MS Amsterdam

tkwbear

I am thinking about booking a long cruise on this ship. After having heating and a/c problems on the Veendam and Maasdam, I am wondering about what kind of shape this ship is in.

If you have sailed the Amsterdam in the last 6-12 months, I would appreciate hearing your experiences, good and bad.

I am thinking about booking a long cruise on this ship. After having heating and a/c problems on the Veendam and Maasdam, I am wondering about what kind of shape this ship is in.

If you have sailed the Amsterdam in the last 6-12 months, I would appreciate hearing your experiences, good and bad.

on sept 27 i'm going to be on it for 66 days, I hope it doesn't have any ac problems. Ask again dec 2, probably be able to tell you how often the paint the ship.

Anything i have heard about has been good, not the biggiest ship around. but nice decor and good food. at this time is all i can say about it.

We spent 38 nites on the Amsterdam in April/09 & can report that the ship was in great condition. No plumbing problems, no heating problems, no AC problems. Public areas were in good repair & furnishings/soft goods in our cabin were clean & fresh. In fact, the ship was in better shape than I expected. I feared things may be a tad rundown since the Amsterdam was scheduled for a quick dry-dock shortly after our cruise. But not at all - all was well.

The only bad news was that we were in Code Red lock-down for nearly 2 weeks (out of 5 weeks). Suspected cause of noro-virus was later deemed to be cyclospora cayetanensis. In other words, lots of folks were sick. But that wouldn't make us hesitate to sail the Amsterdam again. It can proudly hold its own as a HAL co-flagship.

tkwbear, some of the CC members have photos here if you want to see a few cabin shots: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Amsterdam/index.html From what I see of the photos she looks good to me:)

The Amsterdam is a fabulous ship! I was aboard her in May 2009 and was very pleased with her condition and the quality of her crew. I have been on all the R class ships, 3 of the S class ships, 3 of the Vistas, and the Eurodam. I have long loved the R class ships, and consider them my favorite type of HAL vessel. My favorite ship is still the Rotterdam, but the Amsterdam gives the Rotterdam a strong run for that first place position.

Go cruise on her and have a wonderfull time!

We have 45 days total on the Amsterdam, the most recent was in May of this year. She had just come out of drydock and sparkled. All systems were working fine for us. Our longest cruise on her was 21 days, around South America and Antarctica. We would sail on her anywhere, anytime.

Have a great cruise! :)

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I booked the 63 day South Pacific voyage, roundtrip out of LA on 9/30. It sounds like I'll be seeing some of you then!

Be sure and check the "Roll-Call" to get acquainted with many of us there! And WELCOME!

Anne

Just returned from 7-day AK cruise on 8/29. Heating/ac/ventilation in our midship Dolphin Deck cabin (1869) was superb - better and more sensitive than most hotels we have stayed in. One caveat - the air was very dry in the cabin, so bring lots of moisturizers.

Amy:)

• 5 months later...

Archived