Where are the last minute deals?

I've travelled alot, but I am new to cruising. The first cruise I took was last year.

I am not familiar with cruise lines prices, since I've only being checking prices for about a year.

I know airfares are down alot, due to various reasons, and also because of the economy.

My question, to the people who are familiar with the cruise industry, are prices less now in 2009 compared to a few years ago, when the economy was in good shape?

The cruise that I am interested in have availability in all or most cabin catergories, when should I book a cruise? I am hoping to travel somewhere in 2009 (October or November). The final payment date has already passed for most of the cruises I am looking at.

You can check on any of the major travel websites for a starting point. Also go to each cruise line's website and look for a "specials" tab. And it pays to have a good travel agent who can get you even better deals sometimes than show up those places.

Overall, prices are still around the levels they were after 2001, when travel also took a hit. For instance, Holland America is offering 7-night Caribbean cruises in a balcony cabin for $599 plus taxes and fees. You can get an inside for $399.

October and November and the first weeks of December are bargain times for a lot of cruises. We just booked for Thanksgiving week--which is not as good a bargain, but it's the only time my partner has off from school other than Christmas. And it's cheaper than going at Christmas.

Depends on the port you're leaving from I guess...I know that prices are steadily going UP each year on our cruise out of Boston to Bermuda (with a small dip in 09 because of the economy I would think)-in 07 it was like $500, in 08 it was like $700, in 09 it was $600 and in 2010 its looking to be around $800. I'm missing the 09 prices already...:(

I've seen INCREDIBLE last minute deals, but then I've seen ships sell out and prices jack up in the last few months before sailing...its kind of a crap shoot...if you see a price thats too good to pass up, jump on it..Otherwise, if you're not seeing prices that are good enough, I'd hold out and keep an eye on it!

For instance, Holland America is offering 7-night Caribbean cruises in a balcony cabin for $599 plus taxes and fees. You can get an inside for $399.
Then again, those prices are now gone for October cruises. Balcony is now listed at $800, but "closed." I'm not sure what that signifies, except that maybe it's a mistake to wait too long...

My question, to the people who are familiar with the cruise industry, are prices less now in 2009 compared to a few years ago, when the economy was in good shape?

They're lower than 1978 when I took my first cruise. Back then I paid $700 for an inside cabin on a clunky old ship (the Carnival Mardi Gras). And that's in 1978 dollars. I had a great time and thought it worth every penny.

There are a lot of people who are new to cruising who will be screaming mightily in a couple years when the have to pay $599 for a week instead of the $299 they're paying now. They have no historical perspective.

Then again, those prices are now gone for October cruises. Balcony is now listed at $800, but "closed." I'm not sure what that signifies, except that maybe it's a mistake to wait too long...

Yes, timing is everything. A cruise price will jump all over the place until sailing date.

A lot depends on where you want to go and the ship too. Hurricane season thru October usually brings great deals to the Carib. But what is left will be the rooms that early bookers tend to avoid. Booking last min can mean higher air fares and/or flights with many stops or layovers. Which might mean some hotel stays on either side of your cruise. We always look at air and cruises ( or land trips) at the same time if looking for a "deal" and no place in particular in mind.

Moral...when you see what you think is a bargain, go for it. Don't look back.

Archived