10 Best Things To Do In New York

jimbo23

Karen - I haven't stayed at Southgate, but folks I know that have stayed there were happy with it. It's very convenient to your husband's meeting place. The Sheraton is farther away (around 50th Street I think - your husband's meeting looks to be between 27th and 28th) but it's a good hotel. I've seen less-than-stellar reviews of the Hotel Pennsylvania. Do be prepared for some "sticker shock" when it comes to both food and lodging in NYC - this past weekend, we ended up spending over $150 for a family of five to have dinner at a chain restaurant!

On your own...you're a short walk from Macy's "mother ship" at 34th Street for shopping, and the Empire State Building is right across the street from Macy's. (Just took our kids to ESB on Saturday, in fact; it was about 1/2 hour wait to go to the top.) The bus tours should be fine on your own, and they give you a good overview of the city. You can get a tour right by the ESB, or at Times Square, among other places.

Hope this helps - I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

To Boo's mom and anyone else travelling with children- A few other ideas are Madame Tussaud's Wax Musuem (touristy but fun), FAO Schwarz flagship store,going to the top of the Empire State Building (can you still do that?), Central Park Zoo (Bronx Zoo if you have more time). Some fun restaurants with the kids are Jekyll and Hyde and Mars 2112 (overpriced, but the kids will have a good time!). Have fun!

Ive stayed at Hotel Pennsylvania a couple of times, its not the cleanest or nicest place, but is one of the cheapest ones in town. We stay there because we arent in the room much anyways, just need a place to crash. If you plan on being in the room alot, stay elsewhere :)

Also, if you are down in area the South Street Seaport is a nice place to visit and the wait for the tkst for that day's preformance is very short if at all as everyone always goes to the one near Times Square.

Chinatown and Ittle Italy converge around Mott Street. We love Di Nico's for Itialian food, it hasd increible lunch specials that are really inexpensive. Our former Mayor, R. Guilani was always seen eating there.

For jewelry go to 47th street, much cheaper than it is in the carbbean, watches and designer peices are discounted. Also the place for diamonds of quality.

Hope that helps a little. We live around 1 hr north of the city and try to go down as often as we can.

Thanks to all of you for the info! I've been looking at New York websites all day and it is just too much for my midwestern mind to grasp!! I did book the Southgate as I will probably be hanging at the hotel quite a bit. The rates weren't quite as shocking as I expected. (sheraton was alot more) Also, which airport should we fly into? We will be flying out of Milwaukee and it appears the rates are very close for Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark. Is one more convenient than the others?

I really should check what ships are in port that week and hop on a cruise:) Maybe just the Staten Island ferry will have to do.

<I really should check what ships are in port that week and hop on a cruise:) >

The Staten Island Ferry is probably the best deal in town for a boat trip, but you might also want to consider one of the Circle Line tours. There's one that cruises around Manhattan (3 hours, $28) and others that are more limited - plus a speedboat tour. The tours leave from Pier 83 at 42nd Street, and there are also tours that leave from downtown.

Afraid I'm not too much help when it comes to flying into NYC; I'm a train person when going to NYC. Kennedy now has the AirTrain, which conects with the Long Island Railroad, which takes you into Penn Station. Newark also has train connections to NJ Transit and Amtrak. (NJ Transit will take you to Penn Station.) The City's Web site has information about taxi fares at http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml.

Hope this helps!

Your best bet would be to take an Air Tran flight to Laguardia. Would probably be cheaper than JFK. Laguardia is also closer to Manhattan, and the cab fare is 10-15 cheaper than JFK. If i remember correctly its 45$ to anywhere in Manhattan from JFK, you can usually get to the city for around 30 for LGA

2. I don't think a visit to Macy's is a must for shopping. Yes, I guess it's worth a look if you've never been in a huge store, but as far as the merchandise and service goes, there's nothing to rave about. It's busy, pushy and crowded and getting help is almost impossible. Oh and beware of pickpocks, Macy's is their favorite place. If you want a huge NY dept store that has stuff for everyone at all price levels, I think a trip to Bloomingdales is better. It's just about as big as Macy's but it's a nicer shopping experience. IMHO. When the Queen Mother visited here, she went to Bloomingdales....if it's good enough for her............ <g>!Jane

Question for you Jane. Do you happen to know what times of year Bloomies would have their big seasonal clearance sales? My and GF are thinking about going later in the year, and were curious to this, wed like to buy a bunch of clothes at a bargain

Also, what about the Swissotel?? I can possibly stay there for free (with Perq points we get at work) Is it a nice place? Also, are there a lot of shops around there? How far is Bloomies??

Thanks for all of your insight :)

Bloomies and Macy's have sales every week.....there really is no off week. Merchandise gets marked down after so many weeks on the selling floor, markdowns use to be down once a month, but no longer....it is done almost every week on some merchandise in the store.

• 1 month later...

Listen to Jane 110. She has some excellence ideas.

I',m from NC and a group of ladies(4) go every year. We stay at the Edison hotel

reasonable priced. Joseph the bellman is great about getting cabs for us. With our luggage and all to LGA is 32.00 plus tip.

My husband and I stayed here when we cruised out of NY. Don't pay for those transfers. Midtown to the dock is not very far.

A couple of the ladies used the open bus for a tour and got frustrated and quit

for 34.00 each they could have paid cab to go everywhere and cheaper by subway. A lot of this you can walk.

Don't forget my favorite stores also is the Diamond District. 47th and fifth.

Love to shop for jewelry.

Also if you go to Ground Zero check out Century 21 for shopping wonderful

place. Everything for everybody.

JJ

Hotel, shmotel -- I'll just shtay in the shtreet (Dave Barry Goes To NYC)

The Miami Herald ^ | 6-2-2002 | Dave Barry

So we went to New York City for some urban excitement, which began when we saw our hotel. To avoid hurt feelings, I will call it by a made-up name, ''The Hotel Shpennsylvania.'' It's in midtown Shmanhattan, across the street from Shmadison Square Garden.

The Hotel Shpennsylvania was apparently built around the time that North America became a separate continent. I am told that, at one time, it was quite elegant. Of course, I am also told that, at one time, Elizabeth Taylor was a virgin.

Our first whiff of the Hotel Shpennsylvania experience came when we entered the lobby, which is furnished in a functional yet practical style, consisting of: a floor. There is more seating provided on the lunar surface than in the lobby of the Hotel Shpennsylvania. This leaves plenty of room to stand, which is what we did for quite a while, in a check-in line approximately the length of the Great Wall of China, but not moving as fast. If you have a loved one who mysteriously disappeared years ago and has not been heard from since, you should consider the possibility that this person is simply attempting to check in to the Hotel Shpennsylvania.

The good news was, we finally got a room. The bad news was, it was room 436. If you ever get a chance to stay in this room, I advise you to say: ''Thanks, but I'd prefer a Dumpster, if there's one available.'' I say this because room 436 is a very Spartan. I use the word ''Spartan'' not only in the sense of ''austere,'' but also in the sense of ``last renovated in 500 B.C.''

The walls, ceiling and floor appeared to be made of compressed grime; you got the feeling that if you took a damp cloth and started wiping the walls, you would wipe a hole right into the next room. These walls had no decoration of any kind, unless you count stains. One of the window shades had fallen down, revealing a sweeping panoramic view of: a wall. There were no chairs. There were two sad old beds with mattresses that felt like they were stuffed with dead squid, and a battered desk with a sign on it informing us -- I am not making this up -- that new furniture had been ordered for the room, but it had not arrived yet. This sign appeared to be several years old.

When you turned on the bathtub taps, what came out looked like some kind of weak soup. Maybe this was a hotel selling point (``All Rooms With Hot and Cold Running Broth!'').

Of course we should have marched down to the desk and demanded a new room, or even checked out. But we did not, for two solid reasons: (1) We didn't want to wait in the lobby line again, and (2) We are shmorons.

So instead we went out for the evening. Then, like characters in a bad horror movie who, against all common sense, go down into the dark basement, we returned to room 436.

We enjoyed a restful night until about 1 a.m., when the couple next door returned to their room. This couple was really hitting it off, if you know what I mean. I did not realize that it was physically possible for humans to hit it off that many times in one night. We could hear them clearly, because compressed grime does not block sound well, and they were hitting it off with intensity, passion, and what sounded like at least four head of cattle.

During those brief periods when the couple was resting, smoking cigarettes, watering the livestock, etc., we would listen to the people in the room on the other side, who apparently were in town for the International Convention of Loud Talkers With Insomnia. They were having a fine time, the kind of time when everything is so hilarious that everybody must repeat it at least four times.

A distinct aroma drifting through the grime made us wonder if they were using shmarijuana, but of course that would be illegal, even in New York. Whatever it was, it quieted them down for brief periods, during which the couple on the other side would rouse the steers again. Before we knew it, it was dawn. Other than that, we had a fine time in New York, a truly great city with some of the world's best museums, theaters, restaurants and shopping. Some day we will go back and actually see these things. On this trip, we mainly napped. When we do go back, we won't stay at the Hotel Shpennsylvania. We'll stay somewhere farther from the ''heart of the action.'' Such as Shmontana.

Anyone traveling to New York should check out the NY pass it is a great offer and if you are like me you can see a lot in a short time. We where in NY last June and the NY pass was great one day it was raining and the lines at MOMA was long but with the pass we were able to walk right in and not stand in the rain.

I did not read all the post so if this a duplicate post I'm sorry.

Newyorkpass.com check it out you will be glad. Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from my cruise and ready to plan for NYC. My tickets for Regis and Kelly and The View have arrived so I am ready to be "tourist" I hope my cheesehead doesn't give me away as an out-of-towner.

Question- Is there a source for a walking map of NYC? I will be staying at 371 7th Av and need to get to 7 Lincoln Square early the next morning after we arrive. I won't have time to get my bearings so I need to figure it out before I leave home. Mapquest and other sites only give me driving directions. What's the best way for me to get there? It's the Regis and Kelly studios, they say to go to West 67th and Columbus but the address is 7 Lincoln Square. Help Me!!

This is the first of several tourist questions that I will be firing off in the next few days--look out:D

I'm back from my cruise and ready to plan for NYC. My tickets for Regis and Kelly and The View have arrived so I am ready to be "tourist" I hope my cheesehead doesn't give me away as an out-of-towner.

Question- Is there a source for a walking map of NYC? I will be staying at 371 7th Av and need to get to 7 Lincoln Square early the next morning after we arrive. I won't have time to get my bearings so I need to figure it out before I leave home. Mapquest and other sites only give me driving directions. What's the best way for me to get there? It's the Regis and Kelly studios, they say to go to West 67th and Columbus but the address is 7 Lincoln Square. Help Me!!

This is the first of several tourist questions that I will be firing off in the next few days--look out:D

Hi Karen,

I was away in South America and hadn't visited this thread in a while, but I'm back. So I'll check in and answer all your questions to the best of my ability.

I'm not exactly sure what street 371 7th Ave is on. Does it say on any of your literature? I'm guessing that it's on about 31st or 32nd Street. Bear in mind that 5th Ave is the dividing line between east and west, so any avenue with a number higher than 5 is west and less than 5 is east. For example, 7th Ave is the west side and 3rd Ave is the east side. Easy.....until you get to the named avenues such as Lexington, Park, Madison which are all east. Columbus and Amsterdam are on the west side. "Ave of the America's" is the official name but anyone who's in NYC for more than a nano second will know it as 6th Ave. Broadway is the only street that is diagonal and is on the west side uptown but then crosses 5th Ave on 23rd Street where it then is located on the east side. BTW, that street is where the Flat Iron building is and it's one of the most photographed street corners and buildings in the world, so you should go have a look. It's within walking distance of your hotel.

I know that all of this sounds confusing, but take one look at a map (buy one in any book or tourist store or use a free subway map) and all this info will fall into place easily.

Most streets and avenue's only go one way. All the avenue's have buses than run on that ave. And to go crosstown (east or west) you just need to get to one of the major streets that is wider than the others and runs both ways. These are: 14th, 23rd, 34th, 42nd, 57th, 72nd, 86th. There is an east bound bus on 50th Street and a west bound bus on 49th Street.

Buy yourself an unlimited metro card that's good for a week so you can use it to hop on any bus or subway. You can buy them in supermarkets, bodega's or in the subway stations. I think they cost about $24.00.

Now to your question. 7 Lincoln Square is on the west side near Lincoln Center and IS located on Columbus Ave and 67th Street. It's very easy for you to get to from your hotel. You have 3 options:

1. Taxi - probably cost you about $6.00 from your hotel depending on the time of the morning. Between 8-9AM will be heaviest traffic and slowest.

2. Bus up 8th Ave til you get to 67th Street. I'm not sure if the bus will let you off on Central Park West (if so you'll have to walk one block west to Columbus Ave) or on Broadway (if so, you'll have to walk one block east to Columbus Ave). Ask your hotel conciege for the correct info.

3. There's a subway stop on 34th Street and 7th Ave. You would want to take the uptown train (I forget the number of the train - but if you ask for the uptown you'll be fine). I think the order of the stops would be: 34th, 42nd, 57th, 68th and then 72nd. (that's close enough, I don't ride the subway much) If you make a mistake and go downtown, get off at the first stop which will be either 28th (on the local) or 23rd (if you're on the express) and go upstairs, cross the platform and go to the uptown side.

I highly recommend that you pick up a Zagat Guide. They can be bought in any book store and often small stores, like liquor stores, have them at the front desk. It's small burgundy colored book that rates restaurants. It's a must have! Keep it with you as you're walking around and save yourself from a bad meal. We have the best food in the world here, but we also can have some of the worst. You can look things up by name of the restaurant, or you can look up restaurants by neighborhood, cuisine, etc.

Jane

Jane,

Thanks for the info- everyone has been so helpful that I can't believe New Yorkers have such a bad reputation!! :)

My hotel is at 371 7th Av @31 St. I'll have to study your post and get a map so I can understand the streets. Around here we just say "it's by Sams Club" or "It's by the Mall" that's all we need to know-- hahaha!

I think I'll take a cab my first morning and then try the subway or bus system. Any suggestions for a car service from LaGuardia?

I am so excited, this is a whole new adventure for me:D

Jane,

Thanks for the info- everyone has been so helpful that I can't believe New Yorkers have such a bad reputation!! :)

My hotel is at 371 7th Av @31 St. I'll have to study your post and get a map so I can understand the streets. Around here we just say "it's by Sams Club" or "It's by the Mall" that's all we need to know-- hahaha!

I think I'll take a cab my first morning and then try the subway or bus system. Any suggestions for a car service from LaGuardia?

NYer's have a bad reputation? Why?

To be honest, your hotel is sort of in no man's land.......that is, you're really not in any neighborhood and there's not much around you in terms of decent restaurants or shops. Macy's is on 34th and 7th, but after one visit there, you'll be done. There is a good thai restaurant a few blocks from your hotel, I think it's calles Sona Thai. It's inexpensive and low key. On 27th and 7th is FIT,(Fashion Inst. of Technology) so you'll see alot of students in the area. The FIT gallery has a nice costume exhibit going on right now and it's free. Just walk into any of the buildings and ask where it is if you don't see it from the street.

If you walk (or hop the bus) south along 7th Ave, once you get below 23rd Street, you'll be in Chelsea and everything will change. The streets between 23rd and 14th along 7th and 8th Ave's are filled with hundred's of great restaurants. French, Cuban, Indian, Italian, Seafood, etc etc. There are some some nice bars there too. (Just don't go into the Rawhide - it's a men's leather bar - though they'd probably stop you at the door & not let you in anyway.) 23rd Street is the main big street of Chelsea. Walk over to 9th Ave and when you get to 14th street, you'll see a big change too. That's the beginning of the Meat-Packing district. The Chelsea Market on 9th and 15th Street is a huge warehouse turned into many upscale food and wine markets and is a lot of fun to walk through. Some nice inexpensive places for a quick lunch. On the corner of 9th and 14th is MARKT, a great belgium/french bistro that's reasonably priced and open 24 hours a day. On 14th Street between 9th and 10th is the famous "Jeffrey's" boutique (Sat. Night Live often does spoofs) and there are some other trendy designer stores like Stella McCartney. The Bodum store is a great place for unique housewares. Walk along Little west 12th Street and Ganesvoort Streets too. The new Ganesvoort Hotel has a great rooftop bar for a drink and beautiful sunset. Washington Street is the home of the Hog's & Heffer's saloon, made famous by Tom Cruise in a film about it. If you keep walking south on Washington, you'll hit the West Village, a very charming section of the city to stroll in.

NY is a walking city so I hope we have good weather for you.

Yes, I understand you saying that at home you might name a landmark and everyone will know where something is. Well, it's no different here. If I told you "it's right by Lincoln Center" it has no more meaning for you than if you told me something was right by "Sam's Club". But to be honest, I'll keep Lincoln Center and you can keep Sam's Club. LOL!!!

Don't bother with a car service from La Guardia, just take a cab. You'll see a queue for the taxi's outside of baggage claim. They'll put on the meter and you pay about 15-20% tip. If someone comes up to you and asks if you want a taxi, they're breaking the law. Act like a NYer and walk right past them without so much as a look. Taxi drivers are not allowed to get out of their cars to solicit business. They get on the taxi line and await the next

passenger.

Jane

You should be able to hail a cab right outside the hotel; however, if there seems to be few available cabs, cross the street and stand in the taxi line on 7th Avenue outside Penn Station. Unless the weather's bad, there usually are plenty of taxis there.

If you opt for the subway, the Seventh Avenue line goes uptown to Lincoln Center. The 1 or 9 local lines stop there; the subway map is available online at http://mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm.

NYC's tourism site has online maps: http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=429. I agree with Jane that a guide like Zagat's would come in handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, even though I am from WV, I get to the City frequently, and love it:)

Some random thoughts:

City guide books and lots of touristy info are available at Penn Station and, I'm sure, at your hotel.

Do not be afraid to use the subway. As mentioned earlier, there are weekly passes. You can also get a daily unlimited ride metro card (also good on buses) for $7.

There is a visitor center in Times Square, and they have lots of good info, bathrooms, etc.

One good way to see the tip of Manhattan and the Statue is to go to the South Street Seaport and take the boat ride-something like an hour.

You should get reservations for the Empire State building ahead of time on line. Make sure to go to the simulated ride (can't remember the name, but it is a gas).

The Intrepid, which is next to the cruise ship terminal, is a fascinating place. Price is something like $12, but well worth it. Have to take bus or walk.

You can take a tour of Radio City music hall for about $10. (around the corner from the main entrance).

The Staten Island Ferry is indeed the best freebie around.

When I take relatives there, I usually start off with the Empire State building (as early as I can), then take the subway to Battery Park (near ground zero), walk to Federal Hall (I think that's the correct name) and Wall Street, then walk to the South Street Seaport, take a trip around the tip of Manahattan, walk to Little Italy (eat lunch on Mulberry Street), then off to Greenwich Village (another great lunch place), then subway and walk to Intrepid, then walk to Central Park, walk around there up to about 71st street (go to the pond and boat house area), and walk back down 5th Avenue (whew!). All the guidebooks will suggest places of interest in the various areas. Lunch prices are usually much much better than evening meals, so you might want to pig out at lunch.

If you are interested in musical instruments, there are several good stores on 48th street near Times Square (Manny's, Sam Ash) and Matt Uminov guitars on Bleeker Street in the village.

If you have time, you can walk from the Seaport area across the Brooklyn Bridge (go at least part way) for a different and gorgeous view of Manhattan.

And, of course, Yankee Stadium is a great place to see a game (particularly when they beat the red sox;) )

Have a great time in a great city.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

My Church Choir is heading to NYC in the summer of 2006. ...to so some mission work/leisure.

Can anyone recommend a place to stay...that is really, really inexpensive...and will hold a group of about 75?

Perhaps a place that will house a church group?

Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

I will be in NYC 10-29 thru 10-31. Can someone recommend a nice hotel close to all attractions downtown NYC? I see that they can range from $15 to as hight as $500 a night. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Michelle

Do you want "downtown" - or do you want "midtown"? The downtown attractions are fairly limited, mostly being the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, the World Trade Center memorial, Wall Street, and South Street Seaport. (I know there's more than that downtown, for the natives reading this:D) "Midtown" includes the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Broadway shows.... what do you want to see, and where will you be coming from/going to? Manhattan is fairly easy by public transportation.

Archived