Changing outfits throughout the day

daisy7113

What is a typical cruise day attire for you? Throw something on for breakfast at buffet...swim wear for the pool after breakfast...possibly change for afternoon activities...dressy for dinner...and then what do you wear after dinner? We tend to change throughout the day but I was wondering what everyone else does. First time on Carnival so I am wondering if it will be more on the casual side.

We use to do just as you say... but then we realized we were spending so much time worrying about clothes.

Now on sea days I get up, throw on a swim suit and cover up and head for the Lido deck. I read for a bit and then head in to grab some breakfast from the buffet and bring it back to my deck chair enjoying the ocean while I eat. Don't usually make my way back in until 5 or so. Then change for dinner.

On port days I dress for whatever we're doing in port..once back on ship. usually change in to a casual dress or capris and then later change for dinner.

What is a typical cruise day attire for you? Throw something on for breakfast at buffet...swim wear for the pool after breakfast...possibly change for afternoon activities...dressy for dinner...and then what do you wear after dinner? We tend to change throughout the day but I was wondering what everyone else does. First time on Carnival so I am wondering if it will be more on the casual side.

I'm having way too much fun for all that changing clothes stuff. What I put on in the morning lasts me until time for dinner. If I swim, then after showering, I'll put the same clothes back on.

It's a cruise not a fashion show.

Plus, my 21" roll-on-board suitcase won't hold 2/3 changes of clothes a day...and that's all I take.

My first cruise was in the Caribbean in July, so it was hot hot hot!

I put on an outfit for my shore excursions, came back and showered then changed into another casual outfit before late dinner, when I dressed up, and I generally stayed in my dinner clothes to go out for the evening.

Luckily I wasn't as hot and sweaty in March or December, so unless I got really filthy hiking in the muck or something, I just changed before dinner. And I now take jeans with me to wear to the show or to the bar if I don't feel like staying in heels after dinner ;)

I pack way too much!

If you enjoy changing clothes throughout the day then by all means do so!!!!!!!! Who cares what anyone else does!! (no offense to any other posters :))... some women enjoy doing that (guilty!) and if that will add to the enjoyment of your vacation... go for it! I like to plan outifts for different times of the day and pack for it, even if I decide on board that I don't feel like changing... I know lots of people say pack half of what you think you need, but if you enjoy your clothes, then I think a cruise is THE ABSOLUTE PERFECT TIME to be a fashion plate... On my last cruise I took 9 pairs of shoes ;) and 4 cocktail dresses, among everything else...my daughter had about the same amount....Happy Cruising!!

Depends...

On a sea day, I'm known to start the day in a swim suit and cover up (unless we go to the MDR for breakfast...then I wear regular clothes before changing into a swim suit), then before lunch, I'll change into comfy clothes. Sometimes I'll change again before tea into something a little nicer and then I'll change again before dinner. Rarely, I'll change again after dinner. And then I'll change into my pj's before bed.

On a port day, I'll start in, usually, shorts or jean capri's and tank tops, then I'll change into my swim suit if I have time to swim before dinner, then I'll change into my dinner/night outfit.

But I'm also a crazy, insane over packer. I like my options and I like to change clothes...kind of like playing adult dress-up :p

I don't do the pools so I have an advantage. I dress in the morning for the day.. shower and change for dinner, stay in those clothes for the evening (only exception sometimes I'll change on formal night)

Getting dressed twice in one day is enough for me. Someday I would probably like to do a PJ cruise. I'm sure I'd be a happy nude cruiser if I wasn't so worried about distressing the other folks.

I always think the amount of clothes thing people bring is funny....

On one of the group cruises I have done here with Cruise Critic one of the young ladies brought.......21 pairs of footware. Heals, sneakers, flippies, sandles, pumps and the lists goes on.....

21 pairs of shoes is way over the top to me......

After my first 2 cruises, I realized that I was packing too much - I wasn't wearing the "casual day" outfits that I wear all summer long like skorts and kakhi shorts. I wear a swim suit every day, and throw on a cover up dress or cotton shorts and a t-shirt for breakfast in the dining room, and stay in that throughout the day. My hair goes into a pony tail or clip as, unlike at home, I shower before dinner. That is my only change of clothes and I tend to stay in whatever I am wearing to dinner - capri pants, skirt or dress, depending on the night. Sometimes I will dress back down on elegant evenings before heading out, but sometimes not.

I usually keep whatever I wore to dinner on after dinner, if we plan on taking advantage of any of the shows or nightlife. UNLESS my feet are super-swollen, which has a tendency to happen. Or unless we're just going to stroll around the ship or sit and people watch, then I'd probably just put shorts and a tshirt on.

If you enjoy changing clothes throughout the day then by all means do so!!!!!!!! Who cares what anyone else does!! (no offense to any other posters :))... some women enjoy doing that (guilty!) and if that will add to the enjoyment of your vacation... go for it! I like to plan outifts for different times of the day and pack for it, even if I decide on board that I don't feel like changing... I know lots of people say pack half of what you think you need, but if you enjoy your clothes, then I think a cruise is THE ABSOLUTE PERFECT TIME to be a fashion plate... On my last cruise I took 9 pairs of shoes ;) and 4 cocktail dresses, among everything else...my daughter had about the same amount....Happy Cruising!!

You sound like me!!! I change clothes 2 times a day(maybe even 3) and then sometimes I don't. I love having the clothes to change into if I feel like. Don't even get me started on the shoes:) I am an overpacker and proud of it :p To each his own!

This last cruise I spent most of my time in my swimsuit & coverup. We stayed out by the pool a lot. 2 port days I also wore swimsuit & coverup as they were water activities. Dunn's I wore quick-drying nylon shorts & t-shirt (didn't want to risk ruining my new swimsuit). On days we were going to be inside a lot, I wore shorts & a top. I dressed up for dinner, but immediately changed afterward - I get so cold in the public places on the ship. Wore jeans, top & light jacket to the shows. I try to pack less each time, knowing I can do laundry (which I do once midweek). I still overpack.

I definitly overpacked on my 1st cruise, I wasn't sure what to expect. I had clothes for the day, clothes for the night, a couple dressy dresses, extra clothes incase i got sweaty & smelly, flip flops to match everything. Yikes. Totally unneccessary for me. I had my bathing suit on all day on or off the boat since our excursions were water related. While on the boat I had a sarong wrap that I used as a cover up & off the boat i threw a tank top & comfy shorts or skirt on over my bathing suit. That would last me until dinner time, then i'd throw on a cute top & dressy capris or a skirt. I was definitly able to rewear a lot of my shorts, skirts & dressy night clothes. There is laundry on the boat as well, but I don't think i'd want to spend any time, even a mere 30 minutes of my vacation doing laundry. :rolleyes:

Great post! I, too, enjoy clothes and fully intend to continue packing lots of them. Cute outfits are part of the fun of cruising for some of us.

It depends on what I am doing during the day. If it is a day where I am I am wearing a swim suit to go to the pool or beach I will change when I am done. If it is cruise elegant day I will change for dinner and stay in that outfit the rest of night. If it is day when I am wearing shorts (only wear long dress shorts) or capri's and it is not cruise elegant night then I will not change. DD(12) and DH change clothes multiple times during the day. I always pack 2 times as much for them. DS(15) will wear basketball shorts and t-shirts all day and change for dinner. Sometimes he stays in his dinner clothes for the rest of night and sometimes he changes back.

On sea days, I'll often wear a blouse that can be paired with a skirt or pair of slacks for dinner in the MDR during the day with shorts. I'm not much one for the pools/hot tubs, honestly. On port days, I wear a tee and shorts over a swimsuit, but expect those to get soggy since I am always in the water on my excursions, so those will dry overnight in the bathroom, and will be worn again on the following port day (sometimes a different tee, sometimes not), so I will put on dry clothes after an excursion.

The most changing I do on a cruise is for elegant nights...during which I tend to dress up a LOT more than usually (as I said before, mostly just throwing on a skirt or slacks for dinner on non-elegant nights). BTW, I don't change out of my elegant night wear until I am ready for bed. One of the benefits of having late dinner, I suppose...you have dinner, see the show and then off to bed (unless you plan on dancing the night away, which I rarely do!) YMMV!

Happy Cruising!

party.gif

Archived