Booking 2 inside rooms MUCH cheaper than 1 balcony room?

computerkitten

If you have 2 toddlers and book 2 inside rooms, is that much cheaper than 1 balcony room? My husband seems to think that it might be $1500.00 cheaper? He was going to go out and research this again tonight but thought I would post here to see what others thought.

Thanks for the feedback.

Computerkitten

I would think it would be cheaper, but of course no rule of thumb as to how much difference in price.

I find it can be as much as double to go from the cheapest inside to the cheapest balcony .....so even with the 3/4 pax discount two insides will most often be cheaper ... but you can always find that exception.

I have booked a balcony for $899 and an insidde may have been $499, so no, two insides would cost more but not that much more.

You mentioned 2 toddlers - is it just the four of you going? I don't know if I would want to put two toddlers alone in a cabin! Plus they would not take up that much space in a balcony cabin, so I would probably opt for that.

For two teens, I think the two insides would be my choice.

My husband would be booked with 1 toddler in one room and then I would be booked in the other. They are 2 2-year olds (twins). I was thinking that a balcony would work as we would let them nap and just be out on the balcony with a baby monitor or something. But his initial research he said he thought it would be $1500.00 more for 1 balcony room versus 2 inside rooms but I think that may be an error.

A balcony is nice on certain cruises - we had one on our Alaska cruise because the ship was in sheltered waters, going fairly slow, and there was lots to see (usually within sight of land.)

Out in the open ocean, the balcony could get windy and there's not that much to see, so I would value it less on certain cruises than on others.

We have been very happy with inside cabins. All the rest of the ship is the same, so it really is a good value.

I don't think a balcony with two toddlers woud be bad. First cruise two years ago we had four of us in one room - us and two 13 year olds.

The last two cruises chose to do a balcony and an inside because the pricing wasn't that bad to do it that way. It worked out great - especially since teenage boys think they have to change and shower every few hours - but think the toddlers would be okay.

Would be interesting to see what your husband finds out because I have priced all different ways and I don't think it will be that much of a savings if any.

My husband would be booked with 1 toddler in one room and then I would be booked in the other. They are 2 2-year olds (twins). I was thinking that a balcony would work
This is just (never had kids) me being paranoid, but it would scare the crap out of me having 2 year olds in a balcony cabin. I don't care if the railing is 45 inches high and the doors lock.

My husband would be booked with 1 toddler in one room and then I would be booked in the other. They are 2 2-year olds (twins). .

Are the twins big enough to get up on a bunk bed?? That could be a consideration, if they are too big for a pack n play crib, the cabins for 4, even balconys will have one convertible sofa and one upper, or two uppers.

Or the adults have the uppers and the twins on the lower twin beds?? You might want to think thru the bed situation too.

The price difference will vary by cruise.. 3/4 pax are at discounted rates, so that will help the price of the balcony.

A balcony is nice on certain cruises - we had one on our Alaska cruise because the ship was in sheltered waters, going fairly slow, and there was lots to see (usually within sight of land.)

Out in the open ocean, the balcony could get windy and there's not that much to see, so I would value it less on certain cruises than on others.

We have been very happy with inside cabins. All the rest of the ship is the same, so it really is a good value.

We loved our balcony cabin on the Victory Caribbean cruise a few years back. We loved being "out in the middle of nowhere" with no land in sight. It's very peaceful.....I'd be more concerned about the twins being in the upper bunks.

I'm a twin mom, too. :)

Side balconies on the open sea are not at all windy.

Regarding two year olds in a balcony cabin: There is no way a two year old could open that heavy balcony door even if it weren't locked. And, the lock itself is quite high on the door and a two year old could never reach it. Besides, show me a parent of a two year old that wouldn't wake up when their two year old (in the room with them) makes the slightest sound.

Here's what would have to happen for the two year old to fall off the balcony: He'd have to climb out of bed, across mom and dad's bed, drag the vanity stool over to the balcony door and add a phone book on top of the stool in order to reach the very high lock. Then he'd have to move the stool out of the way so he could push the very heavy door while at the same time pushing the door handle down that he can barely reach. Finally, he would have to take the patio chair over to the balcony railing so he could climb up and over the railing.

In the meantime, the noise from the door opening (which is substantial) would wake even the most rum-soaked parents.

Admittedly, it might be possible that two 2 year-olds could accomplish this if they planned carefully and one stood on the other's shoulders.

I say, take the balcony if you can possibly afford it. Well worth it!

So is it true that its real expensive to add on a 3rd or 4th guest to the balcony room? More than the total of 2 inside rooms?

Thanks,

CK

??? I think several people have posted that they tried booking 4 to a balcony or two insides with 2 each and the difference was only a couple of hundred dollars, but could vary ...

not sure I get your question, thought people had said it would only be a little more, maybe even $100 ... is that your idea of real expensive??

give us a date and a ship and people can be more exact ...

??? I think several people have posted that they tried booking 4 to a balcony or two insides with 2 each and the difference was only a couple of hundred dollars, but could vary ...

not sure I get your question, thought people had said it would only be a little more, maybe even $100 ... is that your idea of real expensive??

give us a date and a ship and people can be more exact ...

I'm getting a headache :confused:

Here is a quick question, why would you book 2 rooms for a family vacation? It seems odd to me... I may be wrong here but I thought that inside cabins have 4 beds as well.

I just did a quick check on pricing for a cruise for 4 in a balcony and 2 cabins of 2 inside for sept of next year. The difference in price is 160. If I were you I would book the balcony and then both kids can sleep on the pull out. I know some kids roll out of bed and it would not be so bad if in case they happen to do this.

Or a inside cabin for 4 would be 500 less then a balcony. No pull out bed but there are pullman style beds. I would not do 2 cabins. First choice would be balcony or second choice a oceanview. Last would be a inside because of the higher beds,

Good luck!

Are your kids gonna be two by sailing? If not wait so they can utilize the camp program.

I dontknow about getting two cabins with your toddlers in one unless you get connecting rooms. These inside cabins are extremely dark 24/7 (i mean really dark)

with a balcony you will have a palce to escape when the kids are sleeping.

I wouldnt count on a baby monitor for a cabin next door either.

Soemtimes they work- soemtimes they dont

If I were you I would book the balcony and then both kids can sleep on the pull out. I know some kids roll out of bed and it would not be so bad if in case they happen to do this. Good luck!

Just to clarify, the convertible sofa beds do not pull out. I guess that term is a throw back to some sofa beds people used to buy? The back pillows come off the sofa and its made up as a twin bed. Pillows on during the day and twin at night... not sure two twins could sleep in one twin or not?

... also you suggested they get a inside for the 4 of them. In that case there would be NO convertible sofa. the only bed configuration for 4 inside is two lowers and two uppers, no convertible sofa .. that is a option with the balcony, not a inside cabin...at least on the ships Iv been on.

If you have 2 toddlers and book 2 inside rooms, is that much cheaper than 1 balcony room? My husband seems to think that it might be $1500.00 cheaper? He was going to go out and research this again tonight but thought I would post here to see what others thought.

Thanks for the feedback.

Computerkitten

$1500 cheaper - no.

A little less though. Depending on the length of cruise and time of year - the rate for 3rd and 4th pass varies.

hahahaha I just got back from dinner and saw all the postings here. Okay so our twins will be 2 years old before the cruise. They will need to be in cribs. So my vote is for a balcony of course too like most of you. But my husband was thinking it would be like a ton more for 2 inside cabins... and when I said inside cabin I meant inside CONNECTING cabins. I would not even consider it unless they connected.

So this just leaves me to another question...if I get 1 balcony room is there enough room for 2 cribs? I suppose I could put them in 1 crib if I had to if it was a normal sized crib...would be cramped and they have slept in pack-n-plays together...but anyways does anyone know if there is enough room for 2 cribs in a balcony room?

Thanks,

CK

So this just leaves me to another question...if I get 1 balcony room is there enough room for 2 cribs? I suppose I could put them in 1 crib if I had to if it was a normal sized crib...would be cramped and they have slept in pack-n-plays together...but anyways does anyone know if there is enough room for 2 cribs in a balcony room?

Thanks,

CK

Are the twins big enough to get up on a bunk bed?? That could be a consideration, if they are too big for a pack n play crib, the cabins for 4, even balconys will have one convertible sofa and one upper, or two uppers..

.... as I already mentioned they are pack n play size...and they are first come first served.

The inside of a balcony cabin is the same size as a inside cabin. Picture two twins, a desk, a sofa plus the bathroom in 185 s.f. and you will know how much extra space you have left to squeeze in a pack n play. Would 2, two year olds even fit into a pack in play??

The inside of a inside cabin AND the inside of a balcony cabin = 185 s.f. they are the same size inside, except the balcony will have the added sofa taking up space. I cant imagine getting to the bathroom with two of the pack n plays in there.

anyways does anyone know if there is enough room for 2 cribs in a balcony room?

i can't comment whether they even can do this (no kids!), but i think 2 cribs in a balcony cabin would be a stretch... they're 185 sq ft, and already have 2 twins / king, couch, and the desk area... i think it'd be kinda hard to get around, personally...

Archived