It's not an attractive ship....

PokerDave

I think the truth of the matter is, if you want amenities you have to sacrifice looks. The cruising public tend to book cruise holidays for the sheer number of activities, dining experiences and facilities and it is difficult to squeeze everything into an old fashioned "liner" shaped ship.

Show me a 150,000 ton ship with a "traditional" look and I will show you a cruise company about to go out of business. Small may be beautiful but will never appeal to the mass market.

That said, I would rather be on the Epic looking out than off the Epic looking in! :eek:

I think the truth of the matter is' date=' if you want amenities you have to sacrifice looks. The cruising public tend to book cruise holidays for the sheer number of activities, dining experiences and facilities and it is difficult to squeeze everything into an old fashioned "liner" shaped ship.

Show me a 150,000 ton ship with a "traditional" look and I will show you a cruise company about to go out of business. Small may be beautiful but will never appeal to the mass market.

That said, I would rather be on the Epic looking out than off the Epic looking in! :eek:[/quote']

You know I was thinking that a ship with similar volume as the Epic but with traditional looks that ship will have to be physically huge in size.

Then I remember the QM2... It's not much smaller in volume than the Epic but it's not really much bigger in physical size either. The QM2 is about 50ft longer and 2 ft wider though, both are about the same height.

It does have far less cabins, so maybe that's why the QM2 can have that traditional look and many other cruise ships can't.

When I was in the Navy we stopped in Guam for a week to do some ship repairs. I happened to meet a Navy nurse there that was definitely challenged in the looks department and a bit portly at the water line.

Turned out to be the best week of my life. :)

Don't judge a book by it's cover.

First off, quite nice bit of photoshop on the above pictures.

That being said, the Epic and Oasis are not attractive at all. I had no idea how unattractive Oasis was until this thread, so thank you for that. ;)

I think the problem with Epic is how contrived and "last minute" the hat looks. Really unbalances the whole thing. Personally not fond of the flat backside either, but thats me. As someone above has mentioned, the QM2 to me personifies what ships should look like. I find that one Very appealing. One ventures to guess QM2 will handle rough waters better than Oasis or Epic.

That being said, its all words...if someone gave me tickets to either of the monstrosities, I would be on board faster than a tick onto a sweaty hound.

Cheers

Zoo

I would never attack someone else's opinion. I dont understand how anyone can say they like or hate a ship that is still being worked on in a ship yard. We only get work in progess real photos or annimated photo shopped photos of what they expect the ship to look like. I was not that crazy about the "crown area" but it has grown on me and it looks very royal with a shining crown on top. You cannot judge a ship by the outside. The Oasis of the Seas is so big and bulky from the outside but the videos I see from the inside are amazing. The Epic looks state of the art with curved walls, neat lighting, and top notch entertainment and restaurants.

I dont care what a ship looks like from the outside. I just want to have a great time at sea on the ship. From what I see from the Villa suite that I booked, I may be living like a millionaire for 7 days

Haters beware!

:)

I wonder why they couldn't have put the Villa Complex down right in front of the funnel like they did on the Jewel class ships? They could have pushed the slides forward, like Carnival does... and it would have been MUCH more balanced?

Agreed. The nose (crown :rolleyes:) just looks so heavy. Your solution would have balanced it out quite well. The QG restaurants on QE and QV are there and it looks rather nice. Like a peak or something.

I would never attack someone else's opinion. I dont understand how anyone can say they like or hate a ship that is still being worked on in a ship yard. We only get work in progess real photos or annimated photo shopped photos of what they expect the ship to look like. I was not that crazy about the "crown area" but it has grown on me and it looks very royal with a shining crown on top. You cannot judge a ship by the outside. The Oasis of the Seas is so big and bulky from the outside but the videos I see from the inside are amazing. The Epic looks state of the art with curved walls, neat lighting, and top notch entertainment and restaurants.

I dont care what a ship looks like from the outside. I just want to have a great time at sea on the ship. From what I see from the Villa suite that I booked, I may be living like a millionaire for 7 days

Haters beware!

I respectfully disagree...we shall duel with lawn darts on the promenade at 3.15p :D

You are right that we probably shouldn't judge an unfinished ship. As I understand it, they have released actual photos. Not that they would hide my issue with this particular ship.

As to your descriptions of the inside (of Epic and Oasis) you are right. Both these ships and most new ones are delightful...but oy vey the exteriors...

Remember

Epic is a different ship. It is not Jewel 2 or Pearl 2. The whole ship design is different. The different look is throwing people off. This is not your normal or typical cruise ship. They have moved most suites or villas to the crown and separate from the rest of the ship. The design was to purposely design a different ship. Who wants to keep sailing on another Pearl, Dawn, or Jewel. They are all so similar. Doesnt anyone want anything different?

I wonder why they couldn't have put the Villa Complex down right in front of the funnel like they did on the Jewel class ships? They could have pushed the slides forward, like Carnival does... and it would have been MUCH more balanced?

I am under the impression that NCL wanted the lido to be as big and uninterrupted as possible, and with the process of elimination the hat ended up where it is now.

The villa complex is also much larger than before too, if you place the villas in front of the funnels it would take up the entire pool deck! :eek:

Haters beware!

Even though the ship isn't finished, the shape of the ship isn't going to change any. When I saw the first renderings (the leaked black and white ones) I was flabbergasted, couldn't believe how horrendous the hat and the vertical aft looked.

I've just came to accept and even like it now, but I fully understand why many don't. Putting it nicely the Epic is definitely unconventional and unique. :D

It will be interesting once the ship sails and we see how wonderful or what a let down our expectations will be.

I dont think any of us are ship designers so there is ALOT of stuff we are commenting on and know nothing about. Some may not like the design but the designers sat down and created a ship that would give everyone the most space and creative design. This is not Jewel 3 or Pearl 2. How many times is a car remodeled or redesigned and we like the former model. We fail to initially realize the new design is bigger inside with more options and suddenly the new design we fall in love with. I think this is the same. I would have agreed not long ago that the crown area looked funny. But now, it is like a crown of royalty and there will be alot of envy from the outside.

Having said all of this....... I repeat..... It is what is inside that counts. I cant belive we are even commenting on cruise critic about the exterior of a ship that is not finished. It is your cruise experience, cabin, shows, food, excursions, and inside that matters the most. The ship could be painted black and purple with a Partidge Family bus design. I would not care if I had the best cruise ever with Vegas dinner shows every night, ice bar, roof top posh club with morning yoga, tube water slides, funky cabins and great restaurants. (Gosh I hope I am right)

By the way. Has anyone ever boarded a beautiful ship on the exterior only to find out there was nothing special on board? Boxy cabin rooms, bad buffet areas, not so good shows, etc. Think of the opposite of what we discuss.

It will be interesting once the ship sails and we see how wonderful or what a let down our expectations will be.

I dont think any of us are ship designers so there is ALOT of stuff we are commenting on and know nothing about. Some may not like the design but the designers sat down and created a ship that would give everyone the most space and creative design. This is not Jewel 3 or Pearl 2. How many times is a car remodeled or redesigned and we like the former model. We fail to initially realize the new design is bigger inside with more options and suddenly the new design we fall in love with. I think this is the same. I would have agreed not long ago that the crown area looked funny. But now, it is like a crown of royalty and there will be alot of envy from the outside.

Having said all of this....... I repeat..... It is what is inside that counts. I cant belive we are even commenting on cruise critic about the exterior of a ship that is not finished. It is your cruise experience, cabin, shows, food, excursions, and inside that matters the most. The ship could be painted black and purple with a Partidge Family bus design. I would not care if I had the best cruise ever with Vegas dinner shows every night, ice bar, roof top posh club with morning yoga, tube water slides, funky cabins and great restaurants. (Gosh I hope I am right)

I agree entirely. I am on the Epic in September and will dock alongside the Disney Wonder in Nassau. The DW is a beautiful ship with traditional lines and it will look much better in photographs but, given the choice of which ship I will board to sail off into the sunset then, based upon the facilities (and price!) the Epic wins handsdown.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way. Has anyone ever boarded a beautiful ship on the exterior only to find out there was nothing special on board? Boxy cabin rooms, bad buffet areas, not so good shows, etc. Think of the opposite of what we discuss.

There is much merit to what you say, but as far as providing passengers with more space, how do you reconcile that with the passenger/space ratio of the Epic when compared to many other ships currently sailing? Epic will carry hundreds more passengers on a ship approximately the same size as RCI's Freedom class ships. Unless the Epic's designers have pulled off something just short of miraculous, Epic passengers will not have "more space" than passengers on Freedom of the Seas or its sister ships.

There is much merit to what you say, but as far as providing passengers with more space, how do you reconcile that with the passenger/space ratio of the Epic when compared to many other ships currently sailing? Epic will carry hundreds more passengers on a ship approximately the same size as RCI's Freedom class ships. Unless the Epic's designers have pulled off something just short of miraculous, Epic passengers will not have "more space" than passengers on Freedom of the Seas or its sister ships.

Keep in mind the open decks of unusable space in the promenade go into the calculation of tonnage on the Freedom class ships.

The way I see it is simple . . . I'm not at work. That said, I don't care what the ship looks like on the outside, I just want to be on it. Once I am on, and sitting on my balcony, that's it for me. Heaven. I say if you don't like what the ship looks like on the outside, then don't stare at it. It's the experience you have once you board that matters.

The way I see it is simple . . . I'm not at work. That said, I don't care what the ship looks like on the outside, I just want to be on it. Once I am on, and sitting on my balcony, that's it for me. Heaven. I say if you don't like what the ship looks like on the outside, then don't stare at it. It's the experience you have once you board that matters.

totally agree - well said!! :)

I couldn't care less what the ship looks like on the outside. This is my first cruise so maybe there is some time where they actually hang you from the yardarm and you have to inspect the hull or something?

Otherwise........who cares?

IMG_2414.jpg?t=1267955291

Perhaps some of you are jealous with size envy:p

I've seen you post this picture on other threads before. We get it. Oasis is a large ship. So what? IMO both the Oasis and Epic are not as attractive as some other ships in the traditional sense and being bigger is the reason they turned out looking less appealing than their smaller counterparts. While both being engineering marvels, both suffer from ugly design ideas. Epic has the "hat structure" built exclusively for the beautiful people and Oasis has that "aqua theatre" thing with those silly inside balconies. Also both have those hanging lifeboats that block your views from the outside "promenade deck". I hate that aspect of these new ships the most.

You know there isn't really going to be any competition with Oasis in regards to size since the other cruiselines have expressed no desire to go bigger.(thank God)

So everyone...scream at the top of your lungs..."OASIS IS THE LARGEST CRUISE SHIP IN THE WORLD"...LOL:)

Am I allowed to say that BOTH ships are beautiful inside and outside. I dont see how anyone can say either ship is ugly. I think they are modern and extremely cool. It would be a pleasure to sail on either of them.

In fact, I suspect that sailing on either of them is going to spoil you. How do you go from such a large ship to a normal cruise ship again?

Everything will seem so small and old once you get to experience these gems

I've seen you post this picture on other threads before. We get it. Oasis is a large ship. So what?

Does anyone really think that any of the ships pictured are beautiful in the traditional classic cruise ship style of beauty? Functionality began trumping beauty in cruise ship design years ago and the latest newbuilds are simply an outgrowth of that trend. Before I would commit myself to the proposition that no other line is interested in building a ship that will compare in size to Oasis, I would wait until the economy improves and see if Carnival doesn't resurrect some of its earlier designs for megaships. It was basically the economy that caused NCL to halt construction of a sister ship to EPIC, not concern that she wasn't "beautiful".:)

Does anyone really think that any of the ships pictured are beautiful in the traditional classic cruise ship style of beauty? Functionality began trumping beauty in cruise ship design years ago and the latest newbuilds are simply an outgrowth of that trend. Before I would commit myself to the proposition that no other line is interested in building a ship that will compare in size to Oasis, I would wait until the economy improves and see if Carnival doesn't resurrect some of its earlier designs for megaships. It was basically the economy that caused NCL to halt construction of a sister ship to EPIC, not concern that she wasn't "beautiful".:)

Well to answer your question, the most traditional looking ship out of that bunch would have to be the Disney ship IMO. As far as some line trying to build bigger than Oasis, I don't see it happening again IMO. I agree NCL or RCCL for that matter don't care that the ship looks beautiful. They are concerned with cramming as many paying customers on their vessels as possible. One of the problems I see as a direct result of being larger is the places these ships can't go. They can't transit the Panama canal, can't visit lots of ports that are either too shallow or don't have large enough docking facilities and they can't or won't drop anchor and try to tender 4000 to 6000 passengers ashore.

That being said, as I mentioned in other posts, I still hope to one day be able to sail on both ships just to try them out. Maybe my opinion will change, but for now I would be perfectly content to sail smaller ships without my male ego being threatened as that one post implied. There's no envy here as I don't have to compensate for any shortcomings with a large ship. ;)

Archived