RCI vs. Costa for Suez Canal Cruise to Dubai

DGF

We are planning a cruise from a European port through the Suez Canal to Dubai and then possibly a short seven day cruise around the United Arab Emerates ports

Have found four cruise lines with itineraries- Seaborne, Regent, RCI and Costa. Given the economy, have decided to rule out Seaborne & Regent; although itineraries tempting

Any experiences/ recommendations on RCI Brilliance of Seas vs. Costa would be greatly appreciated- accommodations, food (quality, selection & service), entertainment, shore excursions, etc.

Thanks

To me, the difference would depend on which ship Costa is using this year and next. Brilliance is hard to beat as a large, but not gigantic ship. Last year, Costa sailed out of Dubai using one of their oldest ships with virtually no balconies and smaller cabins. Also, my experience has been that Costa spends less time in port than most other cruise lines; whether this is a fuel saving thing, I don't know. But those Dubai based cruises don't cover a large area- for the most part, the ports are just a short overnight trip apart. But having sailed on several RCCL ships, including Brilliance and her sister ships, and a few Costa ships, I would always pick RCCL first:)

Thanks

I believe the ship Costa will be using is their new ship Deliziosa which has plenty of balconies and is reportedly an upgrade to the previous ships they have

DEAN

As a TA I have been on the Deliziosa and I can confirm it is a lovely ship, but it is not an RCI Raidiance Class, and I'm afraid that is my favourite class of mid-range ship, so would be Brilliance for me every time.

I will also be on the cruise from Barcelona to Dubai. Prices start at $1095 for in inside cabin which is really cheap for a 14 day cruise.

This is my 2nd time on the Brilliance and she is a beautiful ship.

You will love her so come and sail with us on January 4, 2010.

Alan

Steve & Veronica, Alan

Would love to join you on the Jan 4, 2010 departure but will be returning from a New Years party on board the Maasdam. We are looking at the 2011 crusie

Have a great cruise and please send us an e-mail with your experiences- deangayle@rogers.com; or use this thread for a post

Hope to hear from you

• 5 months later...

Hello all

We have been reading some recent reviews/ threads on the Brilliance of the Seas where concerns have been raised with the ships wear and tear and more important selection and quality of food

Any help welcome as we have to make a decision shortly on using air miles for the air flights

Thanks

I tried to be as objective as possible in my review below, but I would say bits are tired and worn and some bits are really nice. The theatre though, is in a right state.

I haven't tried Costa, but if it's a new ship, I wouldn't hesitate. I will now accept all Brilliance loyalists flames with good grace.

They both look good ships, for me the clincher would be the smoking policies, Costa has a much more liberal smoking policy, if you are a smoker that may be very good for you, (for me it rules them out), smoking is allowed in cabins and in most places in the ship apart from the resturants.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=225

The biggest drawback (for some) about Costa is there completely retrograde approach to smoking. You can puff away. My brother went on them twice and finally gave it up. He had to clean everything due to the very weak smoking policy when he got back, his wife got sick from it. I won't go near them, let alone one out of Europe.

RCL would seem a nicer choice.

I tried to be as objective as possible in my review below, but I would say bits are tired and worn and some bits are really nice. The theatre though, is in a right state.

I haven't tried Costa, but if it's a new ship, I wouldn't hesitate. I will now accept all Brilliance loyalists flames with good grace.

She was in dry dock in May 08 - how can she be in a poor condition already?

Costa - think smoking, announcements in 5+ languages and Italians who do not know the meaning of the verb 'To Queue'.

She was in dry dock in May 08 - how can she be in a poor condition already?

Costa - think smoking, announcements in 5+ languages and Italians who do not know the meaning of the verb 'To Queue'.

They don't makeover everywhere on a ship when it is dry-docked, as I am sure you are aware.

There were clearly areas that had been refurbished and others that most certainly were not, like the theatre, which is certainly the worst I have seen, but perhaps the best example would be the Brilliance of the Seas sign over the pool. It was very tatty with peeling paint.

This wouldn't affect anyone's enjoyment at all, but it seemed strange to me that the ship's own name was scruffy.

In the end, it's a ten year old ship. It can't possibly look as new and shiny as a ship of less than five years.

First of all let me say I've enjoyed all my cruises on both lines.

Last year we did 3 cruises on different RCL ships (although never been on Brilliance) and then at New Year we did Costa Luminosa (only 6 months old) from Dubai.

I'm a non smoker and I don't like the smell of smoke and I had absolutely no problems on Costa. Although smoking is allowed in many of the bars it is limited to a certain area, we always sat on the non smoking side and were fine. Smoking is not allowed in the buffet, dining room and theatre.

I thought the food was significantly better than that served on RCL these days although it is much more European in style. There were some nights that there were no beef dishes at all on the menu which I know bothers some people. Costa still have some of the things that RCL has cut in the last few years, multiple courses on the menu, bread baskets on the table, lunch served in the MDR even on port days.

Evening entertainment is fairly similar on both lines but Costa do not seem to have as many daytime activities.

The real difference to me is the passenger mix, on Costa the vast majority of people are non English speaking Europeans. I find being with so many different nationalities quite enjoyable but it seems to be the thing that puts many people off Costa.

Julie

First of all let me say I've enjoyed all my cruises on both lines.

Last year we did 3 cruises on different RCL ships (although never been on Brilliance) and then at New Year we did Costa Luminosa (only 6 months old) from Dubai.

I'm a non smoker and I don't like the smell of smoke and I had absolutely no problems on Costa. Although smoking is allowed in many of the bars it is limited to a certain area, we always sat on the non smoking side and were fine. Smoking is not allowed in the buffet, dining room and theatre.

I thought the food was significantly better than that served on RCL these days although it is much more European in style. There were some nights that there were no beef dishes at all on the menu which I know bothers some people. Costa still have some of the things that RCL has cut in the last few years, multiple courses on the menu, bread baskets on the table, lunch served in the MDR even on port days.

Evening entertainment is fairly similar on both lines but Costa do not seem to have as many daytime activities.

The real difference to me is the passenger mix, on Costa the vast majority of people are non English speaking Europeans. I find being with so many different nationalities quite enjoyable but it seems to be the thing that puts many people off Costa.

Julie

Julie

Thank you for your informative report, in particular your observation on smoking and food. Am I correct to understand that that you would classify the food as being good but not spectactular?

We are unfortunately spoiled with the Cunard Grills, Crystal, and Oceania food but given the itinerary and price, food will have to suffer as long as good selection and good quaility exists. How are the speciality restaurants?

Liminous ship photos look very interesting but understand that getting to the departing port north of Rome can be a challenge for international flights?

Limited English (presumably Italian) would be a challenge but an enjoyable oportunity to meet other cultures. Are the announcements and menus, etc. also in English? Does the ship offer language courses?

Thanks

DEAN

Compariing the two lines below and in all honesty as I have only been on one Costa ship and only two RCCL in the last two years:

Food: MDR RCCL , Buffet Costa (both very close)

Workout facilities: Costa had an amazing workout room, it was staircased several floors in the front of the ship.

Cabins as in layout, cleanliness, condition: Tie

Service as in cabin steward, waitstaff, barstaff and Pursers Desk: Edge to RCCL but close, see below.

Price for Cruise: Costa as kids usually go free.

Entertainment/activities: This one isn't even close. Costa was the most boring cruise of the nine we have been on. I never thought it possible to have a mainstream cruiseline be that dull. Onboard activities on Sea Days were crafts. HAL was a rocking partyship compared to Costa. If you have kids the "Daycare" isn't a hit with them either.

Costa is great if you stay to youself and don't enjoy meeting other passengers, don't need entertainment and aren't bringing any kids along.

I didn't mind the anouncements in 5 languages its kinda like beiing in a US airport monorail. They did keep anouncements to a minimum.

As for the reports of smokey Costa ships, I really can't say it was any worse than any other ship I have been on. I am not a smoker and would have noticed it.

Keep in mind that the onboard staff have to know alot of languages, Italian, German,French, Russian, Spainish, and English. We had problems with our room key, checking in at dock and one port there was a tendering miscomunication. I think the problem was that the Officers were all one nationality and didn't seem to be real clear on directives to the deckhands and stewards (who were various nationalities) hence alot of miscomunication to passengers.

Julie

Thank you for your informative report, in particular your observation on smoking and food. Am I correct to understand that that you would classify the food as being good but not spectactular?

We are unfortunately spoiled with the Cunard Grills, Crystal, and Oceania food but given the itinerary and price, food will have to suffer as long as good selection and good quaility exists. How are the speciality restaurants?

Liminous ship photos look very interesting but understand that getting to the departing port north of Rome can be a challenge for international flights?

Limited English (presumably Italian) would be a challenge but an enjoyable oportunity to meet other cultures. Are the announcements and menus, etc. also in English? Does the ship offer language courses?

Thanks

DEAN

Dean,

I've never been on Cunard, Crystal or Oceania but I imagine their food is probably better than Costa or any of the mid price cruise lines. However we found the food on Costa good, equal to that on Celebrity which was our previous favourite. We didn't try the speciality restaurant.

Italian is the first language but everything is repeated in English and menus, daily news etc are available in English. All the staff speak good English and there is an English speaking hostess too.

There are Italian lessons, we went on our first Costa cruise and they were very good fun.

Our cruise sailed from and returned to Dubai, if you are leaving from Savona I believe Costa runs a transfer service from Milan airport.

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived