2 hours to do the Breakers tour alone. Would really prefer an audio tour as opposed to doing a tour with a group.

If the 2 hours includes waiting time, I agree with your estimate. Since the Breakers is the most popular, 2 hours should be about right. The other less popular mansions may have no waiting at all. Not only will you have to contend with other cruise ship paxs but also non-cruise visitors.

Things to consider: Travel time between mansions, each are within walking distance to the next, what about lunch? no fast food eateries on Bellevue Ave, transportation to/from mansions, Newport is a tender port - how early will you be ashore?, how long is the cruise ship staying?

I could see you doing 2 mansions; 3, are you feeling lucky?

I don't know which mansions offer audio tours. I did one at the Elms. Don't short yourself by rushing the tour. Over the years, I've been to the Breakers 4 times and on each visit, I see something I had not seen before.

I hope you enjoy Newport and that you have a good cruise.

Will be in Newport on Saturday, October 3, was just wondering how many of the historic mansions (Breakers, Marble House, etc) can we do in one day? I have seen where it takes about 2 hours to do the Breakers tour alone. Would really prefer an audio tour as opposed to doing a tour with a group.

I was in Newport a few weeks ago. The Breakers now has an audio tour which is excellent. You can move along at your own pace. In almost every room, you can listen to additional information if you choose. The audio tours have made the entrance lines move much more quickly. I believe if you just follow the main highlights of the audio tour it lasts about an hour. If you choose to listen to the additional information it will take about 90 minutes. You may also want to allow additional time to walk through the grounds and down to the water.

Marble House also has a similar audio tour. Again, I believe the main audio tour lasts about an hour.

You can get a quick lunch (prepared sandwiches, salads, chips, drinks, etc.) at The Elms. The lunch at the Elms will be available daily through October 12.

Hope this helps.

Beth

Archived