How bad is deck two??

waterbugohio

We did our first every cruise last November and like so many others, I got addicted.

Well, now I am trying to talk hubby into the same cruise again this November. I am having a little trouble, but now I found some really great prices on oceanview guarantee. Are these usually on the lower decks. Last year we had a D1 balcony and I am afraid I am spoiled. But a smaller lower deck cabin would be better than staying home.

Also, will I feel more motion in a lower deck??

. . . a smaller lower deck cabin would be better than staying home. . . .

THAT is the bottom line.

Last year DW and I did a B2B on Monarch [almost identical to Majesty] in 2534 [last cabin before the hall starts to angle in to the bow -- i.e pretty far forward]. We have done more balconies than ocean views, but we did fine -- had a great time in fact. Did hear the water sloshing around ["crashing" is a little much] and the day we tendered to Catalina we heard the anchor drop. But the water was no big deal and the anchor lasted a few seconds tops. We just couldn't pass up the price. You know what? We got the same food and saw the same shows and went to the same ports as everybody else. It was small but we had plenty of room for us and when we turned out the lights and went to bed it felt about the same as the JS we stayed in [also on Monarch] a few months before.

In answer to your question, you should feel less side to side motion on lower decks. Far forward you may feel more up and down motion, but we had no problems. We didn't hit anything really rough, but we did have some weather the first day or two.

So when you do a guarantee, is there a chance of a higher deck?? And I think I have read on here where if you are not happy with the room, you can call or ask to pick again, is this true?? Or how does a guarantee work??

Just was very surprise tonight. He has been saying no for six months and now all of a sudden tonight we ask "how much"?

So when you do a guarantee, is there a chance of a higher deck?? And I think I have read on here where if you are not happy with the room, you can call or ask to pick again, is this true?? Or how does a guarantee work??

Just was very surprise tonight. He has been saying no for six months and now all of a sudden tonight we ask "how much"?

Yes, when you do a guarantee you can be assigned any cabin within your catagory on any floor. We always used to do balconys but really like the lower decks of 2 and 3. If you get an inside it's very dark in the mornings which some people don't like (we love it!). The outsides give you an unobstructed view....some have portholes, some have pretty big windows and a superior ocean view (can also be had on the lower decks) give you a bit more room to move around in. Just off Enchantment, deck 3 interior.....called it "the cave" very quiet. We couldn't feel the movement of the ship and if we didn't get a wake up call or room service slept in until 10am......bliss!!

Lynda

PS Suggest you go for the lowest price, trust me...you won't be in the cabin much anyway. Hope you have a blast!!!!

The only thing I don't like about a lower deck is when it's on a Voyager class ship and you can't get there from here because the skating rink is in the middle of the ship. I haven't been on Freedom class so I don't know about how those cabins work in regards to getting there from here.

We hated not being able to cross the deck so much that we always take a balcony on a Voyager class ship, now.

Just a thought.

I know Serenade is in the same class as Radiance, and I've had a Deck 2 inside on Radiance...it was VERY quiet down there because there are VERY FEW cabins on Deck 2 of Radiance.

I am just off Enchantment today, had an outside cabin on Deck 2. In comparison to the Radiance class, the whole second deck of Enchantment is nothing but cabins, but it was still more than acceptable. We were midship near the elevators and rarely felt any movement of the ship. The windows were larger than expected. I expected a 16" round porthole, but it ended up being two small rectangular windows.

The downside to a lower cabin is the necessity of using elevators....it's pretty difficult doing 8+ flights of stairs to get to the pool, WJ, etc.... The upside is the price.

Personally, I won't cruise without a balcony...it's like going to a beach resort hotel, and overlooking the parking lot, IMO!

yeh, but it still beats staying home!!

Exactly! I would do a deck 2 cabin in a heartbeat if the price was right.

I also don't agree with the above poster who compared it to staying at a beach resort hotel and overlooking the parking lot. I don't go on a cruise to spend countless hours in my cabin - I go on a cruise to enjoy the amenities on the ship and to visit various ports. When we were on the Serenade two years ago we barely even used our balcony (and we had one on the hump).

So while the downside of a deck 2 cabin is that you will have to use the elevators more to get to the pool deck and Windjammer - it also means you only have two flights of stairs to get to the Centrum and dining room. When in port you won't have to take any stairs or elevators as passengers leave the ship from deck 2 (at least that was the case two years ago).

Only way to know whether you will like it is to give it a try ;)

We are doing a B2B starting Sept 18th and we did inside guarantees. We got a deck 2 far forward on first leg and a deck 4 midship on second leg. We've done insides, OVs and balconies and it doesn't make a difference. We did request a different guarantee for first leg and got 3rd deck midship (we are happy and the prices were unbelievably cheap). The worst (by far) cabin I ever had was on my first cruise on the Queen Mary (the one in Long Beach). I was very young and 2 sets of bunk beds, a sink but no toilet (bathroom/showers were down the hall behind the "iceberg doors"(as in they'd shut them if we hit one). This really was steerage but a very fond memory.

Last two years, we did balconies. The last 15 years, I got 300 hours of overtime in a year. This year, I've gotten 2.5 hours (to date) of overtime. It's an inside for us in 6 weeks! We don't have a guarantee, though. We selected a cabin on Deck 8 on Grandeur. It was $33 pp more than a deck 2 cabin.

just talked to Royal. It would be cabin 2014. Any info on this cabin??

Have you looked at the deck plan to see where it is, and how many other cabins are down there, where it is in relation to the elevators, etc?? I just did, it IS set up just like Radiance. It will be SUPER quiet down there.

I have a story about Deck 2..... on my first cruise with my then 18 yr. old daughter I booked a promanade rm on the Exployer. As luck would have it, there was a newlywed couple staying in the room next to us! After the first night spent with a blushing face and pillows over our heads I requested to be relocated to another room. With much understanding from the desk they offered us a handicap room on deck 2. It was AWESOME! Ocean view and HUGE...yes, we got lucky because it was handicap but I will tell you that we felt NO movement at all. I would not hesitate to book a room on that deck!

We did our first every cruise last November and like so many others, I got addicted.

Well, now I am trying to talk hubby into the same cruise again this November. I am having a little trouble, but now I found some really great prices on oceanview guarantee. Are these usually on the lower decks. Last year we had a D1 balcony and I am afraid I am spoiled. But a smaller lower deck cabin would be better than staying home.

Also, will I feel more motion in a lower deck??

Motion will be less on deck than the higher decks...I have stayed on deck 3, no problems and I was nervous/worried about it too. I actually stayed on deck 9 once and hated it! It was sooo noisy that I will never do it again! I would take 3 over 9 anytime...

Archived