RIO -Advice wanted please!

dundalkspur

Can anyone advise us please on hotels and transfers to hotels in RIO .

After reading some reviews some experienced advice would be gratefully recieved.

A regular metered taxi costs no more than about R$30 to go from the pier to any of the hotels in Ipanema. Less for Copacabana hotels, a little more for those in Leblon. Taxis at the pier are relatively safe, easy to hail, and not expensive. Use the meter. Do not agree to a set price unless it is R$30 or less. Write down the name of your hotel on a piece of paper together with the address to avoid miscommunications.

Given current the rate of exchange, luxury hotels in Rio will run close to USD 250/300 per night. Among the nicest luxury hotels are the Marriott, Sofitel (both in Copacabana), Caesar Park (Ipanema), Fasano (Ipanema) Marina Suites (Leblon). The last two will run considerably more than USD 300 per night.

Less expensive options are the Copacabana Othon Palace, Ipanema Sol, Ipanema Mar and Praia Ipanema - all around 4+ star category.

Could you tell us what price range of hotels ( do you prefer large American chains or boutique hotels?)?

How long will you be staying and when?

Transfers from where to where

?

Kim

Hi Kim

We are thinking of coming in March for 3-4 days prior to HAM cruise.Prefer large 5 star chains or boutique near eateries and shopping .Beach not important to us as we prefer safety !:confused:

Can anyone advise us please on hotels and transfers to hotels in RIO. After reading some reviews some experienced advice would be gratefully recieved.
We stayed at the Ipanema Plaza Hotel for 2 nites pre-cruise in March/09. I think it would meet all your criteria. It's part of the Golden Tulip organization but it has retained its own identity as a boutique property. It's in a safe neighborhood in the centre of Ipanema near shopping, restaurants & beaches.

We pre-arranged airport & cruise transfers, as well as Rio sightseeing, with a local company. We used Rio Plus & thought they were excellent. Hope you enjoy Rio as much as we did. :cool::cool:

Sorry I couldn´t get back here yesterday...crazy day.

Some recommendations:

I really like the Santa Teresa neighborhood of Rio...it has lots of personality. Kind of a "hippie-chic" , bohemian vibe. It has been compared to Montmartre in Paris. Lots of neat boutique hotels and restaurants , trams , and artists´studios. It is easy to get to the main tourist sites such as Corcovado (Christ Statue ) and Sugar Loaf. It is not really near the beach ( approx. 15 min drive). Hotels in this area are rather pricey , but really , really neat IMHO. The nicest hotels are Hotel Santa Teresa , Rio 180 (I have reservations for Oct . with my mom!) and Mama Ruisa. Rio 180 is the cheaper of the 3.

I also like the Leblon and Ipanema areas-good restaurants and shopping , the beach...

Owl61 mentioned Marina All Suites in Leblon , which has an excellent reputation. It is expensive...

Fasano in Ipanema is also quite the "hot spot"-the Fasano name in Brazil is associated with some of the finest restaurants/hotels in SP and now Rio. It is where the "Brazilian Elite " hang out. Praia Ipanema is good and cheaper. I´ve also heard positive remarks about the Portinari in this area.

I´ve stayed at the Windsor Hotels (there are several) in Rio ...they are cheaper , clean and perfectly nice. I´ve also stayed at the Sheraton (there are 2 ) and the InterContinental ...all great , but a little out of the way perhaps.

If you want a truly "Rio " experience , check out the Copacabana Palace . It is amazing! The Cipriani restaurant is one of Rio´s best and it has a fabulous pool...It is where all the international movie stars , rock stars , dignataries stay...(and prices reflect that fact!).

Check out the following hotel sites for photos and descriptions of some of the above mentioned hotels....

http://www.i-escape.com (I love this site!)

http://www.splendia.com

Owl16 gave great tips about the cabs and most of these hotels have transfer service available.

I´d be pleased to answer any further questions.

Kim

We stayed at the Ipanema Plaza Hotel for 2 nites pre-cruise in March/09. I think it would meet all your criteria. It's part of the Golden Tulip organization but it has retained its own identity as a boutique property. It's in a safe neighborhood in the centre of Ipanema near shopping, restaurants & beaches.

We pre-arranged airport & cruise transfers, as well as Rio sightseeing, with a local company. We used Rio Plus & thought they were excellent. Hope you enjoy Rio as much as we did. :cool::cool:

Hi would love to have more information about Rio Plus, would you happen to have their web address or any other way we can contact them We're looking for the same thing you did. ..... thanks so much judy

Hi would love to have more information about Rio Plus, would you happen to have their web address or any other way we can contact them We're looking for the same thing you did. ..... thanks so much judy
Hi travelinggrammy! I’m very happy to give you info about RioPlus. It’s a small company owned by 2 women with a long history in the travel industry in Brazil. Most of our e-mail correspondence was handled by Leticia & our guide was Valeria. Both were professional, organized and a lot of fun. Valeria was there to meet us at GIG airport when we arrived & she transferred us to the Ipanema Plaza (which we had arranged directly). Next day we did Rio sightseeing with her. We were fortunate to have good weather & visited Christ Redeemer; Tijuca Forest; Sugarloaf; Sao Bento Monastery; Copa/Ipanema Beaches; Flamenco Park; Sambodromo; Metropolitan Cathedral; Selaron Stairway; and Colombo Tea House. Finally on cruise day, she picked us up at the hotel & transferred us to the cruise port. We had a wonderful time with RioPlus & recommend them highly. All their contact info & details are on their website. Have fun! :):)

http://www.rioplus.net/html/about_us.html

hi travelinggrammy! I’m very happy to give you info about rioplus. It’s a small company owned by 2 women with a long history in the travel industry in brazil. Most of our e-mail correspondence was handled by leticia & our guide was valeria. Both were professional, organized and a lot of fun. Valeria was there to meet us at gig airport when we arrived & she transferred us to the ipanema plaza (which we had arranged directly). Next day we did rio sightseeing with her. We were fortunate to have good weather & visited christ redeemer; tijuca forest; sugarloaf; sao bento monastery; copa/ipanema beaches; flamenco park; sambodromo; metropolitan cathedral; selaron stairway; and colombo tea house. Finally on cruise day, she picked us up at the hotel & transferred us to the cruise port. We had a wonderful time with rioplus & recommend them highly. All their contact info & details are on their website. Have fun! :):)

mightyquinn thanks

so much for that information, since princess isn't offering any post cruise excursions, any information we can gather is most helpful, i think we'll probably disembark around 9a.m. And our flight doesn't leave until 11:30 p.m. So we would have plenty of time to see the main sights of rio. Just half of what you saw would be wonderful. Only problem is that there is four of us and all our luggage from the cruise keeping my fingers crossed.... While i check out their site. Judy (aka) travelinggrammy

http://www.rioplus.net/html/about_us.html

• 2 months later...

We booked the 5* boutique Hotel Santa Teresa in the Santa Teresa historical area of Rio which is in the hills and not on the beach.

Don't want the hustle bustle of the beach, though plan to dip our feet in Copacabana waters "for luck", we are told by our Brazilian friends.

We booked it on http://www.1800hotels.com and got a terrific rate of $100 USD per night!

We booked the 5* boutique Hotel Santa Teresa in the Santa Teresa historical area of Rio which is in the hills and not on the beach.

Don't want the hustle bustle of the beach, though plan to dip our feet in Copacabana waters "for luck", we are told by our Brazilian friends.

We booked it on www.1800hotels.com and got a terrific rate of $100 USD per night!

Wow. $100 per night is terrific. Web site shows min price during summer $314 incl tax.

I am travelling 29th March, coming back 6th April, and got the transfer to Othon Palace (143 euros the single room) and booked a transfer with Graylines Brazil, in shared van for about 14 euros. My main concern is now weather.

I don´t really know if end of march, beginning of april is good for Rio, or if I am going to have plenty of rainfall, storms and no sunshine. Is it a nice time to visit it?

I am travelling 29th March, coming back 6th April, and got the transfer to Othon Palace (143 euros the single room) and booked a transfer with Graylines Brazil, in shared van for about 14 euros. My main concern is now weather.

I don´t really know if end of march, beginning of april is good for Rio, or if I am going to have plenty of rainfall, storms and no sunshine. Is it a nice time to visit it?

The weather should be fine - summer ends March 21.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

March is excellent because the temperature will be a bit lower than the current average of 38C with a lot of humidit. March is month of water as we say here, but it rains only in the afternoon. Expect great days!

April is even better. No rains and the temp is average 27-30C.

Hi Lirio. I do appreciate your comment. However and despite the comments of other forum members like brazigirls and Owl61, that safety is not a concern if taking precautions, I am still a little bit affraid. Trying not to read O Globo-Rio in a daily basis :-)

We have points for Best Western so we are staying at the Augusto's Rio Copa Hotel on March 15th. Does anyone know about this hotel

Thanks Ontario Cruiser

Your best bet is to look it up on tripadvisor.com I think to see what the reviews are for the hotel. Are you doing this pre-cruise? What sights will you be trying to see? Copacabana is certainly more convenient for tourists than Ipanema, although we stayed in Ipanema and loved it, and it seemed quieter and perhaps a bit safer. But traffic is a big consideration and Copa is definitely more central.

Keltic,

you should indeed be afraid. I leave here and I am affraid. But I have quite a normal life. Be safe by not going out with valuable things like jewlery and big cameras. You can take private tours, as it is safer than browsing around by your own. There is plenty of recommnendations in CC boards.

And for all that are coming here I ask two favors:

1 - Do not give money in the streets for begars.

2 - Do not go on favelas (slums) tours. There is no glamour on misery. This is a kind of misery exploitation.

Enjoy your time in Rio and in Brazil.

In my case I don´t have any intention in going to the favelas. I don´t think I had any trouble, since I would probably wander around with locals as I have a Carioca cousin. He can´t come to pick me up to the airport as he is working, so I will get a private transfer. My worst fear is the way from the airport either to Othon Palace or Fassano, along the Lihna Vermelha as I know there´s a potential risk along this road to any car, bus and so on.

I don´t mind being pickpocketed, or even stollen. I don´t mind someone takes a camara from me, mobile or whatsoever. I am affraid of violence, lost bullets, and being fired in the middle of somewhere. I know the risk is minimal using always private transfers, and not walking along, but still there´s a risk.

I have decided to accept it, because life is risk, and overflying the cristo rendentor has always been like a dream. I close my eyes and I can see exhuberance everywhere. I have fascinating images of music, colours, sun, and fun. I think the city has been blessed by God, unfortunately nothing is a perfect paradise.

Keltic - Please go back for a moment and re-read the many positive and passionate posts about Rio on the thread entitled "Rio for a first timer..." http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=950666

You had on that thread become comfortable with the idea of visiting this marvelous city and had wisely chosen to discount the preposterously negative posts of a couple of "experts" on Rio who had spent only a few hours there on a bus tour. Therefore, I urge you not to lose your courage or your enthusiasm for your impending adventure in Rio.

When you are circling the head of Cristo Redentor in your helicopter, so close that you feel you can reach out and touch the face of the statue, you will not be thinking about any dangers in Rio (unless the helicopter crashes, of course). :) Ah, as you say, life is risk... Have a wonderful visit to the marvelous city. Cheers, Fred

Did you go on the helicopter?. How did you fell Freddie?. I guess there are few places on earth where staying up there makes one feel as touching the heaven. I have seen the experience on TV and I couldn't resist feeling particularly moved. Specially when it approaches the face of the Cristo. I had the choice of Sugar Loaf and Corcovado, and when I knew about the helicopter the choice was clear. I keep my spirits up, and emotion intact.

I had the booking on the Othon and checked Fassano. It seems a pretty high step up. About three times, and I suppose it's not worth it.

Keltic - We did take a helicopter tour, the 30-minute one. It was the highlight (pun only slightly intended) of our visit to Rio. In addition to the nearly magical experience of being so close to the statue, other views of Rio from the air give one a much better sense of the magnificent setting of the city and the lovely sweeping curves of the beaches than one can get from land or even from the tops of Corcovado and Sugar Loaf.

There is a very good description an helicopter ride in Rio de Janeiro in the Antarctica board. A member made a very detailed review of a trip from Rio de Janeiro to Antarctica. It was posted by Caramelo.

Keltic, lost bullets are not usual in the tourist areas. Also there are a huge program of controlling violence in the favelas.

In tourist areas the crime is more focused on pickpocketing as far as you have something to be stolen.

have a very nice stay in Rio.

Archived