Civitavecchia to Rome by train

SarahK81

Ron you have been amazing with your wealth of information. Ok, I think my daughter and I will take our chances with the train. I am assuming we should take the train to San Pietro in order to tour the Vatican Museums and Basilica. Then I am assuming we can take a double decker bus somehow from there to Ancient Rome and see Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and the Colosseum. So if that's the case not sure if there is a train stop near there or if we need to take the bus back to get the San Pietro train to get us back to the dock. I guess what I need to find is a map showing all the local transportation and their stops so I can nail things down.

Karen

Great info - Thanx!

We are taking the Jade in December with one day in Rome

We spent part of our honeymoon in Rome and would like to revisit our favorite spots.

We are planning on taking the train and would like to see the Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona at a minimum.

What stations would we get off at etc?

Thanx

Melanie

I am assuming we should take the train to San Pietro in order to tour the Vatican Museums and Basilica. Yes.

Then I am assuming we can take a double decker bus somehow from there to Ancient Rome and see Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and the Colosseum. I'm not sure what double decker bus you mean, perhaps the HOHO? You can take the public buses much more easily and more quickly.

From the Vatican Museums and the basilica, the fastest and most direct way to the Colosseum is a taxi. You could take the metro but it will be time consuming.

So if that's the case not sure if there is a train stop near there or if we need to take the bus back to get the San Pietro train to get us back to the dock. I guess what I need to find is a map showing all the local transportation and their stops so I can nail things down. To download Rome public transit and regional train maps, go to www.atac.roma.it.

Hope this helps.

Based on Google Maps, walking time from San Pietro to Vatican Museum main entrance is about 25 minutes. Would it be faster if I take the Metro from San Pietro to Valle Aurelia and then transfer to Vatican Museum station?

I have booked the Vatican Museum guided tour, can I enter the Museum via St. Peter's Square?

Thanks

Based on Google Maps, walking time from San Pietro to Vatican Museum main entrance is about 25 minutes. Would it be faster if I take the Metro from San Pietro to Valle Aurelia and then transfer to Vatican Museum station?

There is no metro stop at Roma San Pietro. Also, the train station Auriela is about three miles from the metro stop Valle Aurelia, so train to metro in this case isn't an option. If you are in a great hurry, a cab from the train station is your best bet.

I have booked the Vatican Museum guided tour, can I enter the Museum via St. Peter's Square?

No, the entrance for the museums is on Viale Vaticano. (If you are making a google map, the cross street near the musuems entrance is Via Tunisi.)

One quick question about the BIRG ticket. Once I validate it at the Civitavecchia train station, do I have to validate it again every time I ride the Metro?

No. Validate it and then tuck it away somewhere safe. Odds are you'll never be asked to show it the rest of the day. If you are asked, however, it's critical that it be validated.

No. Validate it and then tuck it away somewhere safe. Odds are you'll never be asked to show it the rest of the day. If you are asked, however, it's critical that it be validated.

I was curious about this also. I know you only have to validate it once, but how do you get into the metro, do you have to swipe the birg ticket or show it to someone? Are there some kind of turnstiles to get into the metro?

Good question. It's been years since I used the metro in Rome and I really don't remember, in recent years I've found the buses much more convenient. Lots of folks on these boards report taking the train to Ostiense and then the metro, so I'm sure someone will chime in and clear this up.

I am assuming we should take the train to San Pietro in order to tour the Vatican Museums and Basilica. Then I am assuming we can take a double decker bus somehow from there to Ancient Rome and see Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and the Colosseum. So if that's the case not sure if there is a train stop near there or if we need to take the bus back to get the San Pietro train to get us back to the dock.

Yes, you can take the Regioanle train from Civitavecchia using the BIRG ticket and jump off at San Pietro Station... but I would do just the opposite if this was my first time in Rome. I would ride the train into town and get off at Termini. From there, I would walk to the metro inside the station and go to the Metro B line. I'd ride the Metro B line TWO stops to the Colosseo.

Now, you can do this many ways, like getting off at Ostiense, and jumping on the metro there - or by gettting of at Trastevere and riding the #8 or #3 trams into the center of town... but for first-timers, I'd keep it simple. The train ENDS at Termini so get off there.

After you see the Colosseo, then I would ride the 85 or 850 bus from the Colosseo (standing on the opposite side of the street from the Colosseo - the bus stop just in front of the metro stop you came out of). The 85 or 850 bus will take you onto the Via Corso. It is the 4th stop after you get on... or the 2nd stop AFTER you get on the Via Corso - you will have gone through the HUGE Piazza Venezia and then onto the narrow Via Corso...

At this 2nd Stop on the Corso, you get off the bus (push the bell if no one else has... but I'm sure other folks will be jumping off)... then from here you can go 500 north (right as you get of the bus) to the Trevi Fountain --- or 500 south (left as get off the bus) to the Pantheon.

I'd do Pantheon, then Trevi, then Spanish Steps (northwest from Trevi, follow the crowds and signs - take a Google Map print out with you!), and then from the Spanish Steps ride the Metro Line A to Ottaviano.

Jump off at Ottaviano and walk south towards the walls in from of you. To go to the Museums, head right (west) on the walls and follow the walls until you get to the entrance on Viale Vaticano. To go to St. Peter's Square from Ottaviano, just keep heading south. Signage, crowds, and the white statues in on the Colonade in front of you will let you know you're headed the right way.

You'll really have to watch your time - and may need to eliminate some parts of your route. The advantage of going this way is that San Pietro train station is one of the last stops heading out-of-town back to Civitavecchia - so you get a little more time on the back end. There is usually (CHECK YOUR DATE'S SCHEDULES) a 16:29 train, and 16:59 train that will get you back.

If you do the Museums, DO take the shortcut into the Basilica (The LEFT SIDE doors as you walk away from the "Last Judgement" wall), then exit out, see the Basilica interior... then exit the Basilica and head southeast towards the San Pietro train station - about a 10-12 minute walk from the Basilica. If I was planning to catch the 16:29, I'd be leaving the Basilica NO LATER than 16:00... Plan on 2-2.5 hours from the time you enter the Museums to "race" through and into the Basilica and run through it! So I'd want to be at the Vatican Museum entrance probably no later than 1 PM - 1:30 PM.

I've done this with folks a many times.. you have to be alert of your time. I'd use the 16:29 train from San Pietro as my primary... and count on the 16:59 as my emergency train.. I haven't "lost" anyone yet - They all made the boat!!!! But with thr "train delays" of Italy, I'd give myself some wiggle room.

Once you validate your ticket in the machines in Civitavecchia you should not validate again. One time should cover it... but if you CANNOT see the print-out well, when you go through your first metro it will "scan" and often validate your BIRG ticket... just depends on how the validation machine worked before you get on the train at Civitavecchia. I'd suggest if you cannot SEE a validation, then stick it in a bus validation (or metro) once you get to Rome... To use the metro, you have to insert your BIRG ticket into the turnstiles.

For help on riding the metro, click this link: The Metro in Rome . For assistance on the buses, Riding buses in Rome and for arrivng at Termini Station, see Termini Station – Arriving by Train

Hope that helps!!!

Ron

Yes, you can take the Regioanle train from Civitavecchia using the BIRG ticket and jump off at San Pietro Station... but I would do just the opposite if this was my first time in Rome. I would ride the train into town and get off at Termini. From there, I would walk to the metro inside the station and go to the Metro B line. I'd ride the Metro B line TWO stops to the Colosseo.

Now, you can do this many ways, like getting off at Ostiense, and jumping on the metro there - or by gettting of at Trastevere and riding the #8 or #3 trams into the center of town... but for first-timers, I'd keep it simple. The train ENDS at Termini so get off there.

This does "idiot-proof" the routing, but it also eats time. Best case, going all the way to Termini adds at least 15 minutes to your travel time, most days more like 20 - 30 minutes. In a short one day visit, that's a lot of time. It's very easy to do getting off at Ostiense and getting on the metro, and much quicker.

• 2 months later...

If my first stop from Port will be the Coliseum, would you suggest going toer Termini and hopping on the metro? or take another route?

I saw that you can avoid some cogestion by getting off at Ostiense, then hopping the metro. I looked at the metro map and did not see where Ostiense was located.

We will be there in late April if that makes any changes to the recommendation.

And on the way back to port, we will be near the Vatican. I am looking at the timetables for the St Pietro station to C.cchia, right? It looked like 1721 got there at 1820 with a fall back of 1821 to 1922 (we leave port at 8PM)

If my first stop from Port will be the Coliseum, would you suggest going toer Termini and hopping on the metro? or take another route?

I saw that you can avoid some cogestion by getting off at Ostiense, then hopping the metro. I looked at the metro map and did not see where Ostiense was located.

We will be there in late April if that makes any changes to the recommendation.

And on the way back to port, we will be near the Vatican. I am looking at the timetables for the St Pietro station to C.cchia, right? It looked like 1721 got there at 1820 with a fall back of 1821 to 1922 (we leave port at 8PM)

If you want to go to the Colosseum first, you will get off the train at Ostiense (the name of the train station), then walk to the adjacent metro station, which has a different name, Pyramide. You'll then take the B or Blue metro line (it's the only line there...) 2 stops to the Colosseo metro stop. (Look at the wall maps to orient yourself & make sure you hop on the metro in the right direction.)

In the afternoon, I would consider the 18:21 train to be too late to be a fallback. Most ships want you back onboard a half hour before sailing, and once you get to Civitavecchia you still have to walk to the shuttle stop/port entrance (a few blocks), wait for a shuttle, then drive back to your ship.

If you want to go to the Colosseum first, you will get off the train at Ostiense (the name of the train station), then walk to the adjacent metro station, which has a different name, Pyramide. You'll then take the B or Blue metro line (it's the only line there...) 2 stops to the Colosseo metro stop. (Look at the wall maps to orient yourself & make sure you hop on the metro in the right direction.)

Cynthia is, as usual, correct. Subways in Rome tell you the direction by the last stop on the line, when going from Pyramide to Colosseo, you're going in the direction of Rebibbia. You get on at Pyramide, pass Circo Massimo, then get off at the next stop, Colosseo.

Here's a new question for Ron (or anyone, for that matter): we will be heading from Civitavecchia to Rome the day before we sail, so we have no real time constraints. In fact, given that we will be flying in that morning, checking into our hotel and then taking the train to Rome, I figure that it will be at least noon by the time we get to the city. Most in our group of eight have been to Rome a few times, so we will spend the day wandering and enjoying the sites. We are likely, however, going to start with the Colesseum (sp), for the two who haven't been to Rome. We will likely be heading back to Civitavecchia very late as we want to have dinner in Rome, most likely in the Trastevere area, after a two-hour walking tour that begins at 6:00 p.m. At this point we have Rome Cabs lined up to take us back, but I was curious about taking the train late at night - good idea or not?

[We are, by the way, staying at Civitavecchia so we will just be able to sleep in a little the next morning before going right to the ship. It just seemed easier than schlepping all the luggage into Rome, and then having to get up earlier to get to the dock the next day.]

we will be heading from Civitavecchia to Rome the day before we sail, so we have no real time constraints. In fact, given that we will be flying in that morning, checking into our hotel and then taking the train to Rome, I figure that it will be at least noon by the time we get to the city.

Wow, that's a lot of back and forth. Is there any way that only some of the group could do the trip to Civitavecchia and back while the others go directly to Rome from the airport?

At this point we have Rome Cabs lined up to take us back, but I was curious about taking the train late at night - good idea or not?

I'd have no problem taking the train back late in the evening, especially with such a large group. From Trastevere you can take the tram to Stazione Trastevere and get on there. On a Saturday night, for example, the last train from Trastevere to Civitavecchia is at 11:30, so you'll have plenty of time for dinner.

Wow, that's a lot of back and forth. Is there any way that only some of the group could do the trip to Civitavecchia and back while the others go directly to Rome from the airport?

Nice idea, but with all the luggage, it likely won't work. We already have the hotel shuttle coming to get all of us. It will also give us a chance to get cleaned up a bit.

I'd have no problem taking the train back late in the evening, especially with such a large group. From Trastevere you can take the tram to Stazione Trastevere and get on there. On a Saturday night, for example, the last train from Trastevere to Civitavecchia is at 11:30, so you'll have plenty of time for dinner.

Once at the train station in Civitavecchia, how easy would it be to get a cab so that we can get back to the hotel?

After you see the Colosseo, then I would ride the 85 or 850 bus from the Colosseo (standing on the opposite side of the street from the Colosseo - the bus stop just in front of the metro stop you came out of). The 85 or 850 bus will take you onto the Via Corso. It is the 4th stop after you get on... or the 2nd stop AFTER you get on the Via Corso - you will have gone through the HUGE Piazza Venezia and then onto the narrow Via Corso...

At this 2nd Stop on the Corso, you get off the bus (push the bell if no one else has... but I'm sure other folks will be jumping off)... then from here you can go 500 north (right as you get of the bus) to the Trevi Fountain --- or 500 south (left as get off the bus) to the Pantheon.

I'd do Pantheon, then Trevi, then Spanish Steps (northwest from Trevi, follow the crowds and signs - take a Google Map print out with you!), and then from the Spanish Steps ride the Metro Line A to Ottaviano.

Jump off at Ottaviano and walk south towards the walls in from of you. To go to the Museums, head right (west) on the walls and follow the walls until you get to the entrance on Viale Vaticano. To go to St. Peter's Square from Ottaviano, just keep heading south. Signage, crowds, and the white statues in on the Colonade in front of you will let you know you're headed the right way.

You'll really have to watch your time - and may need to eliminate some parts of your route. The advantage of going this way is that San Pietro train station is one of the last stops heading out-of-town back to Civitavecchia - so you get a little more time on the back end. There is usually (CHECK YOUR DATE'S SCHEDULES) a 16:29 train, and 16:59 train that will get you back.

If you do the Museums, DO take the shortcut into the Basilica (The LEFT SIDE doors as you walk away from the "Last Judgement" wall), then exit out, see the Basilica interior... then exit the Basilica and head southeast towards the San Pietro train station - about a 10-12 minute walk from the Basilica. If I was planning to catch the 16:29, I'd be leaving the Basilica NO LATER than 16:00... Plan on 2-2.5 hours from the time you enter the Museums to "race" through and into the Basilica and run through it! So I'd want to be at the Vatican Museum entrance probably no later than 1 PM - 1:30 PM.

I've done this with folks a many times.. you have to be alert of your time. I'd use the 16:29 train from San Pietro as my primary... and count on the 16:59 as my emergency train.. I haven't "lost" anyone yet - They all made the boat!!!! But with thr "train delays" of Italy, I'd give myself some wiggle room.

Once you validate your ticket in the machines in Civitavecchia you should not validate again. One time should cover it... but if you CANNOT see the print-out well, when you go through your first metro it will "scan" and often validate your BIRG ticket... just depends on how the validation machine worked before you get on the train at Civitavecchia. I'd suggest if you cannot SEE a validation, then stick it in a bus validation (or metro) once you get to Rome... To use the metro, you have to insert your BIRG ticket into the turnstiles.

For help on riding the metro, click this link: The Metro in Rome . For assistance on the buses, Riding buses in Romeand for arrivng at Termini Station, see Termini Station – Arriving by Train

Hope that helps!!!

Ron

flying into Ciampino,

would I be able get a BIRG ticket from here thro to Civitavecchia

thanks for any info

flying into Ciampino, would I be able get a BIRG ticket from here thro to Civitavecchia

I'm sure someone who has done this will respond with accurate information; all I can tell you is that I've never been able to buy any kind of combination ticket at Fiumicino. The newstand at the train station at Fiumicino only sells daily tickets; I couldn't even buy a weekly or multi day ticket there the last couple of times I tried.

If you are only using the ticket to go to Civitavecchia, and will not be using it to travel in Rome, you'll be almost as well off to simply buy the one way ticket to Civitavecchia and pay separately for your transport from Ciampino to Termini.

You can take the train from Ciampino to Termini, but to get to the train station requires a ten minute (approximately) walk or a bus ride.

There is an easier option: a direct bus from the terminal at Ciampino to Termini. It's run by Terravision and costs 8 Euro one way. The trip takes 40 minutes (faster than the walk or bus to the train option) and you can read about it here (and buy your ticket on line, if you want): http://www.terravision.eu/rome_ciampino.html

Thank you so much roninrome and euro cruiser!

From the thread and we don't want to miss the boat. Say we arrive Rome at 9:50am and leave 15:09 train (arrive 16:17, train #3260). Let me sumarize this: If we want to see Colosseum, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, then San Pietro/Vatican, the question is, can we do all these in 5 hours? hence I have my dh, son 14 and daughter 12? Note: we may have to eat lunch on the bus and must walk FAST.

First, take FR5 train (BIRG) into Ostiense stn, transfer to Metro line B (Blue line), 2 stops to Colosseum; leave at 10:40am;

Second, take bus #85 or #850 to via del Corso, on left to the Pantheon or on right to see Trevi Fountain; then walk up 1 o'clock (north east) to see Spanish Steps (Spagna); leave at 1pm;

Third, take metro line A (red line) to Ottaviano staion, then walk south to St. Pietro/Vatican leave leave at 2:30pm;

Fourth, to exit, walk south to St. Pietro station (FR5 line) back to Civitavecchia. Take train #3260 at 15:09 hrs.

If we miss the 15:09 train, we may have to take train #12244 at 15:39. This will leave us extra half an hour in St. Pietro if needed be.

Your advise is very important. Thank you so much.:)

Say we arrive Rome at 9:50am and leave 15:09 train (arrive 16:17, train #3260). Let me sumarize this: If we want to see Colosseum, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, then San Pietro/Vatican, the question is, can we do all these in 5 hours? hence I have my dh, son 14 and daughter 12? Note: we may have to eat lunch on the bus and must walk FAST.

First, take FR5 train (BIRG) into Ostiense stn, transfer to Metro line B (Blue line), 2 stops to Colosseum; leave at 10:40am;

If your train arrives at Ostiense at 9:50, you probably won't actually be inside the Colosseum until 10:30, by the time you walk to the metro, wait for a train, wait on line for your ticket, etc., so this might be kind of tight.

Second, take bus #85 or #850 to via del Corso, on left to the Pantheon or on right to see Trevi Fountain; then walk up 1 o'clock (north east) to see Spanish Steps (Spagna); leave at 1pm;

This will work; another option is to take the #87 bus from the stop in front of the Colosseo metro to Largo Argentina, then walk a couple of blocks north to the Pantheon, then contine to Trevi, etc. I like to have several bus options ready, then I jump on the first one that shows up.

Third, take metro line A (red line) to Ottaviano staion, then walk south to St. Pietro/Vatican leave leave at 2:30pm;

This is probably the fastest and most direct route via public transit, but it does require a bit of a hike from the Ottaviano station to Piazza San Pietro.

Fourth, to exit, walk south to St. Pietro station (FR5 line) back to Civitavecchia. Take train #3260 at 15:09 hrs.

If we miss the 15:09 train, we may have to take train #12244 at 15:39. This will leave us extra half an hour in St. Pietro if needed be.

Looks like a plan to me! Have a great time in Rome.

From the thread and we don't want to miss the boat. Say we arrive Rome at 9:50am and leave 15:09 train (arrive 16:17, train #3260). Let me sumarize this: If we want to see Colosseum, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, then San Pietro/Vatican, the question is, can we do all these in 5 hours? hence I have my dh, son 14 and daughter 12? Note: we may have to eat lunch on the bus and must walk FAST.

Wow - busy day. Honestly, and I've only been in Rome for a few days, this sounds pretty ambitious, especially with teenagers. Granted places like the Spanish Steps and the Trevi will be relatively quick stops, but you'll want to spend at least a little time at the other places. Looking at the time of year you are traveling, you'll also need to factor in time for waiting in lines and finding your way around (getting lost), not to mention just wandering around if you see something that catches your eye. It will also be hot, so you'll want to be able to stop for beverages, gelato, etc. Also, and this is just a hot button for me, but I can't imagine being in Rome and not stopping for pizza :)

Just a couple of words of advice to what will obviously be a tightly planned day.

First, skip the Spanish Steps. Really, they're just steps. The Pantheon and Trevi are so much more worthwhile (particularly the Pantheon....:)) Also, it might be just as fast to walk from the Colosseum to either Trevi or the Pantheon as to take the bus.

Second, what exactly do you plan to do at the Vatican? You need to be very practical. In the amount of time you have, you won't be able to see much if anything in the Museum, but if your hearts are set on the Sistine chapel, you will just have to rocket through. If you take the "shortcut" from the Sistine into St Peters, you may be able to take just a peek inside, then see the colonnade, then leave for the train station.

If your plan is to do the Vatican museum first, the Cipro metro station is closer to the Museum entrance than the Ottaviano station.

Archived