Coverage for Emergency Evacuation

Orator

Thank you for your reply. Called insuremytrip and they recommended Medjet Assist and On Call. Medjet will cover multiple trips for a year and On Call will cover 6 months with an added charge for the remaining 6 months. I take at least 3 cruises a year so these options might be the best way to fill the gap.

Thank you for your reply. Called insuremytrip and they recommended Medjet Assist and On Call. Medjet will cover multiple trips for a year and On Call will cover 6 months with an added charge for the remaining 6 months. I take at least 3 cruises a year so these options might be the best way to fill the gap.

It sounds like you have a good plan in place.

We normally take 2 cruises a year and except for the next 2 and a few early on need to fly or drive to embarkation ports. Is there a limit on the amount per evacuation with the two companies you called? CruiseCare stops at $25,000. That's nothing if you're in parts of Europe and the Middle East.

Fblack has done a good job listing the sites for information on the available policies. You might want to check for further details. They do cover evacuations worldwide. The agent @insuremytrip told me that she uses Medjet Assist, but we all have different needs and budgets.

Anybody have any experience with Medex? They offer the best rate for my cruise (according to insuremytrip.com) but I am not familiar with them. I too am only concerned with medical evac. coverage as my health care covers other out-of-the-country emergencies 100% and my credit card provides me with some trip cancellation/baggage type insurance.

I just posted this on another thread:

I am just curious if anyone has ever asked their personal medical insurance carrier if they cover emergency medical transportation? I did ask mine one time (need to call again) and they said it is covered same as a ambulance. I specifically asked what if it is a helicopter to be taken from the ship and she said that is considered the same as an ambulance. Of course you still have to come up with the money up front.

FYI I just found (what appears to be) a very good deal for people looking primarily for medical evacuation coverage. Check out the Super Saver policy with Tru Travel (they are one that is on the insuremytrip.com website). For just $30 per person I was able to get $1,000,000 in medical evac. for a 10 night cruise and in addition small coverage for the typical travel insurance coverage: $1,000 per person in trip cancellation and trip interruption, $200/day travel delay, $10,000 medical (separate from evacuation), $600 baggage damage/theft, and $100 to cover expenses if baggage is delayed.

Not a great policy if your primary health insurance doesn't cover emergencies (as you could otherwise exceed the $10,000) or if it is a real expensive trip (as the $1,000 per person would only make a small dent in an expensive cruise). But if you are primarily looking to be protected in the case of medical evacuation, this is one to consider.

Archived