Cunard extra tax charge imposed

Cunard Cruiser

They contacted the travel agent. I don't understand how they can charge you after you have paid in full. For example if you buy a car and the transaction is complete how can the dealership come back a month later asking for increased taxes? I have already called Fl Attorney General Office (home state of Carnival) inquiring about this tax.

They contacted the travel agent. I don't understand how they can charge you after you have paid in full. For example if you buy a car and the transaction is complete how can the dealership come back a month later asking for increased taxes? I have already called Fl Attorney General Office (home state of Carnival) inquiring about this tax.

If the port taxes are changed, it is passed on to the passenger, it is not part of the fare. There have been cases where port taxes have gone down and the passengers get a credit.

I found this on the Cunard website:

Government Fees and Taxes:

“Government Fees and Taxes” may include any and all fees, charges, tolls and taxes imposed by U.S. and/or foreign governmental or quasi-governmental authorities including but not limited to U.S. Customs fees, head taxes, Panama Canal tolls, dockage fees, wharfage fees, inspection fees, air taxes, hotel or VAT taxes incurred as part of a land tour, immigration and naturalization fees, and Internal Revenue Service fees, whether assessed on a per guest, per berth, per ton or per vessel basis. In the case of per ton or per vessel assessments, those assessments will be spread over the guest capacity of the ship. Government Fees and Taxes are subject to change and Carrier reserves the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing even if the fare has already been paid in full.

Yes, unfortunately we were informed by our TA about the extra tax too. 28$ and change. It would be nice to know just WHY we are getting this added little treat. Is it a port tax, land tax, head tax, liquor tax, upgrade fairy union tax (although I'd balk on that one!)? Would just like an explanation.......

On our Voyage Personaliser I noted the following for our October 2nd QM2 trip:

NOTIFICATION 5

GOVERNMENT FEES & TAXES UPDATE: Please be advised that the Government Fees & Taxes for your voyage have been adjusted by an additional $5.20 per person effective for bookings made prior to September 11, 2009. For bookings paid in full, no action is required. This amount will automatically be charged to your shipboard account. For bookings not paid in full, the Government Fees & Taxes

have been adjusted accordingly, and the balance due has changed. Please review the balance due amount prior to making final payment.

I would not have been aware of the notification if I had not been obsessively checking the Voyage Personaliser for any sign of the Upgrade Fairy at work (she has to be lurking out there somewhere with a treat for us!). The Voyage Personaliser also has the following notice:

NOTIFICATION 1

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING FUEL SUPPLEMENT

Please be advised Cunard Line reserves the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all guests at up to $9 per person per day if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel.

Oil has been over $70 a barrel, but I do not see any sign of the extra charge anywhere, so hopefully we will avoid it. This could all potentially cut into the Martini budget.:(

Lesley

Safarigal was wondering about the fuel supplement since the cost of fuel has exceeded the posted level. On the Cunard homepage there is a link for this topic. If you click it you'll find it says:

At the time we suspended fuel supplements we reserved the right to reinstate them if the price of light sweet crude oil, according to the NYMEX, should increase above $70 per barrel. While we have now exceeded that threshold, in light of the economic crisis and resulting consumer weakness, we presently have no plans to institute a fuel supplement. We will continue to monitor the situation in the markets and review our position as the situation warrants.

Updated: 06/10/09

So the martini budget will be safe from a fuel supplement, at least for now! Thank goodness!

Sea-sea

According to a posting prior to this , cruises paid in full (Nov cruises are paid in full) will not be charged the additional tax.

I had a call from my agent this morning she did not mention the tax (and neither did I), she was calling to tell me thathe upgrade fairy has been kind to me, From D8 to D2, which means I am now on Deck 12, never been so high before.Still inside but after all that the cat I paid for.

Have you joined the roll call for the cruise? If so will hope to see you there.

Lynn

just take off 2 days automatic tipping.....that should cover it!

I guess the differences in our common language also applies to our sense of Humour!

Don't let my location be an indication of my version of English or humour. ;)

Phoned myu present agent yesterday,her reply was that she had MEANT to E mail re the extra charge! Then it appears she

a/ Told Cunard to charge it to my credit card which she had on file - even though she had not at that time informed me - the client !

b/ She did not KNOW why they were making the charge, if it was port tax, fuel tax or just "lets increase the cost even though final payment has been made " scheme.

I will not be using that agent for next years cruises This was second occasion when she had "meant to inform me" but failed to do so.

Phoned myu present agent yesterday,her reply was that she had MEANT to E mail re the extra charge! Then it appears she

a/ Told Cunard to charge it to my credit card which she had on file - even though she had not at that time informed me - the client !

b/ She did not KNOW why they were making the charge, if it was port tax, fuel tax or just "lets increase the cost even though final payment has been made " scheme.

I will not be using that agent for next years cruises This was second occasion when she had "meant to inform me" but failed to do so.

it would interesting to know, how many have been told about the extra taz, it is just the USA booking, have any UK passengers been told anything, I phone cunard uk direct today and they nothing about this taz, I was told that booking would not have anything added to it now or onboard.

Archived