Civitavecchia to Rome by train

SarahK81

Hi! I will be traveling to Rome for this first time in November, and I am confused about the trains in Rome.

Can I get from Civitavecchia to Rome's St. Peter's station in the morning, and then from Rome's Termini station back to Civitavecchia in the afternoon? Looking online, I have not seen any tickets to or from Civitavecchia that stop at the St. Peter's station. Is it not possible or is it just not advertised?

Thanks! :D

We bought the BIRG tickets in Civitavecchia which allows you to take the train from any station as well as unlimited rides on the Metro all day. We took the train from Civitavecchia to St. Peter's in the morning and left Rome from the Roma Ostiense station. That way we avoided the Roma Termini station which can be a madhouse. The Metro Pyramide station takes you to about a block away from Ostiense station. Very easy

• 3 weeks later...

Ciao,

Through my webpage I have seen many links to posts on this site and have helped many cruisers in Rome… so I figured I would do a “summation” and that might answer some questions.

In Civitavecchia - as you frequent cruisers know - you can probably get off around 8 AM but you have to be often back sometime near 6:30 PM. Do check with your ship so you know your time parameters. That said, the best way to come into the city from the port – the fastest and cheapest way - is by train.

You can purchase a BIRG ticket at the train station or at a newsstand or Tabacchi shop on the way to the train station (avoid the lines!). The BIRG ticket cost and is good for the trip INTO Rome, the trip BACK from Rome, and also FREE metro, trolley and bus rides while in Rome! The BIRG ticket covers free transportation in FIVE zones of the Lazio Region, and Rome and Civitavecchia are in those five zones. Do note that for train travel, the BIRG ticket is ONLY good on Regionale Trains – not the IC and IC Plus trains - and only good for 2nd class travel on the Regionale Trains. But it's only about a 70-75 minute ride into Rome; less if you jump off early! The BIRG ticket is a GREAT buy and will save you hundreds of dollars in transfer costs – and don’t fear, the train will packed with other cruisers too! You will not be alone in your journey to Rome (nor your return)

As you come into town, you can get off the train at many stops. Most folks go all the way to Termini Station and travel from there. But you can also get off the Regionale trains at Roma San Pietro (the Vatican), Roma Trastevere (ride the #8 tram into the city center), or Roma Ostiense (jump on the metro and avoid the crush of Termini). If you ride into Termini Station, you will arrive usually at tracks 26-29 which is on the far outskirts of the train station. It will take you a good 8-10 minutes to get to the main station. Add this into your “return time” if you are catching a train back from Termini Station.

From Civitavecchia, most trains will stop nine times before they get to the LAST stop which is Termini. The Regioanle train stops – in order from Civitavecchia – USUALLY are as follows:

S. Marinella – Marina Di Cerveteri – Ladispoli-Cerveteri – Maccarese-Fregene – Roma Aurelia – Roma S. Pietro – Roma Trastevere – Roma Ostiense – Roma Tuscolana – Roma Termini .

It’s always good to know the stop BEFORE your stop! These should help you. Reverse, the path on the way back... the last stop on a Regionale before Civitavecchia on your return trip will USUALLY be S. Marinella. TAKE NOTE – If you are on the IC Plus trains, your BIRG ticket is NOT GOOD (you’ll have to purchase a reserved seat ticket before getting on the train) AND the stops will be different. These guidelines are for the open-seating and most frequent running Regioanle trains.

Here’s a copy of the current train options. DO CHECK the Trenitalia site as schedules do change tw3ice a year (and also differ slightly on weekends)… but here’s the best REGIONALE trains you can use the BIRG ticket on for a journey to and from Rome.

The best trains to catch to Roma Termini from Civitavecchia are:

07:33 C.CCHIA 08:50 ROMA TERMINI #3259

07:59 C.CCHIA 09:20 ROMA TERMINI #12231

08:41 C.CCHIA 09:50 ROMA TERMINI #2335

08:59 C.CCHIA 10:28 ROMA TERMINI #12233

09:41 C.CCHIA 10:50 ROMA TERMINI #3263

Getting back, the train options for Roma Termini to Civitavecchia are:

15:39 ROMA TE 16:57 C.CCHIA #12244

16:09 ROMA TE 17:13 C.CCHIA #2344

16:39 ROMA TE 17:57 C.CCHIA #12246

17:09 ROMA TE 18:15 C.CCHIA #3262

17:14 ROMA TE 18:27 C.CCHIA #3264

If depart from Rome to Civitavecchia from stations Roma Ostiense, Roma Trastevere, or Roma San Pietro, the times will be slightly later than these posted from Roma Termini. Highlighted in red are the trains most folks ride.

Here are some links that may help you out on your journey to Rome (from the USA), your arrival at the FCO airport (from the USA) , where to wait if you’re meeting folks at the airport, the FCO train station (if you‘ve got a few days before your cruise which starts in Rome), the best coffee and gelato spts, the best views in town, and how to ride the bus, trains, and metro in Italy.

Arriving at FCO

FCO Train Station

Where to Meet at FCO

Civitavecchia to Rome by Train

Riding Trains in Italy

Termini Station – Arriving by Train

Riding buses in Rome

The Metro in Rome

The Different Types of Restaurant in Rome

Gelato in Rome

Markets in Rome

ATM’s in Italy

Coffee in Italy

Best Views in Rome

Strikes in Italy

Good Luck in your travels!!!

Ron in Rome

www.roninrome.com

roninrome - thanks so much for the fantastic detailed info on Rome. It is very much appreciated. I was hesitant to take the train from FCO into Rome - but with your pictures showing the way to the train I now feel confident that I can do it. Thanks so much for all your time and efforts.

Yep, it's that easy to get into Rome from the cruise terminal, following Ron's info. It is an easy 10-15 min walk from where the cruise ship shuttle bus drops you off, to the train station. Ron - welcome to the CC forum! Ron is one of the better resident posters on the Rick Steves " To the Boot" forum, so his comments and help will be very welcome to CC.

If using the Birg ticket from Civitavecchia and exiting at Ostiense station, how do you get to the Metro B underground station?

It's connected, as mentioned, just follow the signs. Be clear on the direction you want to go, however. split platform boarding.

Good point Budget Queen - when you've done something many times you forget what you didn't know the first time.

Metro lines in Rome (and many other places) indicate their direction by the last stop on the line. You will be getting on the B or Blue line metro and you want the track going toward Rebibbia, which is the last stop in the direction you want. There will be only one stop between Ostiense and Colosseo (Circo Massimo).

If you'd like to see (and/or download) the metro map, you can find it here:

http://www.atac.roma.it/docunet/file.asp?mid=3&rid=4

We will be taking the FM3 line to Gemelli station from Civitavecchia do you know if there are alot of steps to take to get to the FM3 line?

Just to be clear, from Civitavecchia you take the FR5 and change at Roma San Pietro to the FR3, which goes north to Gemelli. You may need to take stairs under the tracks and back up, but I'm not sure. I've only gotten on the train at San Pietro, never gotten off there.

We will be taking the FM3 line to Gemelli station from Civitavecchia do you know if there are alot of steps to take to get to the FM3 line?

It's at least a "flight" of stairs, which goes under tracks that you will have to take up and down. There is only one side of a track that is direct access to the station, so odds are having to use the stairs, unless you get lucky.

Thank you! We are staying at the Marriott by the Gemelli station. I hope this is not to much of a hassle to get into the main parts of Rome? There is a free bus to the A line Ottaviano station. We will be in Rome three days our first time.

We are staying at the Marriott by the Gemelli station. I hope this is not to much of a hassle to get into the main parts of Rome? There is a free bus to the A line Ottaviano station. We will be in Rome three days our first time.

I prefer to be more centrally located, in order to easily stop back in the middle of the day if I feel like it, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

What do you want to see and do in Rome? This is a good location for visiting Vatican City - when you get off the free bus at the Ottaviano station the entrance to the Vatican Museums, Piazza San Pietro and Castel Sant'Angelo are all within walking distance.

Unfortunately, the metro in Rome isn't particularly useful for tourists. You could, however, take the metro from Ottaviano to Spagna (Spanish Steps) and head out from there to see the Spanish Steps, Via Condotti, and Trevi Fountain.

You could also take the metro to Termini and switch lines to go to the Colosseum and the Forum.

That is what we though too. We can take the metro to most of the places we have talked about. Then we will go above ground! We have used the Tube in London many times an it looks like the metro while not as big will work for us.

Archived