? re: Adventure Ocean

jagwebb

My daughter turned 3 in July and has been potty trained for several months so we are hoping that she will enjoy AO when we sail on the Freedom at the end of this month. I am a little paranoid about leaving her with complete strangers though. My question is - - how does the check in/check out process work on Freedom?? We have been on many cruises - but this is our first with a child. My main concern is how do they know you are the right person to pick up the child? Do they make you show identification? I just want some assurance that they do some type of verification to make sure they are releasing the child to the right people. Thanks

Adventure Ocean does a good job.

You get a beeper and they do check ID's. You have to let them know from the start who will be able to check your children in and out.

We went with my mother... and found out one night that Grandma couldn't check the kids out.

Whoops.

Added her name to the list and everything was copasetic.

edit:

Also, adults aren't really allowed into the kid's areas at all... Even picking up my one son... he wouldn't tear himself away from the computer... I had to wait by the door while one of the crew members got him.

For the most part, the AO counselors are pretty nice.

I always try to make a point to see if they have any education background and experience. Some actually do!

edit2:

The kids also get a wristband to wear the entire cruise. It lets the AO folks know that the kids are "enrolled" in the program, and helps them determine which age group, etc. Sometimes you get BIG little kids... y'know? So the kids are always in an age appropriate group.

Mack is right, there are many many safety protocol in effect for Adventure Ocean.

On the newer ships, for the younger kids (3-5's) they wear an alarm braclets that has to be logged out of the computer before the child can be removed from the area.

To pick up, you must be on the list and you must have your sea pass. No, not even grandma can pick her up if Grandma's not on the list. ;)

The only correction I have to Mack's post, the "braclet" that's worn the entire cruise is a YEP (Youth Evacuation Plan) braclet, not an Adventure Ocean braclet. For each child (younger ones), as soon as they get on the ship, a braclet is placed on their wrist saying which Muster Station they are in. So in the event of an emergency which require everyone to report to the life boats....your child will be reunited with you at the muster station using that braclet.

we did not have pagers on our cruise on the FOS in August.

the AO staff goes through training - I felt perfectly leaving DS (4.5 years) in the Adventure Ocean - they did a great job of taking the group of kids to and from lunch and dinner. Very organized!

and if you decided to get a babysitter at night, know that they go trough a child safety training class - our sitter worked in the kitchen during the day - and earned extra money babysitting at night.

They will NOT let "anyone" take your child, and to be honest, everyone is on vacation, and has NO INTEREST in taking someone's else's child....true!

The kid's club has highly trained people who will take fabulous care of your child. Don't worry!

It's GOOD for your child to start developing a bit of "independence" from Mom and Dad...that's what the purpose of raising a child is...is it not? To have them become "independent" of you? Even at 3, it's time to let them have experiences without you! You don't have to leave her there 24/7, but a few hours here and there will be a great learning experience for BOTH of you!

Archived