It's not an attractive ship....

PokerDave

Believe it or not, there is one cruise line trying to get the Panama government to redesign or widen the current canal so their new large ship can squeeze through. As I am an older poster, and my uncle was a canal pilot for many years when the US had the contract, I understand that is not geographically feasible. In my opinion, let the smaller ships built for the canal diminsion go thru, and if you build a ship too big, go other routes. And thanks for the beautiful pictures.....:o

First off, quite nice bit of photoshop on the above pictures.

That being said, the Epic and Oasis are not attractive at all. I had no idea how unattractive Oasis was until this thread, so thank you for that. ;)

I think the problem with Epic is how contrived and "last minute" the hat looks. Really unbalances the whole thing. Personally not fond of the flat backside either, but thats me. As someone above has mentioned, the QM2 to me personifies what ships should look like. I find that one Very appealing. One ventures to guess QM2 will handle rough waters better than Oasis or Epic.

That being said, its all words...if someone gave me tickets to either of the monstrosities, I would be on board faster than a tick onto a sweaty hound.

Cheers

Zoo

I totally agree with you, pass me a ticket and I am on either. But to me, a classically beautiful ship is the Wind Star. Those sails are striking and beautiful. And the NCL Spirit is gorgeous. But you can't beat the Cunard line for old fashioned clean line, sleek elegance. I don't think they can engineer a 4,000 passenger vessel using those same lines, so I respect those designers and engineers who are providing me, an old fogie, something new to spectulate on. Personally, I prefer the smaller midships that HAL has, but I am booked on the Epic and am thoroughly excited to see her, both inside and outside. It's all choice, if someone doesn't like a ship, sail on another!! And if anyone out there has a free ticket on the Wind Song or Wind Star (I think these are their names.......), please pass along to me!!! P:D

It will be interesting once the ship sails and we see how wonderful or what a let down our expectations will be.

I dont think any of us are ship designers so there is ALOT of stuff we are commenting on and know nothing about. Some may not like the design but the designers sat down and created a ship that would give everyone the most space and creative design. This is not Jewel 3 or Pearl 2. How many times is a car remodeled or redesigned and we like the former model. We fail to initially realize the new design is bigger inside with more options and suddenly the new design we fall in love with. I think this is the same. I would have agreed not long ago that the crown area looked funny. But now, it is like a crown of royalty and there will be alot of envy from the outside.

Having said all of this....... I repeat..... It is what is inside that counts. I cant belive we are even commenting on cruise critic about the exterior of a ship that is not finished. It is your cruise experience, cabin, shows, food, excursions, and inside that matters the most. The ship could be painted black and purple with a Partidge Family bus design. I would not care if I had the best cruise ever with Vegas dinner shows every night, ice bar, roof top posh club with morning yoga, tube water slides, funky cabins and great restaurants. (Gosh I hope I am right)

:)

By the way. Has anyone ever boarded a beautiful ship on the exterior only to find out there was nothing special on board? Boxy cabin rooms, bad buffet areas, not so good shows, etc. Think of the opposite of what we discuss.

On these points, we shall agree. I have read a bit more about this ship and the thoughts they had while designing and building it, I have to commend them for thinking outside the envelope. There are a lot of facets of the ship that sound alluring. I was surprised to find no MDR as we know it, etc.

Therefore, your statement about in v out is spot on. Can't see the "crown" or rear while at a show in the theater or eating in one of 23 restaurants.

Believe it or not, there is one cruise line trying to get the Panama government to redesign or widen the current canal so their new large ship can squeeze through. As I am an older poster, and my uncle was a canal pilot for many years when the US had the contract, I understand that is not geographically feasible. In my opinion, let the smaller ships built for the canal diminsion go thru, and if you build a ship too big, go other routes. And thanks for the beautiful pictures.....:o

Straying way off topic here, but the Panama Canal expansion project has actually been ongoing for several years now and is scheduled for completion in 2014:

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/plan/documentos/propuesta/acp-expansion-proposal.pdf

P.S. Both the Epic and Oasis are ugly ships, IMHO. I agree, the looks of the ship have very little to no impact as to the quality of the cruise experience for the large majority of customers. I do think it is possible for new ships to be relatively good looking though, for example the upcoming Oceania Marina and Disney Dream.

Bubba, better do some more research. ;) The government of Panama has already begun the construction of new locks that will allow passage of today's much larger ships, not just cruise ships but commercial freighters as well. It is due to be completed in 2014. This is not the result of any one cruiseline trying to get the Panamanians to do something that is "not geographically feasible". :rolleyes: Actually there are many more commercial shipping companies than cruise ships that will benefit from the new locks that will permit post panamax ships to use the canal.

Archived