What has been your best Princess cruise and why?

choochella

It was my first Princess cruise. I'd been on ships a hand full of times (overnight deck passage Brindisi-Patras '78; 2 night Aegean '68) but never a contemporary cruise ship. I'd avoided cruising due to various mistaken biases. DW had wanted to cruise... My mother then wanted to take a cruise, my dad having passed a year or two earlier. So I made the arrangements and went... with low expectations.

San Juan to Acapulco is a fine itinerary, the canal is interesting, the ship was great. Objectively, the cabins were OK but not perfect (veranda triple, fold down bunk rather than pullman).

I'd never been on such a big beautiful ship though and our crew was superb. The friendliest steward we've ever had with equally great dining servers. They were happy, wife was happy... everyone was happy - to the core.

While we've had many great cruises, probably the best was our cruise from Tahiti to Hawaii on the Pacific Princess II. The ports were more exotic, we met some fantastic friends on this cruise, and it was our 35th anniversary present to each other. The small ship atmosphere along with the itinerary, new friends, and our attitude made this the most romantic cruise we've ever taken.

This was the also first cruise where we've gotten to interact with the CD, Sammi Baker, on a personal basis.

Other cruises were special in their own way, often depending on where we were in our lives at the time.

Our best cruise was a B2B on the Tahitian Princess in Tahiti. The islands are breathtakingly beautiful, the small ship became like home and we had a great CC group! Everything about that cruise was perfect. We're hoping to have a similar experience on the Pacific in 2011. I'm so glad Princess is cruising in Tahiti again!

(My avatar is from that trip!)

Our favorite cruise was the maiden transatlantic voyage on the Emerald Princess. We flew to Venice, sailed through the Med for four days and then 5 days across the Atlantic. There were so man spectacular things that made this trip special. It was my husband's first trip to Europe, sailing out of Venice - what a sight!! - great friends we met through these boards, fantastic tours, five days of glass perfect seas to cross the Atlantic. But most important: my husband decided after 17 days on the Emerald that he no longer wanted to go on a cruise that was less than 10 days. Whoo hoo!!!! So, for our next one we are doing 7 days with a group of virgin cruisers on the Emerald and when they all go home, we'll go across the street and get on the Ruby for 10 more days. Maybe not 17 all together, but it's 17 days on a ship!!!! Can't wait.

Kari

NYC to Bermuda aboard the old Pacific Princess. The tiny ship had the best crew and dining room and a yacht like atmosphere. Bermuda was the perfect destination and being in Hamilton on the 4th of July, the local authorities treated us to a fireworks display right overhead as we sat on deck with a drink!!

08/08/09 Golden Princess to Alaska was by far the best Princess cruise we have been on. Best room, best food, best ship, best service. The Dawn would be a second for great ports/itinerary, followed by the Diamond (2005) which had poorest service and activities of the three.

In my top couple are the Star Princess SA/Antarctica, Grand Princess Northern TA and the old Island Princess Alaska. All these had fantastic scenery with lots of snow and ice. I've since been back to Alaska numerous times, hope to repeat the Transatlantic, and am scheduled for a long South America (minus the Antarctica portion) again in 2010.

In 2003 we sailed B2B on the original Royal Princess from Athens to Cape Town and Cape Town to Santiago. The Cape Town to Santiago included Antarctica. Of the 70 cruises we have been on, the Antarctica sailing was the best. It was truly amazing to experience the pristine and cold, desolate beauty of Antarctica. Like one of the previous posters said, you should experience Antarctica before they close it to cruise ships.

Yes, they are planning on limiting future access to Antarctica by cruise ship. Sad, but apparently necessary to save the environment.

Second best cruise was the Holy Land cruise on the Pacific in 9/08 and 3rd bes was LA to Sydney on the Sapphire in 2004.

Our 1st ever cruise was a Caribbean cruise on the old Caribe (Commodore Cruise Line) and because this was our 1st cruise, it will always be special to us because it was our 1st plus Gary Puckett and the Union Gap were the entertainment which made us feel like young teens again.

Out of my seven Princess Cruises my favorite would have to be 10-day Panama Canal on the Coral Princess. Not only my favorite cruise, but my favorite all-time vacation. Everything was perfect; the weather, the ship, the crew, the ports, our excursions. The Coral isn't too big like the Emerald (Lovely ship, but too many people), but has most of the bells & whistles of the bigger ships. Our fellow passengers were great as well. I have never seen better behaved children in my life, and yes they were "real" kids, not Stepford Children, but well mannered and polite.

I think a big reason why we enjoyed this trip so much was we got very involved in many pool side activities. We also went to the Island Night party for the first time and had a blast, and to the Captains Circle party as well (We usually pass). There was a member of the entertainment staff, a young man from Canada named Tyson that encouraged us to participate in the friendliest way, and he played a huge part in making this such a memorable cruise.

I/ve answered this one before so I'll do it again.

August 2006 Took 12 going on 13 year old on her first cruise. She had to fly from Boise to Denver by her self so Grandma could buy her a few things. How about a whole new wardrobe!

Denver to Anchorage, long flight, overnight then train to Whittier next morning. Great ride and scenery. Sorta raining in Whittier when we got there, surprise. Stayed at the Inn at Whittier 2 nights. Rained the whole time. Did PWS tour boat never got out of the bay raining too hard. We loved every minuet of it.

Boarded the Coral Princess as soon as they would let us on. After lunch and touring ship about 5pm we told her there was somebody we wanted to see on other side of ship. We had a covered mini and the one we were going to was directly across ship.

Knocked on the door the door opened and it was a complete stranger??? We had the wrong cabin wanted the one next door. Apologized and banged on the next door. Door opened and it was her uncle and aunt, youngest son and wife. Surprise surprise.

Loved every moment of that cruise. Watched Grand daughter eyes when she saw her first production show-wow, formal dinners every night she loved them, Eagles, Whales and on and on.

Not the longest, not the most expensive but it's my favorite.

Grand dad

Close? Close the Antarctica cruise forever or for the season? I hope to go there on a cruise in the next few years!
Unless you go next year, you won't go on a cruise unless you book one of the expedition-style cruises. Yes, they will not allow the big cruise ships to sail anywhere near Antarctica so if you want to go, book now. "They" being the 12 nations of the Antarctic Treaty which works to preserve this pristine continent.

I have two favorite Princess cruises for different reasons. One is the last cruise of the old Royal Princess from Manaus to Rome (she went from Rome to Southampton where she was turned over to P&O but that wasn't considered the last "cruise"), 21 days to three continents. Awesome. Great group of people on this cruise.

My other favorite was in April/May 2008 from Sydney to LA. Terrific cruise, again great CC roll call group.

My two most spectacular cruises have been on HAL. Once on their "Top of the World" cruise where we did the Norwegian fjords, north to Spitzbergen, and then even further north where we actually sailed into the polar ice cap. Amazing experience. My other spectacular cruise was this past January to Antarctica. We followed the expedition boats and went much further into the fjords and to areas that the larger Princess ship couldn't go (which is, of course, why we booked on HAL.) We had the crew from Palmer Station, one of the three US stations on Antarctica, onboard the ship for a day, talking about living there, the research they're doing, etc. Incredible.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I didn't know there would be such a rapid response! We generally sail the Caribbean mainly because we just love warm weather, and great beaches. Plus, monetarily, it's cheaper. But, one of these days, we are going to splurge and sail another itinerary.

I would love to sail the Med, or even to Tahiti. It seems like there are alot of CC'ers that either loved the warm weather of Tahiti, or the natural beauty of either Alaska or Antarctica.

So, decisions, decisions....:rolleyes:

I have loved every one since the first to Alaska.

I didn't think anything would top the Panama Canal from LA to Ft Lauderdale on the Sun Princess in 2003. I love that ship, I think it is a nice size and liked cruising for 15 days.

Always enjoy the Caribbean.

In 2007 the Baltic on the Star became my all time favorite, the ports were awesome and the highlights.

Then in 2008 the Med on the Emerald beat out the Baltic, amazing ports and even though the Emerald is big I really enjoyed it.

Now I anxiously await my Holy Land cruise on the Royal coming in Nov. Always dreamed of going to the Holy Land and look forward to seeing what it is like to be on a very small ship.

I may just have a new favorite as it seems my most recent cruise is the one I like the best.

Hard to choose just one best; I have two:

The original Island Princess Mediterranean cruise, for the wonderful onboard ambiance on this particular sailing, and the fantastic ports.

Tied with:

A cruise and ship that shall remain nameless because it's a "best" for -- hmm, how shall I put this -- for living up to the "Love Boat" motto. . . .

I'm just curious to get everyone's opinion on what was your best Princess cruise and why? Was it because it was your first, or maybe the itinerary or the ship? We have only sailed the Caribbean, but would love to explore other itineraries.

Hands down the Panama Canal. Because of the itinery. Island Princess

Did Alaska in June of this year, and it was great also, but still our fav is Panama...done it 2x. and hoping to go again in Feb 2010:eek:

TA from Southampton to NYC on the Sea Princess. Great itinerary, great ship and great new friends were met.

Very close second was Baltic cruise, two days in St. Petersburg were great and Gdansk was a very pleasant surprise. Again, great CC friends were met on board this one as well.

Archived