Janet 110 HELP-formal for 9/05

marvholly

Younger DD is getting married 9/4/05. It is an evening wedding w/ dinner reception. Her bridesmaids will be wearing silver 2 pc dresses. Hit a bunch of the after local holiday sales today (Marshall Field, Saks, Nordstrom, Lord & taylor, Bloomingdales). Looking for black, black w/ silver, or silver dress in long or mid-calf length. Found didly. Am a walk in size 10 or 12. Suspect heavy/all beading is "old hat," also did that for oldest 8/03 and want a change. Thinking lace and/or embroidered. Since this is a religous ceremony do not want to go too bare (strapless) or need jacket with a dress that will stand alone (not totally plain). would cosider pants but only if grooms mom agrees. Like most I am on a budget and really hate to go over $250 as I got away, on sale, for oldest for <$100 (blieve it or not, local dept store at 70% off + senior discout of 10%; even got the shoes at 40%off).

HELP

Hi Holly:) I will defer the attire part of your request to Jane;) ...but I want to give you a BIG CONGRATS on your daughter's upcoming nuptuals!!!!

Hi Holly,

BIG congrats on your daughter's upcoming wedding!

I'm not quite sure how I can help you, though I'll do my best. Is black or silver the color that the bride is requesting that you wear? If not, then depending on your coloring, you might consider colors like blues, purple's, lilac's - those would all look so pretty in the photo's next to the bridesmaids silver dresses. A chiffon print in shades of purples would be gorgeous next to all the silver.

I agree with you that the beading is out and that lace, embroidery and chiffon are much more current.

In order to stick within your budget but still get something wonderful, you do have to hit the sales. And as you know, right now is the time. There should be some great after new year's sales too as the New Year's Eve dressy gowns should go on sale tomorrow. After that, the next big push for the dressy things will be in May and June with the sales starting July 4th and then the new fall things coming in in August. Of course, you'll probably be a nervous wreck if you don't already have something by then, so you're right in shopping now. A friend of mine just bought a black halter gown from Shelley Siegal/Laundry for $50.00 in Sak's yesterday marked down from $300.00. It's from this fall, and though they only had one that was a size too large, it'll cost her about $20.00 to alter. She's now thrilled that she has a dress for her niece's bar mitzvah in early 2006.

I've been in the stores and there are some incredible deals. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time looking for black. Don't discount dresses that you might think are too bare because of the religious ceremony. I have a bare dress and then I have a lace jacket that I wear over it - works really well. So you might consider something a bit bare and then buying an interesting sheer or lace coat/ jacket to wear over it for the ceremony.

Have you tried some of the boutiques like BCBG, Laundry, or Bebe? I know this sounds crazy, but sometimes even a place like Banana Republic might have something. Have you been to Neiman Marcus? What may have been too pricey last week might be marked down further this week. Also, if you see something you really love in a store, but it's out of your budget, find a friendly salesperson and ask her to call you if it get marked down more. I have a shoe salesmen in Sak's that does that for me.

Lastly, do you have a great seamstress? If you do, maybe you could have a dressy top custom made that goes with a skirt you already own or even have a whole dress custom made?

I'm not a fan of online shopping for eveningwear, but only because I need to see how something fits me. I'm just not an easy fit, but if you're an easy fit, then perhaps Ebay might be the answer, if there's a return policy. There's also YOOX.com and Bluefly.com

I wish I could be more helpful, but I'm not familiar with Chicago shopping and it seems you've been to the best places. I hope that perhaps one of my suggestions is helpful.

Jane

That may help with your choice finding a complimentary color. I would second Janes suggestion of purple, lilac, or a very soft floral (not a big floral fan here). I think I'm old school and don't wear black to weddings, even though you do see a lot of it.

Do any of your stores have personal shoppers that can assist you? I haven't used one, but my husband has, they usually do not charge for their service and know their stock pretty well. The good thing is, they will also assist you with shoes, handbags hose, perhaps costume jewelry.

Lois R: Thanks for your kind wishes. I am also going to be a grammy around 8/1/05. Oldest is having her first.

Janet 110: I have been to the major local dept stores like Saks, Marshall Field, Lord and Taylor, Boomies except Carsons and Nieman Marcus. I will be going to NM, Carsons, Loehmans and another Marshall Fields and Lord and Taylor within the next week or 2 and may even go into the center city (1 hour by train) to Filenes. I saw didly even not on sale. None of the sales here were as cheap as your friend found. One dress I did like (not on sale-$200) was only available in off white. I checked the mfg web site and that is the only color. Not for me since this daughter is doing traditional white.

To all: I did think about blue, purple ect. I also never believed in black for the MOB until my my oldest did an all black and silver wedding 8/03. Her dress was silber. ridesmaids did black, mothers did black. I with my dark hair and olive skin actually look best in black and I already have fairly new shoes (sandals) and bag from 8/03 (I am a real hard fit in shoes).

Holly,

I wish you lots of luck in your search. I mentioned purples/blues not because I don't like black at a wedding, but to give you some thoughts on more options.

I hope your search gets you something wonderful. Or maybe you should plan on coming to NYC for a day! LOL! LOTS of good stuff here!

Jane

*******Yes I know about shopping in NYC. Love the outlet mall in Seccacus (oldest graduated from Rutgers). Discovered Loehmans in Parisipany waaay back b/4 I even had kids.*******

Holly,

Your post (quoted above) really made me chuckle. The places you've mentioned are in New Jersey, worlds away from NYC! :-)

We do have a great Loehmann's, the *original* Loehmanns! We also have Century 21, the best discount store. It's down in the Wall St. area across the street from Ground Zero. It was closed for almost a year after the WTC was bombed. But it's such a strong retailer, it survived the loss of revenue and reopened.

Jane

I well knopw they are in NJ. However, that is where we usually stayed to avoid $$$$ hotels. It was generally about 1/3 the price and well worth the tunnel/bridge costs. We have also stayed on LI as brother in law lives out there. Haven't had much chance to actually shop in the city. Have not actually been to NYC since 1999.

I lived in NJ before moving to Myrtle Beach and I do so miss the shopping. I felt I had the best of both worlds. I loved Woodbridge, Menlo Park and Shorthills malls, Loeman's was a favorite haunt of mine and sometimes I would even try my luck at Daffy Dans in Elizabeth. There you had to sort through tons of stuff but would sometimes hit on a Dior, LOL! I also miss my hairdresser who was an absolute genius with his scissers. My DH and I went to every Broadway show and we would also do the New York department stores. What I don't miss is the weather up North. Sorry I have digressed from the original post.

Archived