Best Lobster on your own in Bar Harbor & can you purchase directly from fisherman...

World Gallery

My husband has heard somewhere that you can literally purchase lobster directly from the fisherman still on their boats and have them boil it right there for you. Has anyone heard of this?

We plan to do Bar Harbor on our own, things that are within walking distance from the pier. Any must sees that are within walking distance? Any great lobster restaurants close by in case we can't do my husband's plan?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

If you can get up to the Trenton Lobster Pound, it is just off of Desert Island (Bar Harbor is on Desert Island) that is the number one place to go for lobster. I think what you may have heard about is the lobster pounds, which is the closest you can get to a lobsterman cooking it for you right off his boat. Don't know if there are more right on Desert Island, but you could ask around.

The Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound is our absolute favorite place to get lobster anywhere. It's lobster "in the rough", cooked in huge pots outside over a wood fire. We plan to go there for lobster when we are in Bar Harbor on Oct 10. (You can get there on the Island Explorer, Bar Harbor's free bus service.) Sorry, don't know the answer to your question about buying lobsters off the boat.

The Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound is our absolute favorite place to get lobster anywhere. It's lobster "in the rough", cooked in huge pots outside over a wood fire. We plan to go there for lobster when we are in Bar Harbor on Oct 10. (You can get there on the Island Explorer, Bar Harbor's free bus service.) Sorry, don't know the answer to your question about buying lobsters off the boat.

Thank you! Do you know how far it is to get there using the Island Explorer? We do plan to the Oli's Trolley but that is only a 2 1/2 hour tour so we will plan to do this afterward. Also, where do you catch the Island Explorer?

We visited Bar Harbor on a May repositioning cruise on the MS Maasdam last May. Places to dine on lobster abound. They even have lobster rolls at McDonalds.:eek: We ate at Geddys which is adjacent the to the city park where your tender drops you off. We had little neck clams, fresh fried clams and lobster rolls. They do serve lobsters. If you get a lobster ask for a hard shell as the soft shell just molted and looks large but the lobster has not fully grown into the shell. More meat in a hardshell.

The lobsters are very fresh no matter where you get them. We will return in a few weeks as we are taking the Maasdam repositioning cruise back to Florida from Montreal. Not sure if there are any "lobster pounds" within easy walking distance of downtown Bar Harbor.

Beautiful area enjoy.

World Gallery- I just looked up information on-line for the Island Explorer and Trenton St. Lobster Pound and learned that they both close for the season on Columbus Day (Oct 12). I saw on one of your posts that your cruise is later in October. Sorry it's not going to work out for you. Consider eating at one of the restaurants in Bar Harbor that serves lobster - there are many. Tina

hey Bruce! Just wanted to say HI....Larry and I are leaving on the 10th on Princess and looking forward to some good lobster and clam chowdah!

Joan

RunningDeer, How are you and the Chief? Wish we could be in a same port with you guys. Will give a Weng Weng toast to you both on our October 10 sailaway.

Bruce & Susan

A Weng Weng is a famous traditional cocktail offered on Holland America ships. Vodka, Scotch, Bourbon, Rum, Gin in 1/4 shots with some sweet and sour and I believe soda water. Actually mighty tasty. If the bartender has a heavy hand.....could be lethal:eek:

A Weng Weng is a famous traditional cocktail offered on Holland America ships. Vodka, Scotch, Bourbon, Rum, Gin in 1/4 shots with some sweet and sour and I believe soda water. Actually mighty tasty. If the bartender has a heavy hand.....could be lethal:eek:

And how far into your cruise do you come to???:D Have a great trip....sorry we won't be crossing paths....

Joan

Archived