10 Best Things To Do In New York

jimbo23

We have four days in New York staying at the Helmsley on east 42nd street on the back of a transatlantic on the new Norwegian Jewel in September.

What do you all recommend as a must do for our top ten in the big apple?

Jim and Margaret

The best way to see NYC is by walking around it. Pick a neighborhood daily and explore - Soho, Tribeca, Little Italy, Chinatown, Chelsea, Meat Packing District, Village, East Village, Upper West side, Upper East Side and midtown.

Select the tourist attractions that appeal to you - Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, The Cloisters, Ground Zero and of course our museums - Mus of Mod Art (MOMA), Met. Musuem of Art, Guggenheim, Whitney. Look at a Time Out New York to see what exhibitions are at which museum so you can select a few. You can't possibly see them all.

From your hotel, you'll be close to Grand Central Station which is beautiful, the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building.

Buy a weekly metro card that will give you unlimited rides on the buses and subways. On 42nd St. there are buses that run east and west which is very handy. Your nearest subway will be Grand Central on 42nd Street and Lexington Ave.

Jane

I love New York City! Ive been there a couple times in the last 18 months, and I cant wait to go back. A few Must Visits are

Chinatown- Its a little wild, so you might now want to do it your first day! All kinds of shops, if you are interested in a knockoff purse or watch this is your place :)

Macy's on 34th- If you like to shop this a must!! A just incredible store, its HUGE!!!!!!!!!!

Little Italy- If you like Italian Food youll love it. Lots of great restaurants, most with patio dining. One restaurant we really liked was La Mela, a great family style italian restaurant

Statue of Liberty- When we went we were not able to go inside or to the island, but we took an AWESOME harbor tour, it was very interesting and a great deal at i think 10 a person. We got some amazing pictures of the Skyline, Brooklyn Bridge, and the Statue.

Yankee Stadium- We had a great time at a Yankees Game. Its amazing to be somewhere with so much baseball history!!!! A lot better than Jacobs Field here in cleveland, and a WHOLE different atmosphere!

Honestly, no matter what you do you will have a BLAST!!!! Bring lots of available money, your best walking shoes and be safe. We always felt really safe wherever we were, but stick to major streets and such! Dont be afraid of the subway, its a very fast and cheap way to get around Make sure you get a hot dog!!!!

Jim and Margaret,

If I'm thinking of the right hotel, you'l be on East 42nd Street between 3rd and 2nd Ave's, (closer to 3rd) and right next to a GAP store. Tell me the address (should be 200 something East 42nd St.). If that's it, then I can tell you that from the outside, it's a perfectly nice hotel, though I've never walked inside to see the lobby or the rooms.

Nauticaz24 gave you some good suggestions, but I'll put in my $.02 on two points:

1. Chinatown is not anymore wild than any other part of the city, so don't be scared off. If you're interested in supporting the importing of stolen copyright handbags and watches, then yes, Chinatown has it's abundance of shops selling illegal goods, though you can find African's selling the same goods on many street corners throughout the city.

2. I don't think a visit to Macy's is a must for shopping. Yes, I guess it's worth a look if you've never been in a huge store, but as far as the merchandise and service goes, there's nothing to rave about. It's busy, pushy and crowded and getting help is almost impossible. Oh and beware of pickpocks, Macy's is their favorite place. If you want a huge NY dept store that has stuff for everyone at all price levels, I think a trip to Bloomingdales is better. It's just about as big as Macy's but it's a nicer shopping experience. IMHO. When the Queen Mother visited here, she went to Bloomingdales....if it's good enough for her............ <g>!

If you're looking for anything specific, let me know and I'd be happy to try and steer you to the right shop or area. For better women's, men's and kid's clothing, Sak's is the best all around and it's right next to Rockefeller Center and St. Patricks Cathedral - two places you'll probably want to see.

Oh another "must see" would be Central Park. A nice way into the park is to go to Central Park South (59th Street and 5th Ave) near the famous Plaza Hotel and then walk into the park from there. Walk north to about 72nd Street and visit Strawberry Fields (tribute to John Lennon), Bethesda Fountain and have lunch at the boathouse. Walking north, you can walk to 82nd Street and exit the park on 5th Ave and you'll be right behind the Metropolitan Musuem of Art, a definite "must see". I wouldn't wander in the park north of about 90th Street (by the horse stables). There are no attractions there. Skip eating at Tavern on the Green unless you enjoying eating overpriced mediocre food and being surrounded by other tourists. However, it is a very pretty place to relax with a drink on a nice day.

If you'd like some restaurant recommendation, let me know your tastes, budget and styles and I'll do my best.

I was in London last month and with the pound vs dollar ratio, NY will be a big bargain to you. Enjoy!

Jane

Thanks for the advice Jane.It is the right location,next to the daily news building I believe.We like to explore and see the sights on our own.The open top bus sounds a good way to get your bearings.Where would we catch one?

We would also like to see a show when we get there,I believe you can get tickets at times square ?

Thanks again ,the board is coming up trumps again with good practical advice.

Jim and Margaret

The bus tours operate from a number of locations - I see vendors hawking tours in Times Square all the time. A good website for tourists is the city's tourist site: www.nycvisit.com. You can link to tourist attractions and restaurants. Since you're in the Grand Central area, I would visit the station - it is a great place, even if you're not getting on a train. From Grand Central, you can take the Lexington Ave. subway line (the 4, 5, 6) downtown to City Hall/Brooklyn Bridge, which gives you good access to Chinatown (just north) and Lower Manhattan (just south). I generally travel by subway in Manhattan - it's faster than other transportation methods, unless I have luggage in tow (in which case I take a cab). Four a four-day stay, you may wantr to look into purchasing a MetroCard, which gives you access to buses and subways (www.http://mta.info/metrocard/index.html).

A few "out of the way" destinations - if you're interested in immigration, the Lower East Side Tenement Museum shows what life was like in the tenements from 1870-1920. An earlier post mentioned the Cloisters, which is in the north end of Manhattan - a fantastic art museum. Right next to the cruise ship docks is the Intrepid Museum - a retired aircraft carrier with exhibits, a submarine, and one of the Concorde planes.

If you want to see a show at lower costs and don't have a particular show in mind, go to the TKTS booth in Duffy Square (47th and Broadway). They have same-day reduced rates for shows.

I'd be happy to help with other questions.

Kathy,

I agree. The Lower East Side Tenement Museum is an excellent suggestion and really shows how the pulse of this city was created. It's also in such a great neighborhood for food and shopping, so there's a few reasons to go there!

Thanks for the reminder.

Jane

Hi Folks ~

We will be sailing out of Cape Liberty in July....for a back to back on the Enchantment. We're staying at the Hyatt Regency Jersey City. Is anyone familiar with this hotel?

We will have a few hours on the day we fly in....to see some sights. Also, the day cruise #1 returns to port....before we begin cruise #2....we will have about 6-7 hours to sightsee.

With this limited time, what advice can you offer?

I am traveling with my DH and two children (9 & 12)...so the Statue of Liberty is very exciting for us on this trip. I have seen some of the tours available ....in a helicopter...for 2.5 minutes, etc... (that seems so funny to me!)

How close is any transportation to this hotel?

Thank you for any thoughts or comments.... :)

You might want to consider seeing a Broadway show. You can either get tickets in advance or go to the half price ticket booth in Times Square. They sell tickets to performances that are not sold out that day for half price.

Another museum to consider is the Museum of Natural History- my favorite.

Depending on the time you have and the days you will be in the city, this is a great way to tour Greenwich Village or Chelsea Market.

http://www.foodsofny.com/

It is so much more about the history of the area than the food. I've done both tours and liked them both. I though Greenwich Village was a bit better but was fascinated with the whole Chelsea Market.

The TKTS booth in Times Square is crowded, so plan on being in line a while, once again depending on the timing of your trip. But it is a great way to get good tickets at a much reduced rate if you don't have a particular play that's a must see. If there is a play I especially want to see, I buy tickets ahead of time and then try to pick up another the day of if we have time.

If you like to horseback ride, the riding in Central Park is something to be experienced. If you can ride at an intermediate level, you are sent out on your own to traverse the streets of the city to actually get to the park. (small map is given before they set you off) But it is a great way to see the park!

I too, like Bloomingdale's better than Macy's. Canal street can put you into sensory overload but luckily Little Italy is right around the corner!

Have fun, there is so much to do, you just have to choose your priorities.

Hey all, I'll save you $36.50 per person.......<G>

Delicious food specialties are served from:

A classic Northern Italian-French Pasticceria (Est. 1973)

(could be a lot of places, I don't know which one they're thinking of)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The most unique cheese shop in New York City (Est. 1940)

MURRAY'S ON BLEEKER STREET

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

An authentic Italian specialty food shop (Est. 1900)

DON'T RECALL NAME, BUT IT'S ACROSS THE THE STREET FROM MURRAY'S.

IT'S CALLED "SOMEBEODY'S" PORK STORE

OR THEY COULD BE REFERRING TO OTTOMANELLI'S - NY'S OLDEST ITALIAN BUTCHER SHOP. ALSO LOCATED ON BLEEKER STREET. (crnr Jones St.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The oldest chocolate shop New York (Est. 1923)

LI-LAC CHOCOLATE (my favorite) ON CHRISTOPHER STREET (near Hudson St)

A REAL New York style pizzeria (Est. 1974)

ORIGINAL RAY'S ON 6TH AVE AND 11TH STREET

A Middle Eastern-Turkish eatery (Est. 1978)

MAMOUN'S ON MACDOUGAL STREET (near 3rd St.)

A Southern Italian pastry shop (Est. 1972)

MANY TO CHOOSE FROM....

COULD BE ROCCO'S ON BLEEKER (near Murray's)

COULD BE VENIERO'S ON 11TH STREET AND 1ST AVE (east village)

Just about all these places are located on Bleeker Street between 6th and 7th Ave's. It's a lovely street to wander and there's a fantastic ice-cream store that I highly recommend called "Cones" and one of the oldest herbs/oils shops in NYC called "Aphrodesia".

The tour might be fun for the NYC trivia you'll learn, but if you're just interested in the great eats, here's the basic tour. <g>

Jane (native nyc girl)

This tour. in my opinion is really not worth is (the other one might be). Every single one of these places is in the Chelsea Market (and where I do my grocery shopping). Yes, it's an unusual and fantastic place that IMO shouldn't be missed, but you really don't need a guide to walk you through retail shops, do you? Just take a cab or a bus to 15th Street and 9th Ave and walk into the Chelsea Market. You should also walk around the neighborhood, lots of great shops, bars and restaurants. Oh and that funky smell is well..........the wholsale meat distributers. Hey, it IS the MEAT packing district? :-)

Delicious food specialties are served from:

Amy's Breads - an artisinal French bakery

Ronny Brook Dairy - a dairy farm’s store from the Hudson Valley

Sarabeth's Bakery - a gourmet American bakery

Lobster Place - wholesale/retail fish market

Buon Italia - a wholesale/retail Italian specialty food shop

Manhattan Fruit Exchange – Largest produce shop in NYC!

Goupil and DeCarlo - a French Patisserie

THEY LEFT OUT THE CHELSEA WINE VAULT, A TERRIFIC WINE SHOP WITH SOME UNUSUAL WINES AT FAIR PRICES. ALSO SOMETIMES ON A SAT. AFTERNOON, THEY HAVE FREE MUSIC AND TANGO LESSONS.

Jane

my best places?

I highly recommend the Statue of Liberty trip - go to both Liberty island and Ellis Island --- go early if you want to go up the statue - tour tickets sell out fast. But the ferry ride, walking around Liberty & Ellis islands, and the Ellis Island museum are fun even without the statue... the Park personnel give free tours of Liberty island - check in the info booth for times. Kids may not want to go up the statue anyway - lotta stairs, tight stairwell, lotta people...

Walk from Times Square up to Central Park on Broadway, wander around the park (stop at the Dairy for a map) - see Stuart Little's lake, Alice in Wonderland statue, Hans Christian Andersen statue (ooh - bring copies of their books on the trip!), and so many fun things... there is a clock by the zoo that moves when it chimes...

pick a museum... any museum!

stop by the NY Library and visit the lions, bryant park also has free events going on - I think they have a website...

Depending on your feelings, Ground Zero is a worthwhile trip - it is not as emotionally overwhelming as it was the first year or so - construction has been ongoing - the subway there is now open - there is a beautiful mural and a marker showing where the original part of the station ends/starts... Stop by the church if they still have their displays...

got a little girl? The American Girl Store (with doll hospital, show, cafe, store . . . .) is close to Times Square....

Besides the TKTS booth, try stopping at the theatre itself - some offer 1/2 price students and other discounts ... depends on when you are going... tickets are VERY expensive nowadays... the shows we went to 2 weeks ago were running about $100 per tickets, no child price either!

September can be warm/humid during the day, but cools down at night..

how's that for a start?

oh - don't forget to get a tour of Grand Central Terminal (did you know they were going to put in a bowling alley many years ago? and one of the stair cases is shorter than the other??) Tours are free - check with the Times Square BID office. There is also a transit museum at Grand Central...

Hi,

We are going to be coming back on the NCL Crown on 7/31/05 and would like to spend the night in NY. (I have to get back to work so we can't spend more than one night). I'm having trouble figuring out where exactly the cruise port is and what hotels might work for us. There are 4 of us flying out of LGA and we need to arrange transportation to the ship, to a hotel after and then back to LGA.

I am hoping that the ship will sail past the Statue of Liberty. Does anyone know if it will? If not then we would like to do a harbor tour so that we can see it. We would also like to possibly see ground zero and anything else that might be doable in the area but the Statue is at the top of the list. Can anyone suggest a hotel and/or transportation? I tried calling LGA Ground Transportation but didn't get too far with them. The cruise line wanted $60 per person for transfers but I can't help thinking that with 4 of us we can do better than $240 to get to the ship and back to the airport. A post cruise room was over $500. Again, I think we can do better. We don't need anything fancy just a nice clean room that is not too far from the airport. Am I wrong? I know this is a longshot but are there any hotels that have shuttles to both?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dee

I'm assuming NCL sails from the Passenger Ship Terminal and not from one of the NJ terminals (I know NCL currently sails from the PST, but wasn't sure if they were one of the lines planning to move). The terminal is on the West Side of Manhattan between 50th-56th streets. As you depart, the Statue of Liberty will be to starbard (right); on return, it will be to port (left). If you're only interested in seeing the statue from the water, rather than going to the island and entering the pedestal (the inside of the statue is closed to visitors), the view from Crown will probably be enough. You will also see Ellis Island.

If you're interested in Downtown Manhattan, there is a Millennium, a Marriott, and an Embassy Suites. Ground Zero can be a moving experience (there are temporary memorials), but you should be prepared for seeing a construction site. Other downtown sites worth visiting are Battery Park (the tip of Manhattan), South Street Seaport, and Fraunces Tavern (where Washington gave his farewell address to his troops). If you're more interested in Midtown sites (Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, etc.), you're better off staying in Midtown; there's a large variety of hotels available, just a short drive from the PST.

I'm not aware of any hotel shuttles available (not to say there aren't any....) You may want to take a look at the city tourism site regarding transportation options - it's www.nycvisit.com.

Hope this helps!

Dee,

You DON'T want a room close to the airport, trust me. You want to be in the city (Manhattan).

You should be able to get a taxi at the pier to take you to a hotel in Manhattan. I think your worst case scenerio would be if there are no taxi's at the pier, then send someone to the street to get into one and then have the driver drive around to pick you up. A taxi ride anyplace in NYC won't cost you more than $15.00 and will most likely be in the $8. - $10. range. Though taxi's are allowed to take up to 4 people, with all your luggage, you'll probably need 2 cabs. The next morning, a taxi to the airport will probably run about $30. to LGA.

Your ship will dock on the west side and to get to the airport the next morning, it'll be easiest for you (in terms of not fighting traffic) to leave from the east side. So, I'd recommend staying in a hotel that's in midtown in the east 30's - 50's. Murray Hill (east 30's) has lots of nice hotels and you'll be near the mid-town tunnel, which is the way out of Manhattan to the airports.

Hope this is helpful.

Jane

Bring those boots! We got lots of snow.

I'm SO glad we don't leave for South America until next weekend. Were it this weekend, I guess we'd be rather delayed! :-(

Fingers crossed that all is okay for next weekend!

Jane

They always say you're in trouble when The Weather Channel comes to your town - and today they were camped out right in front of the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, which is where I'll be staying for the week beginning Monday. (A great hotel, if you can get a deal for it....) Even if you don't stay at the Marriott, they have a revolving restaurant and lounge at the top that is worth a visit - good views of Midtown and the river. At any rate, I'll be prepared to slog my way around Midtown in the slush!

If you only have a few hours when you're in New Jersey, try taking the kids to the Liberty Science Center. It's on a beautiful spot and my kids loved it when they were your kids' ages.

For those of you considering a trip to the Statue of Liberty, you can now purchase tickets online in advance so that you don't have to wait in lines. You are also able to visit the museum in the base of the statue with the same ticket. Included in your harbor tour is Ellis Island. I highly recommend this tour and I also recommend getting the advance tickets...we saw several folks who had only the tickets to tour the island and could not enter the statue.

Boy, you New Yorkers are sure helpful- I guess we can't believe everything we read!!! Now that I have kind of complimented you- I need some help.:)

My husband is going to a seminar in NY in April and I am going to tag along. Neither one of us has ever been there. He will be meeting at 307 7th Ave. They are recommending the Hotel Pennsylvania, Southgate, or Sheraton. What are your thoughts on these hotels or do you have suggestions for others in the area. Also, I will be on my own from 8-5 everyday. Is there a lot of shopping, etc. to keep me occupied? would I be a fool to head out on my own on these bus tours? Which airport should we fly into? Oh my, I am so confused:confused: Thanks in advace for tolerating my questions.

Depending on the time you have and the days you will be in the city, this is a great way to tour Greenwich Village or Chelsea Market.

http://www.foodsofny.com/

It is so much more about the history of the area than the food. I've done both tours and liked them both. I though Greenwich Village was a bit better but was fascinated with the whole Chelsea Market.

OMG thank you so much for that link! We did the Greenwich village tour 2 summers ago and absolutely loved it. I had found out about it on a website but the link is no good anymore, and I wanted to take the Chelsea Market tour.

I highly recommend the Village tour, bring comfortable shoes, and a shopping bag for all the goodies you'll just HAVE to buy! (I still go back to the area regularly to shop for items I had on that tour 2 years ago!)

Archived