It's not an attractive ship....

PokerDave

Sorry to disagree...well, not really...as from a design standpoint the new NCL Epic is probably the ugliest ship ever to set sail! It looks top heavy and the lines are out of proportion - and then the added insult of "tarting up" the thing with all those awful painted graphics is just too, too much. The first time I saw a picture of the ship I thought it HAD to be a mistake...and was amazed to find out that, no, that's how ugly it really is! Never been a big fan of NCL anyway so the point is moot...can't forgive the line for starting all that "freestyle" dining which has infiltrated (and ruined) traditional cruising for me.

Except the Epic was designed from the inside out, so from it's design standpoint the ship looks just about perfect because it was intended that way.

I've mention this before somewhere else, but the Oasis looks far more top heavy. Look how the rest of the ship is quite a bit wider than it's hull. THAT'S top heavy.

Oasis-Of-The-Seas-302262.jpg

Oasis-of-the-Seas-Sea-Trial-2-600x400.jpg

Too sooth the wounded NCL egos...I don't like the Oasis Class RCI has introduced either - ditto Solstice at Celebrity. These huge new "ships" are really no longer ships but have become floating self-contained all-inclusive resorts where the focus is nearly totally inward and AWAY from the ocean that used to be the reason one went on a cruise. I was interested to learn that the rather unattractive Epic was designed from the inside out - at least that explains the (non) design of the exterior. I am one of those people who LOVE ships and ocean liners - obviously this new trend - the "block of flats" look - is going to be disturbing to us purists. And I've always hated ANY ship that's got graphics splashed all over the bow and sides - it's sort of insulting to the ship and I'm hoping the phase will go away eventually. But I think the marine architects really goofed on this one...I'm sure they could have done a much better job...it looks like it was really rushed into service to compete with Oasis and Solstice in the current size war.

Except the Epic was designed from the inside out, so from it's design standpoint the ship looks just about perfect because it was intended that way.

I've mention this before somewhere else, but the Oasis looks far more top heavy. Look how the rest of the ship is quite a bit wider than it's hull. THAT'S top heavy.

Oasis-Of-The-Seas-302262.jpg

Oasis-of-the-Seas-Sea-Trial-2-600x400.jpg

Yes, she really does look top-heavy. The Oasis is listed on Nauticalcities as having a beam of 154 feet. I've been told that's the width at the waterline...no? Then I read somewhere that the total width of the ship is 207 feet. That would leave over 26 feet hanging over each side of the hull. Yeah top-heavy....:eek:

^^^I too like the Solstice, the curved "character line" on it's hull looks neat.

For modern ships, my favourite design is the NCL Jewel and Jade. The forecastle looks really sleek with the sloping area where the forward suites are.

I also really like Carnival Conquest/Valor/Freedom/Liberty, etc. I think they also look great, with the exception of their aft design; which looks extremely dated.

Funny thing is that I quite dislike the new Carnival Dream even though it's basically a rounded and updated Conquest. The front of that ship reminds me of grampa Simpson when he has his hair slicked back.

epoldmankey.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey You Xmas Cruise Folks! Please post on the roll call! We're just dyin' to meet you! (Jagger) I happen to think the ship looks nice. IS there a wrap around promenade? Just got off the New Year's Eve cruise on the Pearl and can't wait to be cruisin' again!

Well, I'm platinum on Carnival, but no big fan of the ships' interiors. After a day or two, I stop noticing it and the decor really has no impact on how much I enjoy the cruise or fun I have. I think the exterior of the Epic will probably be the same - something to laugh about if it turns out to be really ugly when the ship is finished. All I know is the interior looks really cool and the entertainment fantastic. Can't wait for my October Epic cruise.

Sorry to disagree...well, not really...as from a design standpoint the new NCL Epic is probably the ugliest ship ever to set sail! It looks top heavy and the lines are out of proportion - and then the added insult of "tarting up" the thing with all those awful painted graphics is just too, too much. The first time I saw a picture of the ship I thought it HAD to be a mistake...and was amazed to find out that, no, that's how ugly it really is! Never been a big fan of NCL anyway so the point is moot...can't forgive the line for starting all that "freestyle" dining which has infiltrated (and ruined) traditional cruising for me.

Actually the first time I saw a photo of Epic, several of us thought it was a photoshopped joke. We were on the bridge of another NCL ship at the time, and the ship's officers appeared plainly embarrassed at the look of the ship as well as cruisers' reaction to it.

The lack of a promenade deck probably shouldn't surprise me, I suppose. They are quite apparently hot on the heels of a very different demographic.

Actually the first time I saw a photo of Epic, several of us thought it was a photoshopped joke. We were on the bridge of another NCL ship at the time, and the ship's officers appeared plainly embarrassed at the look of the ship as well as cruisers' reaction to it.

The lack of a promenade deck probably shouldn't surprise me, I suppose. They are quite apparently hot on the heels of a very different demographic.

Frankly.....I think it is an effort to do something different and goes too far......especially with the split and compartmentalization of the bathrooms in the cabins. I will be interested to hear how popular this new concept will be.

and.......how do cruisers that want separate beds book those wave rooms.....

f3.jpg

The above was the first picture of the Epic that I saw, and like you I thought someone was trying to pull a fast one. I couldn't believe my eyes and thought whoever designed the ship had got to be blind. :eek:

Over time though, I grew to actually like (kinda) how the Epic looks. Don't think it'll win any beauty contests, but I definitely think there are far uglier cruise ships among us today than the Epic.

It does sort of have a promenade, not a full one where you can walk all the way around, but it looks like the two sides are connected in the front. I can't imagine it would be a nice promenade with all those lifeboats blocking the entire deck though.

Doing a couple of quick searches, seems like the Oasis and Carnival Dream both have pretty bad promenades.

The Oasis is just like the Epic, pretty much all enclosed with view of the seas in only a couple of areas while you'll be looking at the lifeboats the rest of the time.

The Dream is a bit better, the promenade is very open, but also has very tall glass like some areas on the top deck.

This is too bad, I quite like the promenade decks.

Looking at the pic you posted reminds me of driving miles and miles through wide open countryside and suddenly coming to a section with huge houses, all nearly touching each other, where obviously a developer wanted to get maximum money out of his plot of land, regardless of the quality of life which it would impose on those who buy one of the jammed-in houses.

It just sort of screams "greed" and "lack of taste".

Which I guess makes it pretty trendy and contemporary, huh.

Looking at the pic you posted reminds me of driving miles and miles through wide open countryside and suddenly coming to a section with huge houses, all nearly touching each other, where obviously a developer wanted to get maximum money out of his plot of land, regardless of the quality of life which it would impose on those who buy one of the jammed-in houses.

And I see it as a great way to cruise...with the entertainment, food venues and being different is appearances...which to me means freestyle!

Honestly I fail to see the connection here. Real estate on the seas are obviously at a premium, this is how it's been since the beginning hasn't it?

Honestly I fail to see the connection here. Real estate on the seas are obviously at a premium, this is how it's been since the beginning hasn't it?

Just the way it looks. This whole thread revolves around the way the thing looks.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry...I STILL think its the ugliest ship ever to be launched! What on earth were they thinking? God-awful in my book...

Aha, you already mentioned this. It's not like anyone expected your opinion to change in a bit over a month. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Area below the bridge. :D

The Jewel and Dawn class ships both have forecastles that slope down further towards the bow.

The 'chop doesn't change anything that people hate about the Epic aesthetics wise (mainly the "hat"), I just thought it makes the Epic closer in appearance to other NCL ships is all. :p

Looking at the sea trials photos...it is still an ugly ship. Granted, one doesn't "book" a ship on appearances; but, these new mega-ships are plain ugly. No style at all and that, to me, is a shame.

I tend to agree and the "hat" issue aside, I find that the chopped off/squared off aft section that so many new ships now feature is especially unattractive and detracts from the overall appearance of such vessels.:)

Came up with a very quick and dirty photochop, changed up the forecastle area a bit so it look more like the Jewel and Dawn ships. I like it more like this, got a "family" look to it.

NORWEGIAN_EPIC5copy.jpg

NORWEGIAN_EPIC.jpg

Guess that you'll have to describe it as a "family of one".;)

Archived