How bad is deck two??

waterbugohio

I've almost always sailed on deck 2. I can think of only one exception and I'd booked a guarantee cabin and not a specific cabin.

You'll feel LESS motion on deck two, particularly mid-ship. Returning from port all sweaty and sandy, you have only one deck up to your cabin. You get very little noise because the deck above you is generally also all residential - no commercial. We love deck 2.

That said, we did spring for an extra $10 to upgrade to deck 3 on our upcoming Serenade cruise. We did so because, on that smaller ship, there are crew quarters on deck two, in addition to passenger cabins. While the two sections are separated, we feared we might experience more noise living with the crew who works crazy hours. That is the ONLY reason we opted for deck 3.

Downsides of Deck 2 are that you're a long way from the pool deck/Windjammer. However, that's really only an issue early in the morning. You're not far from the MDR, Promenade, etc., so you won't be dependant on the elevators all the time.

If you're on the port side (whichever port the side is on), you're not that high above the dock. On the plus side, you can look out your window and have a great view of what's going on out there. On the minus side, if you're close to the window, folks on the dock can see you too!!

I know Serenade is in the same class as Radiance, and I've had a Deck 2 inside on Radiance...it was VERY quiet down there because there are VERY FEW cabins on Deck 2 of Radiance.

I am just off Enchantment today, had an outside cabin on Deck 2. In comparison to the Radiance class, the whole second deck of Enchantment is nothing but cabins, but it was still more than acceptable. We were midship near the elevators and rarely felt any movement of the ship. The windows were larger than expected. I expected a 16" round porthole, but it ended up being two small rectangular windows.

We completed a last minute cruise on the Enchantment and was pleasantly surprised that the 2nd floor was very comfortable. We got a lot of exercise with the stairs and had easy disembark to explore the port of call.

I have a story about Deck 2..... on my first cruise with my then 18 yr. old daughter I booked a promanade rm on the Exployer. As luck would have it, there was a newlywed couple staying in the room next to us! After the first night spent with a blushing face and pillows over our heads I requested to be relocated to another room. With much understanding from the desk they offered us a handicap room on deck 2. It was AWESOME! Ocean view and HUGE...yes, we got lucky because it was handicap but I will tell you that we felt NO movement at all. I would not hesitate to book a room on that deck!

OMG! :eek: LOL

I will just add one drawback we noticed on our Alaska cruise. The ship arrived and docked in Seward very early in the morning (probably before 6 am), and as we were on a lower deck on the dock-side, there was a considerable amount of noise from crew already loading/unloading stuff. So if you are on any lower deck, I suggest you be mindful of where the gangways and cargo holds are relative to your stateroom.

We're maybe going on the Enchantment in November with a special price for the H class on Deck 3 - the cabins are all forward (right near the bow)or aft. So the bow cabins could have anchor noise? Also, it looks like the aft cabins are below the dining room- would that cause a noise problem? Also there's just blank area outside the aft cabins; crew quarters maybe? Overall, which would be better?

We were in a deck 9 balcony hump cabin on the Mariner last year and it was wonderful except for the smoke from other balconies so are now a little spoiled. But the price is so great and airfares are low so I'm waiting on DH to decide if he wants to do a short getaway. I just want to be prepared to make a quick cabin choice!

Thanks!

Tabby,

we are in the exact same position as you. Our cruise last year was hump cabin on deck nine. Now we are looking at something inexpensive. I am trying to keep the cost way down in hopes that I can talk hubby into it. I also noticed that the deck three cabins were below the dining room, but I was thinking that if you picked a cabin more towards the middle it would just be below the shops. I can handle noise at night, just not at 5 AM.

and I agree Ralphie, if hubby says yes, I will jump on any cabin that is left available. So what if I need to have a few more drinks each night so I sleep better!!

Waterbug, I wish the middle was open but the H category is only the fore and aft (I think that's the old cabins from before the stretch). And yes, just waiting for DH to decide if he feels like going on a relaxing inexpensive 5 day break in tropical climes, plus he can visit his uncle in FLL. Not sure why he's still thinking...:confused:.

Tabby,

Lets just take the two men, knock their heads together and tell them we are going!!

We were ask by friends (past cruise friends) to go on this cruise six months ago, all along he says no way and then last night he ask what the current price is. Now he hasn't mentioned it again for almost 24 hours. In the meantime I am going crazy. I have the cabin picked, the flight picked. I am almost ready to pack (well not quite) and I don't even know how serious he was. I am scared to bring it back up for fear that he will have decided against. I am now just letting the paper with all the figures, dates, etc lay on the computer for him to see!!

Please let me know if/when you decide. Good luck!

Waterbug, are you sure you're not married to my husband? :p I actually discovered this cruise (11/14 Enchantment) for another date when tentatively planning a vacation with a friend who couldn't take the time off. DH wasn't free that week but when I found this I presented it, then investigated and forwarded port details (we're not real crazy about Cozumel), then found the airfares, then waited...waited...waited...:mad:.

Last night he let me make the plane reservations since it's Southwest and we can always cancel and reuse the credit. But it was touch and go when I expressed my disappointment that he hadn't made a decision so I sure do understand your caution!

Two nights ago he finally understood that this was not a planned vacation break where we should investigate other alternatives, just a chance to get a really good price on a nice ship.

I will just add one drawback we noticed on our Alaska cruise. The ship arrived and docked in Seward very early in the morning (probably before 6 am), and as we were on a lower deck on the dock-side, there was a considerable amount of noise from crew already loading/unloading stuff. So if you are on any lower deck, I suggest you be mindful of where the gangways and cargo holds are relative to your stateroom.

One other issue DS and I discovered on our very first cruise. We were on deck 2 of Monarch. Monarch used to arrive in Nassau really early and deck 2 cabins are eye level of the dock! Close your curtains. :eek:

Other than that - Deck 2 was fine. No problems at all.

Well, still not booked and still hoping but in the meantime I found side-by-side deck plans (sea scanner (one word) dot com if the link doesn't hold) and the available aft cabins are not even under the dining room - apparently they're under the kitchen!

OK, link didn't work but you can go to the web site, then ships etc. til you get to Enchantment (or whatever), then deck plans, then "deck plan on full screen" - it's really a cool way to see the different decks together!

Wow, kept editing til I think you can tell where to go! If not I'll start doing charades.

Tabby,

thanks for the site 'sea scanner " yes, it is nice to be able to look directly at all the decks at one time. both decks we are looking at (2&3) the cabins are mid ship. I did notice that the size of the window is much larger on deck 3 than on 2. I am still worried a little about the fact of being claustrophobic.

And don't worry, we have not booked yet either. We did talk about it a little yesterday morning. I just told him if we are going to do it, we should decide in the next day or so. I am worried about the airflights going up. So now I just play the waiting game again and see how long till he brings it back up.

We will start a contest and see who gets the hubby to commit first??

good luck, keep me posted. what ship and cabin did you say you were looking at??

we are looking at serenade, either 2014 or 3596

We're looking at (or should I just say I'm looking at) the Enchantment H cabins, no one specifically yet. It would be a lot smaller than our lovely hump balcony on the Mariner but on the other hand no son along this time (he's a college senior :cool:).

I asked this morning if there was anything more DH needed to make a decision and he said he hadn't really thought about it much more and still couldn't decide if it was something he wanted to do and how long would the price be good? I said it could be good until the day they sail or it could be gone tomorrow and that you don't know until it's too late! He said he would try to decide today. We'll see......:rolleyes:.

OMG yes, I think they are related. When leaving for golf yesterday, I ask very nicely for him to just think about it while playing golf, as we really needed to make a decision. As I said earlier i am really afraid the flights will either be gone, or at a really high price and then possiblity of going will be zero. Well, he golfed yesterday, we went out to eat last night. He golfed all day this morning, came home about 5:00, and is now on the couch taking a nap. NO mention of a cruise or whether I can book or not. I am really going crazy here, and it seems you are also. Maybe we should do some birth certificate searching an make sure they weren't twins seperated at birth!!! (Danny Devito and Arnold???)

PS. where you from??

We're looking at (or should I just say I'm looking at) the Enchantment H cabins, no one specifically yet. It would be a lot smaller than our lovely hump balcony on the Mariner but on the other hand no son along this time (he's a college senior :cool:).

I asked this morning if there was anything more DH needed to make a decision and he said he hadn't really thought about it much more and still couldn't decide if it was something he wanted to do and how long would the price be good? I said it could be good until the day they sail or it could be gone tomorrow and that you don't know until it's too late! He said he would try to decide today. We'll see......:rolleyes:.

OMG yes, I think they are related. When leaving for golf yesterday, I ask very nicely for him to just think about it while playing golf, as we really needed to make a decision. As I said earlier i am really afraid the flights will either be gone, or at a really high price and then possiblity of going will be zero. Well, he golfed yesterday, we went out to eat last night. He golfed all day this morning, came home about 5:00, and is now on the couch taking a nap. NO mention of a cruise or whether I can book or not. I am really going crazy here, and it seems you are also. Maybe we should do some birth certificate searching an make sure they weren't twins seperated at birth!!! (Danny Devito and Arnold???)

PS. where you from??

Sounds like y'all should just book the cruise for you two ladies to go together and leave your hubby's at home. I mean really, how much time does someone need to "decide" if they want to go on a cruise? It's a cruise! No decision needed. GO! :D

No one seems to be offering Deck 2/3 advice so might as well continue our dialogue (wouldn't be the first time extended conversations ended up in threads!). We're in Chicagoland but DH is from CT; I think we're about 10 years older than you! I've met so many of his relatives and old friends that doubt there are missing twins but you never know! Too bad we're looking at different dates and ships... At least we already have the tickets :).

So - anyone ever stayed aft on Deck 3 on the Enchantment? Was the kitchen noisy? Were there crew quarters right outside the cabins? (I'm only asking to stay on message - really would most likely take the bow on deck 3. I looked at photos and they are not near the anchor chains at all.)

I will also stay on subject this morning.

Everyone says that you notice the movement less on the lower decks, however on our only cruise the only place I noticed the movement was while in the theatre for the shows. Is this normal, is it because of being forward, or being low??

Tabby, I was given the OK to check out flights today, (I already have them checked out) but I am hoping that we are one step closer!!

No one seems to be offering Deck 2/3 advice so might as well continue our dialogue (wouldn't be the first time extended conversations ended up in threads!). We're in Chicagoland but DH is from CT; I think we're about 10 years older than you! I've met so many of his relatives and old friends that doubt there are missing twins but you never know! Too bad we're looking at different dates and ships... At least we already have the tickets :).

So - anyone ever stayed aft on Deck 3 on the Enchantment? Was the kitchen noisy? Were there crew quarters right outside the cabins? (I'm only asking to stay on message - really would most likely take the bow on deck 3. I looked at photos and they are not near the anchor chains at all.)

A number of comments were made re deck 2.

Here is a recap: I think most of us agreed about it being a nice quiet area on most ships with good elevator service because it is so low. Some commented about being too far forward because of the movement caused by waves and the noise when the anchor is operated. My only personal comment was about watching your windows when in port because sometimes you might be eyelevel.

Can't help with deck 3.

Archived