Whats this Honey chicken I read so much about?

djneph

DH is a big fan of this chicken, although I'm not sure why. He usually gets a piece of dark and a piece of white meat. It isn't bad, but to me it is just average fried/baked chicken...tasty most times, but not really exceptional.

Hey Everyone,

I keep reading about some honey chicken dish served in the windjammer for lunch? I have never come across this dish. How long have they been serving it? The only thing i can think of is that it is served on embarkation day and I would always board 30min before departure and missed it. :( hopefully I get to try it on my next RCI sailing.

If you only board 30 minutes before departure on the first day you have a problem as all passengers must be onboard 60 minutes (90 minutes in some ports) before the ship sails :eek:

I tried it once a long time ago and had just one bite, this was before I read all the claims from people how good it is. So I tried it the next time, still didn't like it but figured maybe I just got a bad piece.

The last time we boarded the ship, I made sure to look through and get a fresh looking piece and guess what??? It was still dry, overcooked chicken with some sweet sticky breading on it. I could feel a big lump of fat under the breading. I spit it out, pushed it to the side of my plate and I swear I'll not try it again.

After reading about the Honey Stung Chicken for months on CC we were VERY excited to try some on our FOS cruise last week.

And so I did....

... It was far and away THE WORST THING I ATE ALL WEEK! The pieces I had were drier than dry. Somehow, I was able to not go hungry for the week though. :)

:D I felt the same way when I first ate their Vidalia Onion pie... I said THIS IS IT?

It's horrible....:D

We found something on Voyager that was called Honey Stung Chicken.....it was more baked than fried....more like overcooked, dried out something-or-other with some sweetish glaze. I just couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about.....

And, I agree that I had sort of the same reaction to the Vidalia Onion Tart....not memorable. But then, there is so much I can't remember anymore that maybe I'm the problem! :D:D

The only honey type chicken we had was from room service. The honey wings were FAB !! we ordered 2 ordered and licked our fingers clean. You just have to try those. Get the fries also! That is not to be missed for a late day 'snack' on your balcony...Yummy! Try and enjoy!

If you only board 30 minutes before departure on the first day you have a problem as all passengers must be onboard 60 minutes (90 minutes in some ports) before the ship sails :eek:

Well when you are an employee and just have to walk across from the corporate office after your shift, they make exceptions. Plus I havent sailed in 2 years so this rule didn't really apply then.

As I no longer work for them, I will be embarking earlier and eating lunch on the first day, since I have paid for it now, want to get my moneys worth.

The only honey type chicken we had was from room service. The honey wings were FAB !! we ordered 2 ordered and licked our fingers clean. You just have to try those. Get the fries also! That is not to be missed for a late day 'snack' on your balcony...Yummy! Try and enjoy!

Thanks for the tip, we'll have to try that!

:D I felt the same way when I first ate their Vidalia Onion pie... I said THIS IS IT?

It's horrible....:D

Exactly how we felt about both! Tried each and won't bother again:rolleyes: Well, maybe not exactly horrible, but certainly boring at best and not worth trying again:D

Tried it on Grandeur, not impressed. I'm not even sure where the "honey" name comes from. It was just chicken and not very good at that.

"Honey" is marketing-speak for "lots of corn syrup." The way to hook people is through fat, salt, and sugar and adding the third of these to fried chicken is how you get a crowd-pleasing dish.

I always look forward to the Honey Stung Chicken on the first day. I've had it good and icky too, but it to me it means the beginning of the cruise so I always give it a try. Otherwise I usually stick to the salads.

Oh, and I also agree that the Vidalia Onion pie is YUCK!

Hey Everyone,

I keep reading about some honey chicken dish served in the windjammer for lunch? I have never come across this dish. How long have they been serving it? The only thing i can think of is that it is served on embarkation day and I would always board 30min before departure and missed it. :( hopefully I get to try it on my next RCI sailing.

I tried the honey chicken 2 weeks ago and thought it was much ado about nothing.

On a Enchantment 5 night cruise, served just once, in the WJ for embarkation lunch....two pieces...EXCELLENT....juicy, tender, flavorful white meat.

Went back for seconds, looked like a new tray...disappointing, dried out!

Now consistency...I'd still try it again though.

Now the tuna and roasted pork selections were consistently good, especially with the terriakyi sauce!

Archived