Crown Princess have mid-ship mini-suite would you mark no upgrade?

lovevacadays

Just curious. We have a mid-ship mini-suite category AA on the Crown. I love the open mini-suites because I really like looking down and seeing just ocean below. Also, my friend traveling with me does have pain in her ankle so thought a mid-ship where she won't have to walk long halls might be good. I didn't mark my cabin no upgrade because I did like the thought that we might get a full suite. However, it looks like suites are all over the ship. I like aft cabins but not too excited about forward. Also looks like the Penthouse Suites have a very narrow balcony? Is that true? I like the size of the balcony on the mini. But wouldn't mind having those perks. Any thoughts from anyone?

If you are concerned about the location of your stateroom, then I would definitely mark your booking as do not upgrade. You are correct that full suites can be anywhere onboard the ship, and although there is only a slight chance you might be upgraded to a full suite, if location and balcony size is of main concern, I would mark your booking 'no upgrade' just to play it safe.

• 2 years later...

We have stayed in mini suites mid-ship and loved that location. I'd stay there. While it might be a wonderful surprise to get upgraded to a full suite, the chance of that happening is like snow in Maine in August. Happens, but rarely.;)

I'm starting to think that free upgrades are gone anyway. A friend of ours had booked a Mini Suite for there upcoming cruise. They were contacted on Thursday and asked if they wanted to upgrade to a suite; for $399 each! I guess it's an ok deal compared to full price, however certainly not complimentary. I also would be concerned about getting a forward suite. Make sure you ask where on the ship the suite is located. After all, you are paying for it!

I'm starting to think that free upgrades are gone anyway. A friend of ours had booked a Mini Suite for there upcoming cruise. They were contacted on Thursday and asked if they wanted to upgrade to a suite; for $399 each!

This is exactly what I would do if I ran the line. Instead of "free" upgrades, I would first try to sell the upgrades to first-time cruisers, or people who did not have a long history on that cruise line. Make them think that I was giving them a "special" deal, while still putting cash in my coffers. If I ran into a cabin crunch and really needed to open up some rooms as departure day grew closer, I would forego the extra income and offer free upgrades to long-time customers. But to give away an upgrade without first trying to get money for it seems like a bad percentage play at a time when every nickel counts.

• 1 month later...

On our first cruise, we booked a AD mini suite and got a free upgrade to a full suite, but our TA assured us that it was very unusual and we shouldn't count on it happening again. We ended up in an aft suite and it is a long walk to get anywhere but that didn't bother us.

From the information you've given, you should probably stick with what you've got.

What do you mean by open mini suite and looking straight down to ocean?? Do you mean on other staterooms wibalcony you look down on the balcony below?? I have never sailed on Princess but have on RC and I would like to book on Princess.

What do you mean by open mini suite and looking straight down to ocean?? Do you mean on other staterooms wibalcony you look down on the balcony below?? I have never sailed on Princess but have on RC and I would like to book on Princess.

The minis on Dolphin deck on the Crown, and other Princess ships as well, have no roof over the balcony. Some people like this, others don't care and some hate it. The balconies above Dolphin deck don't come out as far as the Dolphin minis do so the balconies above them can look down onto the Dolphin minis. You do, however as noted, have a direct view down to the ocean. I don't mined the no roof/no privacy aspect of these balconies, others, as noted, do.

The sides of the Grand-class ships are tiered, not straight down, so balconies on Caribe deck are half-covered/half-uncovered and those on Dolphin deck are completely uncovered. As said, all cabins above you can see the balcony. The Emerald deck balconies are completely covered which is great for those of us who are unable to stay in the sun or if the weather is cooler or even drizzly.

You do look down at the balconies below. Obviously, you can also see the ocean. What I like about the Dolphin mini's is your look down is totally ocean and not staggered balconies and ocean. It's kind of like being suspended from the side of the ship, in my opinion.:)

However, if the thought of people in the balconies above having the opportunity to see you out on your balcony will bother you, you might want to try and book one of the Emerald deck mini-suites. There are a limited number of them (alot less than Dolphin deck.)

Archived