Wind Star 12/19/09..T/A says "Dont Go"

roomiec

I contacted my T/A for some pricing and availability for the Wind Star 12/19 Costa Rica R/T. We sailed with Wind Star a number of years ago, and were anxious to sail them again.

The response from my T/A caught me totally by surprise. After quoting the price she added the statement the the line was in financial trouble, and the ships were old and that it would not be a good idea to take this cruise.

I know there has been some discussion about the new owners and their ability to remain financially stable, but now I'm not sure whether to take this cruise or not.

Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge to help?

I contacted my T/A for some pricing and availability for the Wind Star 12/19 Costa Rica R/T. We sailed with Wind Star a number of years ago, and were anxious to sail them again.

The response from my T/A caught me totally by surprise. After quoting the price she added the statement the the line was in financial trouble, and the ships were old and that it would not be a good idea to take this cruise.

I know there has been some discussion about the new owners and their ability to remain financially stable, but now I'm not sure whether to take this cruise or not.

Like us, you were probably enticed by the current terrific Flash Offers. We had a Regent cruise canceled due to an accelerated dry dock for the Navigator and were "locked" into this December time frame. We are on the 12/13 Wind Surf RT sailing from Barbados. It fit our schedule, the price was realy attractive, the airfare was reasonable, and we loved the port-intensive yet relaxed nature of both Wind Star and the itinerary.

Having seen the posts on this board regarding the financial problems the owners are dealing with, we have read the recent reviews and comments with great interest. By all accounts, the on-board product is faring well.

We booked with eyes wide open and took out 3rd party insurance that would protect us in the case of bankruptcy. I think if you love the itinerary, get a great price, and take the necessary precautions to protect your "investment" I say go for it. We are really looking forward to this cruise more than the Regent cruise that was canceled.

Hello ROOMIEC!!

Just to let you know that one of our high level executives with AAA just got off a Windstar cruise about 3 weeks ago. She has been on ALL the cruise lines at least once. She said that the Windstar cruise was she was on was one of the best cruises EVER. This woman is VERY knowledgeable and knows her stuff. Like the other response you received, I would just protect your investment. I was able to secure trip insurance from AMEX for my next Windstar cruise coming up on 4 Oct. 2009. This will be my 3rd cruise on Windstar and out of all the cruises that I have done(9), Windstar is my favorite. Its a totally different type of cruise where you lift a finger for nothing. You will not feel like you are being herded like cattle. You will love it. I will be back from our cruise on the 14th of Oct. 2009, so I will post my comments upon my return.

Happy Travels!

Your TA does not know what she is talking about. This is why I don't use one. We were on the Windstar in the Med in July. Ship was in very, very good condition, and this was my fifth Windstar cruise since 1988.

I would certainly book this cruise, and of course, I always recommend people purchase travel insurance. We found no deterioration in food quality, service, etc. It was our favorite and best cruise to date.

There are no guarantees for anything in life. Do what feels right to you.

Thanks to all who responded.Based on that, and the fact that the parent company stock rose quite a bit on Friday, we will book the Costa Rica trip......with insurance of course.

BTW...has anyone experienced the Costa Rica itinerary with Windstar?

Hello again!!

I have not cruised Windstar in that part of the world. I am sure it will be great! I have just done roundtrip Barbados and rountrip St. Thomas.

Have a great time!

I am sure things will get better for Windstar.

Happy Travels!

Shanon;)

I would absolutely book Windstar without hesitation, but I would take out insurance just in case. The onboard product, service, upkeep, etc. is all excellent, at least based on my WIND STAR cruise last month. The only issue is the financial stability of the parent company, Ambassadors International. They continue to have difficulties although hopefully things are looking up. They have been trying to divest the Steamboat operation without much success, and keep Windstar as the primary focus.

One thing I heard was that Carnival Corp. financed the loan that Ambassadors took out to purchase Windstar. Basically this means that if Ambassadors defaults on the loan, Windstar could end up back in the hands of Carnival Corp. What exactly Carnival would do in that situation is anyones guess.

Ernie

Do not sail windstar. Was on windsurf for 2 awful weeks in Europe. Dirty old ship, terrible service, rude staff, ants in bed, flies in dining room, Terrible service. DON't Go

Do not sail windstar. Was on windsurf for 2 awful weeks in Europe. Dirty old ship, terrible service, rude staff, ants in bed, flies in dining room, Terrible service. DON't Go

I've sailed on almost 80 cruises and none have deserved such comments. I've found none are 100% positive and none 100% negative.

I smell a Troll.

Ernie

Departed Wind Surf on Sept 6 after a wonderful week of cruising along the coast of Croatia. Found the ship to be in fine shape, service and food were excellent. One of the the best Windstar cruises we have taken.

Hard to believe that Mystichill's review is about the same ship.

We love Windstar.

Gosh. I was on board for three weeks in March, so before she went into dry dock, and none of those things were true then.

For such a deterioration in such a short space of time seems both surprising and unlikely.

Mands

Hi,

I may not have a lot of posts but I am an experienced cruiser. 48 cruises over the past 20+ years on everything from the QE2 to SeaDream. I am very picky! I have been on Windstar twice and both times the bar service and food service was well above average bordering on excellent. The condition of the cabins and overall ship conditions were excellent.

We just returned from HAL Alaska and was seriously disappointed in food and service. We are planning Windstar Costa Rica this December.

I cant imagine EVERYTHING on any ship being bad, especailly a Windstar ship

Thanks to all who responded.Based on that, and the fact that the parent company stock rose quite a bit on Friday, we will book the Costa Rica trip......with insurance of course.

BTW...has anyone experienced the Costa Rica itinerary with Windstar?

Yes, and it was fantastic!

Your TA does not know what she is talking about. This is why I don't use one.

I usually don't use a TA, but a good one who specializes in luxury cruising can be invaluable... getting extra shipboard credits, smoothing out any wrinkles, etc. I highly recommend!

I've sailed on almost 80 cruises and none have deserved such comments. I've found none are 100% positive and none 100% negative.

I smell a Troll.

Ernie

Ernie, I agree. There may have been some negatives (always are) for mystichill, but the comments seem too negative to be truly believed. I would buy it more, if some of the positives (there always are) were included.

Your TA does not know what she is talking about. This is why I don't use one. We were on the Windstar in the Med in July. Ship was in very, very good condition, and this was my fifth Windstar cruise since 1988.

I would certainly book this cruise, and of course, I always recommend people purchase travel insurance. We found no deterioration in food quality, service, etc. It was our favorite and best cruise to date.

There are no guarantees for anything in life. Do what feels right to you.

At least the Windsurf is in great condition - no way would I call it "old". We were just on it in May but also in Dec 2007 and Sept 2007 just after major renovations. BEAUTIFUL! I have not been on one of the smaller ships recently enough to comment on their current condition personally.

Hi,

I may not have a lot of posts but I am an experienced cruiser. 48 cruises over the past 20+ years on everything from the QE2 to SeaDream. I am very picky! I have been on Windstar twice and both times the bar service and food service was well above average bordering on excellent. The condition of the cabins and overall ship conditions were excellent.

We just returned from HAL Alaska and was seriously disappointed in food and service. We are planning Windstar Costa Rica this December.

I cant imagine EVERYTHING on any ship being bad, especailly a Windstar ship

Off thread, but sorry about your bad Alaska trip on HAL. We just had a great one on Silversea and at quite a bargain. We love Windstar, too!

First: Wind Surf is not Wind Star. I don't think problems with one ship as far as condition, etc, should not be equated to either of the other ships, such as Wind Star, unless actually experienced. We have sailed both, admittedly, not in quite a while. We prefer Wind Star to Wind Surf, but mostly because of the smaller size and cozier feel.

Second: We sailed Wind Star for Costa Rica trip several years ago and LOVED it! Absolutely LOVED it! Great itinerary, great shore options, fun group of passengers and on-board experience was top-notch., plus Costa Rica is a beautiful and very friendly country. We are doing that trip again, on Jan. 9, only this time, we intend to spend more time pre and post cruise in CR.

First: Wind Surf is not Wind Star. I don't think problems with one ship as far as condition, etc, should not be equated to either of the other ships, such as Wind Star, unless actually experienced. We have sailed both, admittedly, not in quite a while. We prefer Wind Star to Wind Surf, but mostly because of the smaller size and cozier feel.

Second: We sailed Wind Star for Costa Rica trip several years ago and LOVED it! Absolutely LOVED it! Great itinerary, great shore options, fun group of passengers and on-board experience was top-notch., plus Costa Rica is a beautiful and very friendly country. We are doing that trip again, on Jan. 9, only this time, we intend to spend more time pre and post cruise in CR.

The Costa Rica trip on the Windstar was among our favorites, too. We also loved the Tabacon Lodge near the Arenal Volcano. north of San Jose, for our post cruise stay.

Archived