10 Best Things To Do In New York

jimbo23

My mother and I were in Ny a few weeks ago and we went on a private tour. It was GREAT and it was not expensive! Visit www.walkny.com

We did the historical Chinatown tour. The guide, James, was fabulous! :) :) We will prob be in NYC in the fall and will take another tour. Lisa

Thanks for the info! I guess we would want Midtown as far as a hotel goes. Any advice would be appreciated! I tried the link to the walkny site and it did not work. Sorry. Very interested though in maybe doing some kind of tour that is organized. Any info would be great!

Michelle

There is a thread on the Carnival board called "Hotels in New York," dating back a few months. GoinCruisin posted a very favorable review of the Park Central Hotel, 7th Avenue at 56th Street - a good location and reasonable rates (at least by New York standards). Web site is http://www.parkcentralny.com/. You can also check out the City Visitors' Bureau Website: www.nycvisit.com.

As for organized tours, there are a number of bus tours available; I've seen them leave from Times Square and the Empire State Building. There are a number of private tour operators that offer walking tours as well, like Big Onion Walking Tours.

Hope this helps - I'd be happy to answer other questions if I can!

Thanks Kathy. Gosh, I am finding out that I could spend hours looking at Hotels and Tour companies for our trip to NYC, and I thought planning our trip to Alaska was hard! I have found several tour companies I am interested in but as far as hotels go.....I guess I will continue to read the CC Boards, betterbidding.com, biddingfortravel.com, Hotwire, Priceline and such before I book anything. Even was thinking about booking a room in NJ and then doing a tour around NYC. Any thoughts on doing that? Is it worth the savings or do ya' just splurge and stay in NYC?

New York can be one of the most frustrating cities when it comes to room and board. If you were cruising in/out of Jersey City or flying in/out of Liberty Newark Airport, staying in Jersey might make sense. Otherwise, I'd try to get the best deal possible in Manhattan. Even up at our end of the Hudson (just south of Albany), we always comment about what a barrier the river is. There are ferries and the PATH train that make a Jersey stay possible, but there's something to be said for being able to drop things off in your hotel room, freshen up for dinner, etc. You really can't do that with a hotel in Jersey. (And I'm originally from Jersey!)

Thanks Kathy. Gosh, I am finding out that I could spend hours looking at Hotels and Tour companies for our trip to NYC, and I thought planning our trip to Alaska was hard! I have found several tour companies I am interested in but as far as hotels go.....I guess I will continue to read the CC Boards, betterbidding.com, biddingfortravel.com, Hotwire, Priceline and such before I book anything. Even was thinking about booking a room in NJ and then doing a tour around NYC. Any thoughts on doing that? Is it worth the savings or do ya' just splurge and stay in NYC?

NO NO NO!

Don't come to NY and stay in New Jersey. It's a PITA.

Park Central is an excellent location. Since I live here, I never stay in the hotels so can't comment, but it certainly looks like a very nice place.

DEfinitely book a walking tour. It's a great and fun way to see the city.

Jane

OK, I won't come to NYC and stay in Jersey!!! That is now out of the question. I ain't gonna' penny pinch!!! Looking at Priceline and Hotwire for some deals. I appreciate everyones help. Found some "tour" operators and some "helicopter" tours that looked great! Would also like to take a night tour of the city. That sounds like a blast!!! Hope everyone has a great day.

Michelle

Live in NY and just saw the Lion King on broadway. The show is beautiful. I was in tears at the end. It is truly a fabulous experience.

Our oldest son (turns 14 in 3 weeks) has seen 4 Broadway shows to date - Oklahoma, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Fiddler on the Roof (in that order). I think I was 25 before I saw my first Broadway show! I strongly recommend going to the TKTS booth in Duffy Square (47th and Broadway) to get tickets for a show, if you don't have a particular show in mind to reserve in advance. There are a number of really good shows available, both Broadway and off-Broadway, depending on the night of the week. I went to see "Stomp" half-price a few years ago in the East Village - what a great performance!

I've stayed at at least 30 different hotels in Manhattan so start asking about them and I'll answer as best I can. Also, I was in the hotel business for just under 10 years so I know what to look for.

Yes there is a lot downtown and in the Financial District ( Brooklyn Bridge, Battery Park, Frances Tavern, NYSE, Federal Building, Wall Street, yadda, yadda) and it is my favorite part of Manhattan but most tourists come to visit Midtown.

• 5 months later...

Hi-I have an opp to go to NY & stay Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers-its only for 2 days & 2 nites w/alot of travel time, but have always wanted to go

dont want to pass on the opportunity. How is the location of the hotel? How safe is it to walk @ Central Park during the daytime for a woman by herself? Any restaurant recommendations @ the Sheraton? I have always dreamed of seeing NY, but with only 2 days-what are the MUST sees for sis & I. Thanks much, Liz

My wife and I just stayed at the Sheraton on 7th Avenue at 53rd Street three nights -- this past September 24th, 25th & 26th. If this is the same hotel you're staying at, it is a perfect location!! You can catch the double-decker bus directly across the street. Central Park is just a few blocks north and perfectly safe to walk to. Times Square is just 10 short blocks directly south down 7th Avenue -- where you can buy discount tickets to Broadway shows the same day. You can also take a bus or subway train directly down 7th Avenue to Battery Park to catch the ferry to the Statue of Liberty Island and Ellis Island. Rockefeller Center is just a few blocks from the hotel. Good restaurants in all directions. Fifth Avenue and the highend shops and St. Patrick's Cathedral all within easy walking distance of the hotel.

We strongly recommend the hop on and hop off double decker buses -- you can take one down to Battery Park (for the Statue of Liberty, etc) - then get back on to see more of Manhattan. Another stop is near Little Italy and Chinatown for dining and shopping. Another stop is near the Empire State Building. For one price you can get on and off as many times as you wish all day.

Have Fun!!!!!! Gene

Lizzy,

I just wrote up a small restaurant list in the thread here asking for restaurants w/ jazz. The OP went on to ask for regular (non music restaurants). So have a look on that thread.

I'd be happy to suggest others to you if you give me an idea of what you're looking for....or not looking for....in terms of cuisine, ambience, location, price, etc.

Central Park is perfectly safe during the daylight hours. Do stay away from desolate, densely & heavily wooded area's though.

Jane

Thanks for the great info Gene & Jane-we are def going to do the walking tour mentioned in this thread & will try some of the rest mentioned. Heres a stupid question-we are going in the middle of Jan-I know it will be cold and prob snowing(& I have never been in snow :)-if its a "normal" jan-do NYers still walk everywhere??-are the sidewalk walkable etc. Please forgive my ignorance!! Thanks, Liz

I haven't visited New York City during or shortly after any snowstorm, but I spent a memorable New Year's Eve walking all over NYC -- it was very cold but no snow. I suspect that New Yorker's are out walking regardless of the weather, unless it's the middle of a blizzard. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!! gene

Lizzy - I spend a week in NYC every January for work (18 years now). I've spent weeks with no snow, others slogging through the drifts. Yes, walking is in order - you just have to walk around some of the piles deposited by the plows if it snows. It's not bad. If it does snow, walking will probably be easier than any other form of transportation. Not every January is snowy, but it probably will be cold. The Sheraton is a great location, and it's easy to get to Central Park, Rockefeller Center, and Times Square on foot. The Empire State Building is a bit of a walk (you're going from 7th and 53rd to 5th and 34th), but the lines to go up to the observation deck aren't too long in January and if it's a clear day, it's well worth it. Enjoy your trip!

Liz,

Yup, we walk in the snow too!

I wear shearling lined flat boots for casual daytime and I have high heeled water repellant gortex boots for going out in the evening.

If you happen to hit snow while you're here, make sure you make it to Central Park and bring your camera. It's awesome!

Jane

Hi-I have an opp to go to NY & stay Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers-its only for 2 days & 2 nites w/alot of travel time, but have always wanted to go

dont want to pass on the opportunity. How is the location of the hotel? How safe is it to walk @ Central Park during the daytime for a woman by herself? Any restaurant recommendations @ the Sheraton? I have always dreamed of seeing NY, but with only 2 days-what are the MUST sees for sis & I. Thanks much, Liz

Great location on Seventh Avenue (there is also a Sheraton catty-corner to this one on Seventh Avenue). It is not in Times Square but a very short walk to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Fifth Avenue and tons of other things.

• 1 year later...

Archived