Free Pinnacle Grill Meal

fridaythecat.u.k.

Well, now that we have booked our first HAL cruise, you will all no doubt be getting sick of me and my questions soon, and there's still another 11 months to go before we sail :eek:

But, here goes...

We booked our cruise through a US TA as the pricing is so much better than if we had booked in the UK. Also, we get a couple of extras that we wouldn't have otherwise got, including a free meal in the Pinnacle Grill. :D

For those of you that have sailed Princess, is this similar to the Crown Grill? The reason I ask is that, whilst I appreciate the offer, I am a vegetarian and when we were on the Ruby we looked at the menus in the Crown Grill and there was nothing for me to eat :eek:

Does the Pinnacle Grill have any vegetarian options? My DH is a meat eater and loves a good steak, so I am sure that he will love it, but will I end up with just a few veggies?

Also, do we need to book the Pinnacle Grill really early on, i.e. soon after boarding? Or, if we are flexible about which evening we go, is it OK if we leave it for a day or two?

Thanks again for your help!

Pinnacle Menu

The Beginning:

French Onion Soup King Louis XV, Lobster Bisque, Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail, Vine Ripened Beefsteak Tomato Salad, Baby Arugula Salad, Caesar Salad, Dungeness Crab Cakes or the Pinnacle Ocean Platter

The Grill:

Filet Mignon, New York Strip Steak, Bone-In Rib Eye Steak, Porterhouse, Colorado Lamp Chops, Grilled Veal Chop, Chicken Breast, Filet Steak Diane or Filet Mignon Burger.

Sea Food:

Broiled King Salmon, Broiled or Poached Lobster Tail or Cedar Planked Black Cod with Shrimp Scampi

The Intrigue:

Land and Sea (Surf & Turf), Lobster Macaroni and Cheese, Roasted Vegetable Tower

Side Dishes:

Creamed Spinach, Sautéed Button Mushrooms, Sautéed Onions, Asparagus, Scalloped, Whipped, Jumbo Baked or Shoestring Potatoes and/or Basmati Rice

The Finale:

Not-So-Classic Baked Alaska, Warm Grand Marnier Chocolate Volcano Cake, Velvet Soufflé – Chocolate or Vanilla, Creamy Homemade Raspberry Cheesecake, Chocolate And Raisin Bread Pudding, Pinnacle Crème Brulee, Fresh Seasonal Fruits and Berries, Premium Ice Cream or Sorbets and/or the Assortment of International Cheeses.

Pinnacle Menu

The Beginning:

French Onion Soup King Louis XV, Lobster Bisque, Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail, Vine Ripened Beefsteak Tomato Salad, Baby Arugula Salad, Caesar Salad, Dungeness Crab Cakes or the Pinnacle Ocean Platter

The Grill:

Filet Mignon, New York Strip Steak, Bone-In Rib Eye Steak, Porterhouse, Colorado Lamp Chops, Grilled Veal Chop, Chicken Breast, Filet Steak Diane or Filet Mignon Burger.

Sea Food:

Broiled King Salmon, Broiled or Poached Lobster Tail or Cedar Planked Black Cod with Shrimp Scampi

The Intrigue:

Land and Sea (Surf & Turf), Lobster Macaroni and Cheese, Roasted Vegetable Tower

Side Dishes:

Creamed Spinach, Sautéed Button Mushrooms, Sautéed Onions, Asparagus, Scalloped, Whipped, Jumbo Baked or Shoestring Potatoes and/or Basmati Rice

The Finale:

Not-So-Classic Baked Alaska, Warm Grand Marnier Chocolate Volcano Cake, Velvet Soufflé – Chocolate or Vanilla, Creamy Homemade Raspberry Cheesecake, Chocolate And Raisin Bread Pudding, Pinnacle Crème Brulee, Fresh Seasonal Fruits and Berries, Premium Ice Cream or Sorbets and/or the Assortment of International Cheeses.

Menu looks much better than the menu in the Crown grill on the Ruby Princess.

We are looking so forward to our evening dinner at the Pinnacle Grill in 6 weeks! :)

Well, now that we have booked our first HAL cruise, you will all no doubt be getting sick of me and my questions soon, and there's still another 11 months to go before we sail :eek:

But, here goes...

We booked our cruise through a US TA as the pricing is so much better than if we had booked in the UK. Also, we get a couple of extras that we wouldn't have otherwise got, including a free meal in the Pinnacle Grill. :D

For those of you that have sailed Princess, is this similar to the Crown Grill? The reason I ask is that, whilst I appreciate the offer, I am a vegetarian and when we were on the Ruby we looked at the menus in the Crown Grill and there was nothing for me to eat :eek:

Does the Pinnacle Grill have any vegetarian options? My DH is a meat eater and loves a good steak, so I am sure that he will love it, but will I end up with just a few veggies?

Also, do we need to book the Pinnacle Grill really early on, i.e. soon after boarding? Or, if we are flexible about which evening we go, is it OK if we leave it for a day or two?

From what I have been learning, you can order food from any restaraunt on the ship, wherever you eat.

Let's say hubby and I eat in the Pinnacle and he wants the Filet Mignon and Lobster, and I feel like having Shrimp or Lobster Pasta (which is being offered in the Main Dining Room) Hubby and I can order the Pinnacle Grill appetizers, he can order his Pinnacle Grill Entree and I can order my pasta from the MDR, then we can complete our meal with dessert from Pinnacle grill.

I hope that makes sense?? As I said, that is what I have gleaned from reading the many threads dealing with food.

BTW, you are aware that you can order through I THINK Ships Services prior to cruising for special foods and diets???

I'm sure someone else with way more experience than I will correct me if I am wrong...

Come on guys and Gals This time I need you to correct me, if I am wrong. I will not be upset. I promise!!!:)

Sorry Joanie we were posting at the same time. You can order special diets through ships services such as Kosher, low fat and etc. As for ordering food from different locales, I don't think so. I know if one is eating in the PG and wants something offered in the MDR they can obtain it for you. I do not think it works in reverse or any other situation.

We have that promotion of a fee meal also. I also want to do lunch on a sea day on our dollar-I was wondering-do you guys know how late we can schedule lunch? I would like to do a late lunch and then later have a light meal in the lido restaurant that evening.

Sorry Joanie we were posting at the same time. You can order special diets through ships services such as Kosher, low fat and etc. As for ordering food from different locales, I don't think so. I know if one is eating in the PG and wants something offered in the MDR they can obtain it for you. I do not think it works in reverse or any other situation.

OK, thanks kakalina. I knew the MDR but thought I'd read any restaurant. So, I stand corrected happily:)

Menu looks much better than the menu in the Crown grill on the Ruby Princess.

We are looking so forward to our evening dinner at the Pinnacle Grill in 6 weeks! :)

Hi Seagarsmoker- we were on Caribbean Princess with you in October 06 when you got married. Is this your third anniversary cruise?

We were on the Westerdam in April 08. She is a nice ship. We enjoyed her so well-we are on her sister ship, the Zuiderdam in January.

Happy Anniversary!

Looks like lots of Vegetarian choices:

French Onion Soup King Louis XV, Vine Ripened Beefsteak Tomato Salad, Baby Arugula Salad, Caesar Salad

Roasted Vegetable Tower

We have that promotion of a fee meal also. I also want to do lunch on a sea day on our dollar-I was wondering-do you guys know how late we can schedule lunch? I would like to do a late lunch and then later have a light meal in the lido restaurant that evening.

WHEN -- the Pinnacle is open for lunch -- you can make reservations at the beginning of the cruise -- $10 per person -- they will be able to inform you what days they will be closed.

Some ships have the Pinnacle open for lunch between Noon and 1 PM -- other ships the Pinnacle is open for lunch from 12:30 - 1 PM -- need to check with them and make a reservation.

Lunch Menu:

Starters:

1)Grilled Prawn Bruschetta with a primavera salsa - aged asiago cheese and balsamic fusion

2)Mediterranean antipasto plate - pesto virgin olive oil

3)Scallops creme brulee - caramelized parmesean wafer

4)Northwest five onion soup - tomato shallot soubise

5)Chilled carrot and ginger soup - creme faiche and fried sage

6)Chiffanade of greens and tomato tower salad - Italian vinaigritte

Entrees:

1)Pacific rim beef salad - mesclun leaves, mangoes and lotus fruit

2)Alaskan halibut fillet sandwich - sour dough bread, cilantro relish and cucumber potato salad

3)Crab and shrimp cake - exotic fruit chutney, lime Thai curry sauce and orange rice with pine nuts

4)The Pinnacle burger - apple smoked bacon, cheddar cheese and bistro style shoestring potatoes. This dish can be served with a low carb bun and without the potatoes.

5)Sterling silver beef tenderloin with Oregon blue cheese crust - grilled asparagus and scalloped potatoes

6)Penne with grilled chicken breast, lemon basil sauce, sun dried tomatoes and arugula

7)Vegetarian couscous - grilled vegetables and fried mint leaves and harissa

Desserts:

1)Fresh strawberries with raspberry sorbet - sugar dough gaufrette

2)Chocolate brownie decadence - an explosion of chocolate

3)Orange and lime panna cotta

4)Ice creams and sorbets - ask for the day's selections

5)Fruit plate

Looks like lots of Vegetarian choices:

French Onion Soup King Louis XV, Vine Ripened Beefsteak Tomato Salad, Baby Arugula Salad, Caesar Salad

Roasted Vegetable Tower

Typically French onion soup is made with beef stock. HAL has offered it in the past on the vegetarian menu in the MDR, but when French onion soup is on the main menu, it has always been with beef stock. [i know -- I don't eat red meat and I always ask!]

I know my friend who is a vegetarian does not appreciate a salad and a couple of side dishes - especially for a $20 premium. The chef was happy to make up an entree of pasta for her, as I mentioned.

If, as mentioned above, food can be ordered from the MDR for PG guests, then a vegetarian will have the option of choosing entrees from the vegetarian menu from the MDR.

FridaythecatU.K. - just a couple things to add to the information above.

For whatever reason, I've always found my side dishes in the Pinnacle (with the exception of the baked potato) to be less warm than the main course. I may be excessively fussy, but in half a dozen visits I've yet to have piping hot mushrooms, onions, spinach, or scalloped potatoes.

Possibly the side dishes come from a different station in the galley?

I agree the onion soup is NOT suitable for vegetarians.

Yes, I would book the Pinnacle ASAP when you board. Many people book (and pay) online. Don't think you can do that when you're redeeming a gift voucher. Calling HAL ship's services isn't a simple matter of calling a free "1-800" number from the U.K. (or is there one which applies to you? Because the HAL site identifies my internet provider as Canadian, all information I see is geared to Canadians.)

Finally - love your avatar....and a visit to your city is still on my life list. (Edith Partager inspired a lot of interest in Shrewsbury!)

But, here goes...

Our daughter is a vegetarian, but she does occasionally eat seafood. She had the lobster and macaroni with cheese. She loved it. If you don't eat seafood there is the vegetable tower which I'm sure is wonderful as is almost everything in the Pinnacle Grill. The asparagus is wonderful as are the mushrooms.

Some vegetarians do not consume dairy products, so the creamed spinach, cheesecake, ice cream and assorted cheeses would be out along with the potatoes.

Also anything containing gelatin in the ingredients would not be suitable as gelatin is made from animal products.

FridaythecatU.K. - just a couple things to add to the information above.

For whatever reason, I've always found my side dishes in the Pinnacle (with the exception of the baked potato) to be less warm than the main course. I may be excessively fussy, but in half a dozen visits I've yet to have piping hot mushrooms, onions, spinach, or scalloped potatoes.

Possibly the side dishes come from a different station in the galley?

I agree the onion soup is NOT suitable for vegetarians.

Yes, I would book the Pinnacle ASAP when you board. Many people book (and pay) online. Don't think you can do that when you're redeeming a gift voucher. Calling HAL ship's services isn't a simple matter of calling a free "1-800" number from the U.K. (or is there one which applies to you? Because the HAL site identifies my internet provider as Canadian, all information I see is geared to Canadians.)

Finally - love your avatar....and a visit to your city is still on my life list. (Edith Partager inspired a lot of interest in Shrewsbury!)

WoW! Thanks to all of you for your informative and helpful replies :) I feel very reassured. For info, I eat dairy and eggs but no meat or fish, so it looks like there will be some things for me to choose, or if not, a pasta dish or something from the MDR. At least DH will be happy because he really liked the look of the menu on the Crown Grill, but the only way he could have gone was on his own :eek:

Shrewsbury is a nice market town (not big enough to be classed as a city), lots of tudor wobbly buildings and stuff - you will enjoy it here and the surrounding countryside, which is actually where I live, about 8 miles from the town centre. Let us know if you visit and you can pop round and have a cup of tea :D

Shrewsbury is a nice market town (not big enough to be classed as a city), lots of tudor wobbly buildings and stuff - you will enjoy it here and the surrounding countryside, which is actually where I live, about 8 miles from the town centre. Let us know if you visit and you can pop round and have a cup of tea :D

I would love to pop by for tea someday - I may just hold you to that. :)

However, that does bring up a different issue: how tea is made aboard. You will be presented with a variety of hygienically wrapped teabags, and steaming water will be poured over your choice into your cup. Most cruisers consider this normal.

(P.S. - perhaps it's because we have such a low population for our country's size, but Canadians refer to a urban area of greater than 15,000 as a "city". Odd, but true!)

I would love to pop by for tea someday - I may just hold you to that. :)

However, that does bring up a different issue: how tea is made aboard. You will be presented with a variety of hygienically wrapped teabags, and steaming water will be poured over your choice into your cup. Most cruisers consider this normal.

(P.S. - perhaps it's because we have such a low population for our country's size, but Canadians refer to a urban area of greater than 15,000 as a "city". Odd, but true!)

Elo you two, Fanish when you go (notice I didn't say if :D) make sure you visit the Dingel "This garden (sometimes known as Shrewsbury's Enchanted Garden) was created originally between 1875 and 1879, but The Dingle dates back several hundred years before that

In 1647 a woman was burned at the stake here for poisoning her husband"

2009639110031120653fMGDWk_th.jpg

Beautiful spot on the river Severn

Have Great Weekend

Luckily, (from reading that!) I don't drink tea that much apart from when I am at home (when I drink loads!). I tend to drink coffee when on hols, so no worries there!

Shrewsbury has a population of around 70,000 and is no-where near a city here :D I think we are much more densely packed in on our little island!

(BTW - love your avatar too!)

Elo you two, Fanish when you go (notice I didn't say if :D) make sure you visit the Dingel "This garden (sometimes known as Shrewsbury's Enchanted Garden) was created originally between 1875 and 1879, but The Dingle dates back several hundred years before that

Yes, the Dingle is a beautiful spot!;)

When you go to grill to make res. discuss what you want with Maitre D. If you are well taken care of tip him afterwards.With advance notice you should be able to get any dinner you want.

Thanks for the tip (no pun intended!) :D I'm sure that I will be more than satisfied with my meal after everyone's great advice on here :)

Archived