Hair product recommendation?

elycelynne

Do any of you have any recommendations for a volumizing or thickening styling cream, gel or lotion? I don't want mousse, because for some reason I have trouble distributing it well. My hair is very thin and fine, and I'm trying to find something that won't weigh it down or make it look too clumpy. I've also recently sworn off perms because I've reached that age where I'm shedding more hair than a long-haired cat and I'd like to make sure I keep whatever hair I have remaining on my head, so I no longer need anything curl-related.

Thanks in advance!

Do any of you have any recommendations for a volumizing or thickening styling cream, gel or lotion? I don't want mousse, because for some reason I have trouble distributing it well. My hair is very thin and fine, and I'm trying to find something that won't weigh it down or make it look too clumpy. I've also recently sworn off perms because I've reached that age where I'm shedding more hair than a long-haired cat and I'd like to make sure I keep whatever hair I have remaining on my head, so I no longer need anything curl-related.

Thanks in advance!

Hi i was just wondering if the perms were the reason you were sheding. I only ask as i seem to be shedding alot lately.i dont perm but i do straighten and use a curling iron maybe 2 to 3 times a week. So i was just wondering on your reason, i am going to the hair dresser in a few weeks and was going to bring it up with him, this is a different hairdresser than the one who killed my hair lol

I have thin hair and I've used Back to Basics Thickening Serum for years. I really love it. While I adore Bumble and Bumble thickening shampoo and conditioner, I find for me that the Back to Basics serum works better than the B&B thickening serum. The only problem is that it can be hard to find the Back to Basics stuff, at least where I live. If you have a Trade Secret store nearby you, they carry the full line, and then there's always the Internet!

I am a stylist and use Bed Head root blast...works well on fine hair.

Missygirl

I have a can of this and every time I use it my hair goes limp within an hour or so. I've tried using it sparingly, heavily and everywhere in between, it just doesn't do anything for my fine hair. I'm also a former hair stylist and I almost hate recommending anything online like this.

There is so much more to recommending what really works for a persons hair and feeling and seeing it can make a tremendous difference in what I would think works best for them.

Hi i was just wondering if the perms were the reason you were sheding. I only ask as i seem to be shedding alot lately.i dont perm but i do straighten and use a curling iron maybe 2 to 3 times a week. So i was just wondering on your reason, i am going to the hair dresser in a few weeks and was going to bring it up with him, this is a different hairdresser than the one who killed my hair lol

I don't think it's actually "because" of the perm, but at the very least they probably weren't doing my hair any favors. I was told that chemicals that you put in your hair won't actually make it fall out, but they probably do weaken the hair to some extent.

I think in my case it's more hormonally-related, because I'm at "that age". :D

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest maddycat

It seems like I've tried most of the shampoos on the market for fine, limp hair. I'm always disappointed with the results. However, I recently purchased John Frieda Luxurious Volume Shampoo. It is absolutely fantastic! It thoroughly cleans my hair yet leaves it very manageble. My hair appears so much fuller and thicker. I bought it at Harmon Drugs, but have also seen it at CVS and Shop Rite.

I have tried many, many products-always looking for the best volume and keep coming back to John Frieda's for styling:

John Frieda Luxurious Volume Lavish Lift Root Booster

I love Fekkai's full volume shampoo, it really gives me a feeling of a fuller head of hair but is some what expensive. ($35/16 oz.)

I have tried Chavez, Fekkai, Samy, Redkin, Matrix, and Umberto for the styling spray but no where near the lift that Frieda's root booster plus it is alot less expensive....and not sticky like some. Some were so bad that I could hardly brush my hair.

I always read the reviews and it amazes me that what I dislike, others love so guess each person has their own results based on their hair and how the products work on them.

I am a stylist, and would highly recommend a "root lift" to start with. Redken, Joyco, Big Sexy, and many other salon brands make nice root lifts. They spray on in a stream, usually, and you just apply to the scalp and lightly distribute before blow dry. I would also recommend a mouse as that is typically the basis of a moose, to give volume. But if you don't like mouse, you really should ask your stylist (or get a referral from a friend) and go see a professional. (S)he can give you better direction for your exact hair. Good luck and happy cruising!

I just tried a new volumizer spray. I think it is one of the best I have tried to date (I have tried many, many!).

Blow Up Root Lift

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=226207&catid=119689

There were no reviews but I decided to try it anyway. I am glad that I did. I really like it and it is now at the top of my list!

Archived