? for TA's- is a 4 day "cheapie" ES cruise worth your trouble?

gargoyle999

This is a question for TA's...is someone coming to you with a 4 day cruise in a 4A cabin worth your time or would you rather not even have it? I'm guessing since the rate is so low there is not much commission to be made. Yet you'd have to deal with any questions, price drops, etc.

I'm asking specifically about a cruise that would be Early Saver. Rate is lower to begin with, so less commission, plus you have to deal with any price drops even after final payment.

I'm sure you wouldn't not book it, a good experience can lead to other cruises being booked. But I'm curious if these shorter/cheaper cruises are something you would rather not deal with.

I would book it in a heartbeat! I became a travel agent because I love cruising, not to become a millionaire. So if I can help someone book that special trip, I am going to regardless of commission. I recently booked someone on a 4 day, and I personally watched the rates, and as soon as it dropped, I applied for it. It doesn't take long, and if made them so happy! Plus, word of mouth is the best advertiser!

Yes this cruise should be just as important as a 7 day or longer one!!

Most of the time, there are alot of people new to cruising who want to take a shorter one to "get their feet wet" and see if they like cruising. I was one such person in 2001. I took a three day to see if I would enjoy it. I end up falling in love with cruising.

My next one in March is a 5 day because this is my cabinmate first one and she didn't want a long cruise.

If I was that travel agent, I would look at the person booking as a long term customer. Let them take a short cruise, enjoy it so much that they want to book another one when they get back at home.

If that customer see that the travel agent offers good rates, cabins and extra perks, that customer will think of them first and suggest them to other people.

I normally love 10 days or longer for cruises and book such. I also send business my travel agent way because of her great customer service skills in providing the best cruise rates possible.

----------------

Now playing: Collection: Touch Me In The Morning - Betcha By Golly Wow

via FoxyTunes

we had a TA,

we decided to look on the internet for a quick 4 night, we found the majesty of the seas for 119 pp. So being loyal to him we called him to book it for us. We had booked with him for 3 years. During our conversation , 1st he said it was impossible for such cheap rate , then he stated that this was his lowest commission ever. needless to say we do not call him anymore!!!

we decided to look on the internet for a quick 4 night, we found the majesty of the seas for 119 pp. So being loyal to him we called him to book it for us. We had booked with him for 3 years. During our conversation , 1st he said it was impossible for such cheap rate , then he stated that this was his lowest commission ever. needless to say we do not call him anymore!!!

This is exactly what I'm getting at. At some point the rate is so low that the commission (even if no discount given) just isn't there to make it worth dealing with, especially with price drops given after final payment. Though my rate is higher at $199/pp! :) Still would not be much commission I'm sure.

I never turn away a booking. As someone mentioned, one good booking can lead to another, or a referral to someone else who is interested in booking. While it's true that sometimes, the rates are so low that the commission may only be $15-$25, I don't think I'd ever tell someone that their booking wasn't important enough to me.

My very first cruise was a 3-day Bahama sailing out of Florida. Over 30 years later, I am still with the same TA that I started out with! Why? My TA treats every customer with the same consideration. Over the years I have recommended clients to him -- one of which was my company president when he needed a flight to get to a conference.

No good TA will turn away business or a customer. As my TA says, on some transactions you work your a**** off and make very little. Then there are the repeat customers who keep sending more people your way because of how they were treated. My TA is honest and will tell what is or isn't a good deal even if it mean less commission. His aim is to keep his clients happy since you never know where your next client will come from.

If a TA feels that a 3 or 4 day sailing is beneath him/her there are plenty other TA's that are more than happy to book you.

MARAPRINCE

Well, I am not a TA but, here is my story. I booked an ES through carnival. Then, I saw an online TA advertise the same price and they would give me $100 OBC to transfer my booking to them. I did.

I watched for lower prices most every day. When I saw a lower price I emailed the TA. They processed my savings and then told me they had to lower the OBC they were giving me from $100 to $75. OK...The next time, this was after final payment, I saw a lower price I emailed the TA. They processed the second request and oh yes, now the OBC they were going to give me dropped to $50. I replied in an email when they told me this that I was beginning to realize there was no benefit to using a TA if they were going to keep reducing the OBC. I told them the ONLY reason I transferred my booking to them was for the OBC. Obviously I could figure out how to book a cruise AND watch for price drops. This last time I emailed the TA to tell about another price drop. I would have taken an upgrade and paid the $10 pp for it, but figured they were going to reduce the OBC by the last $50 since this price drop was $100 total, so I decided to stay in my original cabin and take OBC. I feel like they did not reduce the OBC this time because of my complaint or she forgot. I think I will just do it on my own for now on. I can immedidatly send something to carnival without having a go between. Also, I will wait unill my cruise to find out if I still do have any OBC from the TA or not.

Well, I am not a TA but, here is my story. I booked an ES through carnival. Then, I saw an online TA advertise the same price and they would give me $100 OBC to transfer my booking to them. I did.

I watched for lower prices most every day. When I saw a lower price I emailed the TA. They processed my savings and then told me they had to lower the OBC they were giving me from $100 to $75. OK...The next time, this was after final payment, I saw a lower price I emailed the TA. They processed the second request and oh yes, now the OBC they were going to give me dropped to $50. I replied in an email when they told me this that I was beginning to realize there was no benefit to using a TA if they were going to keep reducing the OBC. I told them the ONLY reason I transferred my booking to them was for the OBC. Obviously I could figure out how to book a cruise AND watch for price drops. This last time I emailed the TA to tell about another price drop. I would have taken an upgrade and paid the $10 pp for it, but figured they were going to reduce the OBC by the last $50 since this price drop was $100 total, so I decided to stay in my original cabin and take OBC. I feel like they did not reduce the OBC this time because of my complaint or she forgot. I think I will just do it on my own for now on. I can immedidatly send something to carnival without having a go between. Also, I will wait unill my cruise to find out if I still do have any OBC from the TA or not.

The OBC the TA was giving you was out of their commission. Price drops reduce the amount of the commissionable fare. They need to pay bills also.

That OBC (which you generously took advantage of as a "wise shopper")came out of their commisionable "income" ( you know...that $$$ that pays their bills !) from your cruise.... And now you are upset because they lowered the OBC in lieu of getting your cruise rate reduced from the original price??? You can't have it both ways !

In the end, you still came out ahead transferring the booking to the TA, and should be thankful rather than negative and slamming the TA or travel agents in general for this practice ! But thats the beauty of being the consumer, It's your money and you have a choice of how and where to spend your money as well as who you select to handle your vacation arrangements.

I'm not a TA, but I've been in the travel industry (airlines) for many years. Anybody (or almost anybody) who's in this industry will tell you that they're in it for the love of travel, and not for the money to be made. Anybody who's in it for the money doesn't last very long!

A good TA should book you on the cruise that you're interested in regardless of what commission they're making. The mentality should be that if they treat you well and professionally for this cheapie, short cruise, you'll probably seek that TA again for your future vacations, or you'll refer your friends to him/her.

With that said, there are some bad apples out there. I did call a TA once and I told her the specific ship/sailing that I wanted (a cheapie), and she kept pushing me to sail on a completely different cruise line, which not only wasn't what I wanted, but it was also much more expensive. When I told her that that's not what I wanted she started badmouthing the cruise line that I was originally interested in. Not only did her approach leave a bad taste in my mouth, I never contacted her again.

If you're concerned about how you'll get treated based on how much commission that TA will make off you, you can always call Carnival directly and talk to a PVP or reservations agent. They make a flat amount per booking. Regardless of who you deal with, make sure that it's someone professional, with good customer skills, and who you'll trust with your travel plans! You've worked hard to go on vacation. Make sure to deal with someone that will make your vacation the best it can be and not sacrifice for a few bucks!

I'm in the "I'll never turn a booking down" category... your 4 day early saver could turn into a great long term relationship. If a TA is in this business for the right reason, you're interested in helping clients have the best vacation possible. One client's 3 day Bahamas jaunt is just as important to them to another's World Cruise, so until the day comes where my phone is ringing 24/7 and people are lined up around the corner to my office, I'll do my best for whatever you may be booking.

The OBC the TA was giving you was out of their commission. Price drops reduce the amount of the commissionable fare. They need to pay bills also.

This is correct. I had a nice chat with my TA about this very thing today before I transferred the booking. Usually they just discount off the final price. But now because of Early Saver, what they prefer to do is give OBC. So I am getting $300 OBC based on the *current* price.

If Carnival lowers it's price before final payment, I will owe less money by whatever Carnival lowers the price by, but my OBC will be less because they amount of commission they will be making will be less. If Carnival lowers it's price after final payment I will get the OBC from Carnival for the price difference and the OBC from the TA. But the OBC from the TA will be less again because they are making less commission.

Otherwise, as my TA explained, they could end up paying you to take the cruise! If the OBC remained static but the commission dropped, they could end up paying more in your OBC then they would make in commission.

I understand that, but if there is no benefit to me why would I bother with them. I can do it myself. If there is no "value added" for using a TA, than I would be STUPID to use one.:)

If you're concerned about how you'll get treated based on how much commission that TA will make off you, you can always call Carnival directly and talk to a PVP or reservations agent. They make a flat amount per booking.

This is what I have done for now, booked it directly with a PVP. And just to clarify, I'm not worried about my TA not taking the booking or not treating me well. I have 3 other pending cruises booked with him, and two I've already taken I used him for. Really top notch service I must say and good discounts.

I asked this question because I just booked today a Cat 11 eight day cruise for Nov 2010 and he is giving me what I think is a very good price ($300 discount). So I also have the 4 day cruise already booked that will be right before the Miracle. I was thinking I could transfer it to him and maybe they make $25 off this $400 cruise. But then I got to thinking, that maybe with this one he would be thinking in the back of his mind...it's not really worth it.

So I was just trying to gauge what other TA's would be thinking in the back of their minds. I'm glad those that posted did not seem like they would rather not have the booking, even if the commission is not very much.

Also makes me glad that I'm not a TA because I'd be thinking keep your 25 bucks and then I won't have to deal with your questions and price drop requests! :o

That OBC (which you generously took advantage of as a "wise shopper")came out of their commisionable "income" ( you know...that $$$ that pays their bills !) from your cruise.... And now you are upset because they lowered the OBC in lieu of getting your cruise rate reduced from the original price??? You can't have it both ways !

In the end, you still came out ahead transferring the booking to the TA, and should be thankful rather than negative and slamming the TA or travel agents in general for this practice ! But thats the beauty of being the consumer, It's your money and you have a choice of how and where to spend your money as well as who you select to handle your vacation arrangements.

I think that is pretty amusing. I did not take advantage of anyone. I asked before I transferred my booking if my cost would be lowered due to early saver booking and that I would be watching. I was told they would not watch prices, but if I let them know they would take care of it. They did not tell me the OBC they inticed me to transfer my booking with would be reduced. I don't know yet if I came out ahead or not. I will need to wait until I come back from my cruise to see if I had ANY benefit from this TA. In my opinion, a TA should not offer additional OBC for early saver if they intend on reducing it every time there is a reduction in the fare unless they assume the consumer is not informed enough to know it will go down and will not be watching. lf they plan on reducing it, they should have let me know before I transferred my booking to them.

I am fairly new to this cruising world, but do to cruise critic have become somewhat knowledgeable.

I was thinking I could transfer it to him and maybe they make $25 off this $400 cruise. But then I got to thinking, that maybe with this one he would be thinking in the back of his mind...it's not really worth it.

At this point in time, transfer the booking to your TA. The booking has been made, the "hard work" has been done, and all your TA has to do is place one quick phone call to put $25 in his/her pocket! The Carnival agent still gets credit for making the original booking so everyone is a winner.

Hey! $25 is a dinner for two at Applebee's! (well, if you do the 2 for $20 deal, drink water, and not get any dessert!) :)

At this point in time, transfer the booking to your TA. The booking has been made, the "hard work" has been done, and all your TA has to do is place one quick phone call to put $25 in his/her pocket! The Carnival agent still gets credit for making the original booking so everyone is a winner.

Hey! $25 is a dinner for two at Applebee's! (well, if you do the 2 for $20 deal, drink water, and not get any dessert!) :)

Not on early saver........doesn't the TA have to submit all the paperwork for price reductions?

I understand that, but if there is no benefit to me why would I bother with them. I can do it myself. If there is no "value added" for using a TA, than I would be STUPID to use one.:)

This is actually a good point, sort of the opposite perspective to my question. At some point the discount becomes so little you might was well just book direct. I think the issue becomes how much does the OBC go down if the rate goes down.

I'm saving ~12% off the full price of the cruise. So I would expect to lose at least $12 OBC for every $100 price drop. Could be slightly more if the commission is some sort of sliding scale. But percentage wise I expect the OBC to be about the same as it is now unless I get some really big price drops! :D

Not on early saver........doesn't the TA have to submit all the paperwork for price reductions?

Good point! Still, I say, transfer the booking! It's $25 in the TA's pocket

Archived