Gillett Travel in Administration

LibraLass41

Gillett Travel are a cruise TA, this info might be of interest to anyone with a cruise booking with them, a post on PandO site says they have gone into Administration.

Best to contact P&O direct to discuss with them if you have a cruise booking with Gillett.

Yep, we had the call on Sat pm, told everything is now via P&O, we have paid full money to Gillette as we travel in Nov, drove to there shop today to see if I could get any info, letter posted on window CLOSED, looks like they have gone under.

Very worried now as we have paid a lot of money to them, P&O been good they have confirmed we are still travling just need to send them proof of payment, not slept since Saturday wondering whats what, hopfull true to p&o words all is ok but not 100%, anybody else booked with them?

Rgds

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

We are travelling with RCL in October and it seems that Gillett haven't sent the money over.

Having to go back to the credit card company which is taking a long time to get the money back to then pay RCL. Going in just over 3 weeks I hope, but at the moment whilst the booking is confirmed the holiday doesn't seem to be.

Are P&O asking for the payment again or just honouring the booking, do you know if Gillett paid them?

We have only had the cruise booked 3/4 weeks so it seems we could be in a tricky position and don't know where we really stand. :(

We are travelling with RCL in October and it seems that Gillett haven't sent the money over.

Having to go back to the credit card company which is taking a long time to get the money back to then pay RCL. Going in just over 3 weeks I hope, but at the moment whilst the booking is confirmed the holiday doesn't seem to be.

Are P&O asking for the payment again or just honouring the booking, do you know if Gillett paid them?

We have only had the cruise booked 3/4 weeks so it seems we could be in a tricky position and don't know where we really stand. :(

I'll see what I can find out and come back to you asap..;)

Gillett Travel are ABTA registered so failling any joy from P & O your payments will be covered. I think you need to do 3 things - contact P&O, inform your card company and contact ABTA.

The problem as always is the delay in getting settlement and getting your cruise.

Hope all goes well for you.

David.

But do ABTA cover missing payments?

Is a cruise a Package holiday?

I couldn't get a definitive answer from their website

http://www.abta.com/consumer-services/protecting_your_travel_arrangements

but did see this

ABTA may not be able to recover your money for you but we can assist in taking the matter up with the relevant authorities.

which worried me enough to use a credit card rather than a debit card earlier this year.

:confused:

perhaps I should have followed their advice from the next line

You should always ask when making your booking.

My thoughts are, when the holiday has been paid for by credit card, I believe Abta advise the customer to claim the refund from the credit card company

I think you may well have to bite the bullet and pay the money again to the cruise line and simply wait for the refund to come through.

But perhaps you should call both Abta and RC and ask for advice?

Hello there,

We are in the same position, travel in 7 weeks. P&O have sent us the letter to which we have to prove payment was made to Gillette, they have assured us that no disruption to the holiday we are still going and P&O will claim back from ABTA.

It's been a worrying past few weeks but apparently they have to honor all bookings made, so you should be ok.

What makes my blood boil is that this company must of know things were not 100% and they have the bloody cheek to take you money from you, thieves thats all there people are.

Rgds

Andy

I called ABTA and they said Royal Caribbean should honour the booking due to agency law, what ever that is.

But it appears that RCL have been a member of ABTA for wait for it, one week, so no cover from their point of view.

I've gone to the credit card company as that is my only route, RCL need the money to honour the booking.

If it was a cruise that was in the US and the holiday was booked with a flight then ATOL would cover the holiday. ABTA seem to only help ensure your booking was passed to the holiday company.

For Gillett it seems that they have been selling some of the cruises at extremely close to cost. Thus when things have slowed down and some of the cruise companies reduced the commission they haven't been able to make ends meet.

Fingers crossed it will all work out, I've got 3 weeks to sort it out. :o:(:confused::eek:

I will need a holiday at the end of it. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Scooby1,

No p&o have just kept everything as was, we have had to send them proof of payment. Just had all the flight stuff through and also a letter from them saying thanks for providing the info and know travel arrangements will be affected. They have been really good and professional about the whole issue, when they could of made us go stright to ABTA to get our money back and also no holiday.

Rgds

Andy

I called ABTA and they said Royal Caribbean should honour the booking due to agency law, what ever that is.

A travel agent is someone who acts on your behalf, creating a contract between you and the cruise company.

Therefore if the agent disappears, the contract is unaffected.

This is an obviously very simple version of agency law, and there are a myriad of qualifications, so don't treat it as gospel, or you may come unstuck. But that's the basic principle.

Hello there,

We are in the same position, travel in 7 weeks. P&O have sent us the letter to which we have to prove payment was made to Gillette, they have assured us that no disruption to the holiday we are still going and P&O will claim back from ABTA.

It's been a worrying past few weeks but apparently they have to honor all bookings made, so you should be ok.

What makes my blood boil is that this company must of know things were not 100% and they have the bloody cheek to take you money from you, thieves thats all there people are.

Rgds

Andy

Well yes, on the other hand if you are in business and cash is a bit tight the last thing you want to do is tell your customers not to pay you in case you go bust.

A travel agent is someone who acts on your behalf, creating a contract between you and the cruise company.

Therefore if the agent disappears, the contract is unaffected.

This is an obviously very simple version of agency law, and there are a myriad of qualifications, so don't treat it as gospel, or you may come unstuck. But that's the basic principle.

Indeed, unfortunately it seems RCL aren't playing ball, MMmmm will have to see what happens but its not being dealt with in the same way as P&O put it that way. :rolleyes:

Scooby

This was posted on the P&O site today:

this is an official press release from ABTA

HORWICH-based cruise travel agent G&B Travel, which traded as Gillett Travel, has gone out of business.

The company acted as an agent for the major cruise lines and operated from an office in Lee Lane.

ABTA, The Travel Association, said the company could not meet its future liabilities.

The company had 4,000 forward bookings and ABTA said customers would have their holidays honoured.Customers are advised to deal directly with their cruise company.

Maybe worth you reading the thread on the P&O site? A few useful comments from others in the same situation as you..

Go to P&Ocruises.co.uk/Community

in the General chat section under Gillett Travel thread.

Archived