Cheapest island for photo equipment?

Hi there

I have bought 3 cameras from St Maarten, from Boolchands, think they were better priced than when I went to the same shop in St thomas. I didn't look for cameras in the route you're going on when I went there last year (Bar etc.,), but I would suggest checking to see if they have a branch in any of the places you're going to as the prices are way cheaper than anything you can get in the UK.

Be careful. Be sure you're not buying "gray market" camera items. These are things that're sold under the same name, and they appear to be identical the the US versions, but IF they ever break, they're slightly different -- cheaply made -- on the inside, and no one can work on them.

This was a big issue years ago when I became serious about photography. I don't know whether it's better or worse today.

Nowadays, with cameras and lenses, the only difference between grey market & regular goods is the warrenty. A camera destined for Europe or the USA is built in the same production line as one destined for Hong Kong or Abu Dhabi.

A company can tell where the warrenty is valid purely from the serial number.

The reason companies do this is so that they can charge different prices in different regions.... and due to grey markets, these differences are not as large as they used to be!

VP

Archived